Infinite Test of Patience

i'm up to page 755, and it looks like i've only got 2 massive foot-notes left
am i going to predictably completely empty and void of meaning/moral/accomplishment when it ends?
it's a rhetorical question
(i know i will)

Other urls found in this thread:

aaronsw.com/weblog/ijend
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You accidentally a there I think

>2017
>still falling for the IJ meme

no, finishing it feels good. its a good book. hope youre enjoying it OP

It's a meme for a reason

It has actually one of the coolest resolutions in fiction, all thanks to its structure. YOU won't be able to see it on your own, so here it is all spelled out for you: aaronsw.com/weblog/ijend

Don't read until you're done obv.

I didn't start liking infinite jest until reading it the second or third time, after I'd read DFW's other important work and a lot of his biography. Don't expect the ending to feel much like a resolution :)

oops, accidentally i
yea... i know
i'm enjoying it but i'm also ready for it to be done
you are implying i'm some kind of pseud???
but yea i enjoy reading theories and such after reading books so ok i'll bookmark it
this reads like "you have to keep telling yourself you like it until you like it", which doesn't give me much hope

>having to read a book multiple times in order to enjoy it
More like, it was shit the first time but you decide to revisit it and convince yourself you didn't waste your time

>december
>stilling thinking its 2017 in anyway other than technically

It's a bit above a theory, it just kind of confirms the structure of the plot that DFW has said is there.

>being retarded

So I'm up to page like 300. Does it get any better or is it just more rare moments of 'oh that's a bit funny' and 'that was a little bit interesting'?

If youre already gassed just stop now, youll never get through the eschaton chapters

I think you have just saved my life

>you are implying I'm some kind of pseud???
No. The non linearity of the plot makes it hard to piece together the overarching story structure and, how all the characters end up connecting and contributing to the plot. DFW leaves out a lot of key parts to the plot, but they can be inferred once you read the whole book. If you really want to understand it on your own, you would have to make a timeline with major plot events. But that would require going back through the book again. I honestly doubt anyone knew what the majority of the plot was after their first read. Yet, the book is written in such a way it begs an immediate rereading to sort it all out.

Eschaton was honestly the most interesting part of the book. Especially when everything goes to chaos. It's sad and funny to think of that kid's head stuck in a computer monitor

>this is the state of Veeky Forums
>kids are now too fucking impatient and stupid to even finish Infinite Jest, which is just extremely high quality YA fiction
>William Gass is now dead
you killed him

>he's that guy with an unread IJ on his shelf

o i am laffin

>being ableist

I know your insult is specific to OP since he has attempted to read the book. But, what if the book is unread simply because they haven't yet gotten to that book yet? What if it's unread because they have been reading other books?

OP here, status report
Im now entirely through al the big footnotes and on 800 of 981 of the main text
Im finishing this god forsaken meme tome today, come snow or shine

People that read for moral insights are worse than the ones that read for entertainment.

infinite jest surely isnt perfect, and DFW certainly isnt a fantastic author, but IJ definitely has something of value to say. the last bit is the easiest to read. keep at it!

> being alive, you fucking cretins

DO IT

I've read it in six days.

But, boy... What a week that was! 8-10 hours a day, every single day. I probably have Aspergers to some degree, so this probably helps to explain it.

i hate that this guy gets all this credit for "explaining" the ending of IJ. it kind of misses the point imo.

OP here with my final update on progress : I'm finished
"and but so" all i can really say right now immediately after having finished like fresh out of the oven, is... WHAT the FUCK IS WRONG with you fucking PSYCHOPATHS who claim to have read this fucking MISERABLE book more than one single fucking miserable time??????????????
I will never again ever read so much as ONE single FUCKING word of this over-sized paperweight ever again, much less the ENTIRE fucking MISERABLE THING
anyway, i digress
i realize that just because you drank too much alcohol and you vomited doesn't mean alcohol has no redeeming value if you catch my meaning here, so i'm not going to say i hated the book and/or wasted my time quite yet
i'm going to read this now i guess even though i really dont see any real reason to
fuck you Veeky Forums for making me read this miserable meme of a """""literally work""""" (again please take that with a grain of salt i haven't had time to process)

>urine trouble? Urine luck!
Brilliant, just fantastic.

It's just a jest bro

The joke... Er JEST if you will, is that it's put next to Gravity's Rainbow & Ulysses ironically, partially mocking David Faggot Walrus for trying to live up to these two classics while plagiarizing most of his turd of a novel.

Plagiarized.

DeLillo.

All the Ennet House stuff is based on real people, per his biography by DT Max. Even Gately. Guy named Chris C. Big Chris. Right down the elevator closing on his head thing. Never told the guy he was in this book either.

You were Jested!

I've read the book four times

Eschaton was hilarious, hands down my fav sections of the book next to the tennis technique shit. I always felt like DFW captured the intensity of playing a physical sport.

He stole the Eschaton chapter from DeLillo

Im gay for Orin aka Odin aka the god of war

Gonna read this retarded thing just to spite you

Meant for Me dumb read book