Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

I want to collect a few classics. What I'm looking into now is Song of Roland and Beowulf. My question is which copies are the most accurate? Are Penguin Classics usually pretty good or is there another translation I should look for?

Also, I'd like to find a copy of Beowulf in Anglo-Saxon. Where could I find one?

pls help a brother out rq

>collect
>penguin classics
lol

That's my purpose in making this thread, I know jack about companies. What's a better company to buy classics from?

You're asking a loltard for advice?

I'm not native to this board, please just give me advice and let me slink back to /bant/

He'd be better off asking a lmaongoloid

Just collect the books you want. USE GOOGLE. You'll get a better answer asking Google than you probably will asking the shitposters on here.

I'm using google but there are so many translations and authors when it comes to old classics in old languages it's hard to choose decisively. Do I just close my eyes and choose at random?

Be our guest. Stay as long as you have to. We'll make a Veeky Forumserarian out of you an kill your inside pleb.

Help me choose the best Beowulf in Old English and Song of Roland in Old French and I'd be overjoyed to stay and become a Veeky Forumserarian.

lmao have fun with song of roland.
I have the penguin edition, I got through it in a day for some reason cause I couldn't stop despite it being terrible.

Apart from the quality of the physical book, is the PC a fairly good translation? Does it also have the poem in Old French?

Everyman's Library looks the smartest (if that is what you are going for). But you need to remove the dust jacket, no point in keeping it. Every smart and logical person will see it as a burden and throw it away. They are also of better quality than Penguin Classics.

I can only read english but as far as it's readability is concerned it's a decent translation? It does contain selections but the english translation takes about 130 pages whilst the original has only 50 pages.
desu I just buy from what you'd call thrift stores, just every penguin/oxford book I can find for like $1-2, song of roland was one of them.
Don't waste your money on 'collecting' anything that's more than $5 imo

What I'm going for most of all is accurate and fluid translations into modern english while still having the old english or french either on the adjacent page or at the back of the book. Does Everyman's Library include the original versions of old poems or just a modern translation?

Dont get ahead of yourself. Nobody here reads. You need to look like you read and adapt to the lifestyle before you even open a book. Everyman's Library looks the smartest, so go with them. You need to fake it til you make it.

>which copies are the most accurate?

They're both poems.

>Don't waste your money on 'collecting' anything that's more than $5 imo
get a load of this pleb

I was looking into various translations of this same poem recently to see which one I'd buy.
So far the Oxford text has stood out.
What you can do is go to Amazon and try the "look inside" feature. You can compare the first few pages of text and decide which one reads better to you.

Everything else you can borrow at uni library.
I'd rather have that money to fuel my alcoholism desu.

Seamus Heaney's Beowulf has the Old English and his translation side by side.