How to read pynchon?

how to read pynchon?

how would you rank his work from most accessible to least?

Other urls found in this thread:

ww4.gogoanime.io/category/bernard-jou-iwaku
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get his books or some epubs or pdf's, then read them. Not that hard.

If you are worried they are "too hard" just read Inherent Vice and if you like it, read whatever you want after, otherwise just read whatever you want.

Oh shit, Pinecone getting dissed in 2D form

Japan was a mistake

What animu is this?

Bernard-jou Iwaku. it's basically Veeky Forums - the anime

I didn't think it was that complicated

>she don't read at all
hell yeah

>most accessible
Inherent Vice

I see this stated often but how so? The only 'difficult' bit in TCoL49 was the play, in my experience. IV was equally convoluted and confusing, if not more so.

Why aren't you starting with the greeks

i´m starting with the postmodernists

IV is more broadly comedic and, while the plot becomes very convoluted, it's a narrative that will be more familiar to casuals. A private investigator trying to solve a complicated case is much more accessible than a housewife named executor of an ex's estate descending into paranoia. IV is also a bit less ambiguous. Not to say that IV is entirely clear, but CoL49 doesn't really give readers any closure regarding what they've read.

CoL49 is still a great entry point to Pynchon because its so short. If you decide you don't like Pynchon you won't have wasted much time on him because you can finish the book in a couple days.

You should probably start with TCOL49 because 1) it's short so if you end up not really digging the style you don't have to worry about commitment because it can be finished in a couple days (can probably be finished in a day if you are really committed), and 2) it's a good example of his earlier style so you aren't starting with his easiest shit. By starting with TCOL49 you are getting a good taste of what the larger novels like V. or GR will be like but without the commitment.

Where do I watch this?

V. and Mason and Dixon are the most clearly expressed.

ww4.gogoanime.io/category/bernard-jou-iwaku

Do you have to read IV before reading V? None of his other books seem to be numbered like that.

Maybe the Japanese translation is just whack?

Pynchon is easy to read if you aren't trying to make complete sense of it.

Any other Veeky Forums references in anime?

Okay, people keep meming the "start with Crying of Lot 49 it's short" but it is NOT the most accessible. Vineland is an easy read. Can speak for any of his other books for reasons below.

I fell for the meme. CoL49 is short,but pretty much every sentence is Crazy.thats not a bad thing, but it does take a long time to get through and will take a lot of stamina. It took me two years to build up the stamina I THOUGHT I needed to get through a full sized Pynchon novel. I picked up Vineland last week, and it's a total cakewalk compared.

Can't speak * (apologies for my fat thumbs, but I felt like it needed to be said.)

Everything is easy if you don't try.

Not even the only Dostoevsky reference in Shirobako. It's a decent anime about making anime, though probably in no way accurate, but there's no murder mystery, Napoleon-complexes, diseased livers, Bible references, or radical political terrorists

Are you claiming its possible to make sense of Pynchon?

Start with V.
Stay away from 'Gravity's Rainbow' until you've got a bit of experience.
Pinecone isn't for everybody, there's no shame in dropping him if his writing doesn't appeal to you.

Noir.
I fucking loved this series.

Have a (you)

Open the selected work and read it.

I started with gravity's rainbow because I ain't bitch made

I get that this book is loaded with intertextuality that goes over most people's (myself included) heads.
But it really isn't difficult at all to grasp its style, meaning and plot. As one could say for his other works.

What did you find difficult about the play?

I got confused

Oh, about what?

can't remember, it's too long ago

i'll read it again soon and get back to you

>how to read pynchon
turn the book upside down

never underestimate the stupidity of anyone autistic enough to watch anime

B-but evangelion

SZS had a chapter that is basically Veeky Forums and then there's the 絶望文学集/Zetsubou Literary Collection? bits for every volume and chapter names are often puns on titles of or well known phrases taken from literary works

Ep 25 (or 24?) of kare kano references camus

What are you even trying to say with this post?

That it's good

In the last arc of Black Lagoon, a character references Sarte and is shown reading Heidigger.

topkek

Bungou Stray Dogs has characters named after famous authors like Lovecraft.

Ranking from most accessible to least accessible:
1. Inherent Vice
2. Vineland
3. The Crying of Lot 49
4. V.
5. Bleeding Edge
6. Gravity's Rainbow
7. Mason & Dixon
8. Against the Day

Ranking from best to worst:
1. Gravity's Rainbow
2. Mason & Dixon
3. Against the Day
4. Vineland
5. V.
6. Inherent Vice
7. The Crying of Lot 49
8. Bleeding Edge

Also if you really want to ease your way into it, you can start with the pretty good Paul Thomas Anderson adaptation of Inherent Vice.

And full disclosure, I only got about halfway through Bleeding Edge.

Crap, that is the version of Gravity's Rainbow I have. How serious are the errors? And with a book as impenetrable as GR, is it really noticeable?

>bleeding edge
>not #2

>These versions if the books should be avoided (...)

No blurry text in my copy of TCOL49.

>Lot 49 second worst
That's not true!

>t. hasn't read Against the day

And the funny suicide man Dazai. Haha. :)

the errors only exist in the first printing of that edition and were fixed by Penguin pretty quickly the next time around. Chances are you have the version that's fixed which if that is the case, congratulations because you actually own the least error-ridden version of GR. The only major error anybody seemed to be able to identify was a line missing from the bottom of page 139 so that the sentence reads: "Your task, in these dreams, is often to pens." with "pens" being the end of the sentence on page 140. Without the error, the sentence should read: "Your task, in these dreams, is often to cross--under the trees, through the shadows--before something hap-pens" with the "pens" once again concluding the sentence on page 140. As I said before, the corrected version of the Penguin Deluxe edition is the least error-ridden version of GR when compared to both the Bantam and the Viking. I know this because the first time I read GR, I read the Penguin Deluxe (errors corrected) along with the Weisenburger GR companion book which points out all of the textual errors in the other two major editions. I compared every error that Weisenburger pointed out in either or both of the other editions and they were all fixed in the Penguin except for one which was a very minor spelling error on a minor word far into the novel. TLDR: that chart is outdated and you are most likely fine.

is this version fine?

That edition's probably fine, it's mostly the Penguin Deluxe which has been the subject of all the criticism regarding textual errors because as far as I can tell it's the only English edition of the book that ever had a major textual error. The errors mentioned by the Weisenberger which appear in the Bantam and/or the Viking are very minor and don't affect the novel at all really, so even if they aren't corrected in the 1995 Penguin, you're still probably good. The only edition to actively avoid is the first print Penguin Deluxe which has been out of print for a while now, wholly replaced by the corrected version so at this point it's not really as big of a deal anymore. People still freak out and I've been trying to tell people that it's been fixed but that one reddit thread plus the outdated chart keep convincing everyone that it's an edition that should be avoided like the plague which is a shame because it's the most widely accessible edition at most non-used book stores (at least in America).

I was fucking mad

This from GitS SAC. Didn't even realize it was from The Catcher in the Rye despite having already read it already until it was titledropped. In fact, there's a lot of Catcher in the Rye references to SAC. Strange book to choose, but respectable, unlike the Poutpourri of something like Psycho-Pass

>respectable

He rapes his sister, Phoebe.

I AM THE LAUGHING MAN!

I have read Against the Day. I considered ranking it first, but I think it drags on a little too much.

In terms of prose, it's more accessible than other Pynchon novels, but I think ultimately it's the least accessible just due to length and lack of narrative coherence.