This is the best book of the 20th century. McElroy here is in free voice...

This is the best book of the 20th century. McElroy here is in free voice, the opening birth scene has 7-8 branches of narrative alone, including dream and a conceptualization of meaning itself. Heidegger developed the view that German and Greek were the only languages capable of discussing Being but McElroy's prose in almost every sentence undoes this view. McElroy for me is always writing about the nature of Being, whether it's animating the fundamentals of our perception and thinking or delving into the more broad and mystical elements of our social relations, particularly the abstract curves and vectors of our familial relations - and like one critic said about McElroy, he brings body to the mind (heart to mind also). Heidegger said that Husserl taught him how to see, and I get that same feeling reading McElroy.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Women-Men-Joseph-McElroy/dp/0979312396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512738775&sr=1-1&keywords=women and men
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they have this book in my library. I read the last page.

I stole it from my uni library.

how'd you get past the sensors?

Barcodes don't make alarms go off, that's how you shoplift from stores too

I think if I walked out of the library with a book it would definitely set the alarm off. I don't understand what you're saying.

It doesn't. Try it.

Post some excerpts

Also, just put it in a bag or something so no one can see it either.

From the first chapter:

She stood, as she'd known she would, in a gown you could see through and held the stem of her glass while a man poured a daiquiri into it and the lime smelled the roots of her mouth which watered. The talk went on, women and men comparing experiences of birth, some in this room probably in the process of losing one another, maybe a woman and a man looking right at each other to see each other. Where? There was a moment of no talk and a woman said, "Sue," and everyone laughed. The pouring ended neatly and the daiquiri at the brim was almost like the first and as she smiled at the man named Marvin or Martin who had filled her glass and who she'd heard from her husband was a free-lance diver who had worked for the police and in oceanography, she heard in the empty moment of silence behind her her husband laugh and say to someone, "Division of labor", and a man laughed.

But at the end when the elbows and hands and bottom and knees came free, slip, blip, grind no bump - and she only much later thought of the gunk draining out then, and nothing seemed to matter except the glistening baby that was younger than last month and was a baby beyond boy or girl, beyond not before, and then without strangeness nothing at all for quite a long moment seemed to matter - or be between them - not even the baby that was O.K., she'd look at her husband behind the young doctor's hands and she found tears on her husband's seedy unshaven cheeks, tears from the wonderful vagueness in his eyes and on his forehead too, as if he had wept upward into his thick, bristly hair. But later she remembered what she could remember, as if she might have receded into her own breathing and part of her was never to be seen again and knew he told the truth when he said it hurt him to see her in pain, and then she recalled those tears upon his forehead and saw that of course they were sweat. And she knew that while he did not look at her while he waited down there between her legs with the doctor, the tears that he could not keep from running out onto his face were not only for his daughter, because they did not - she was sure, she was sure - fill up his eyes and drop onto his skin until suddenly he had looked up past the appearing baby to look her in the eye - us, us - as he had not been able to down there at that end of the delivery table before now.

And so, weeks later, balancing her fresh-brimmed daiquiri against the poor flippancy she'd heard her husband speak behind her, she did not turn to look him angrily in the eye.

reminds me of Recognitions sort of

most library books won't trip the sensors. Sometimes for expensive books in library binding, they will insert a long metal strip down the inside of the binding (between the pages and spine of the book) that sets the alarm off, but you learn to spot them and they're quite removable.
A "booster" bag is a bag lined with multiple layers of aluminum foil or copper (creating a faraday cage) that shields all electromagnetic interference, meaning the security antenna cant detect the tag.
I have unironically gotten the collected works of Bertrand Russell, John Stuart Mill, all of Peter Hacker & G P Baker's commentaries on the Philosophical Investigations, all of the Cambridge editions of the works of Immanuel Kant up to 2015, all of Donald Davidson's collected papers, all of Richard Rorty's collected papers, collected works of Husserl, and everything Michael Dummett ever wrote through this method.
I even bought a large backpack, lined it with four layers of aluminum foil and copper strips, and got Zettel's Traum out of a university library
I'm young enough that I look like a student so I can just walk into university libraries
99% of the time there is no guard and if the gates ever go off I just run
footage won't do anything and they can't even confirm if I stole anything (sometimes the antenna just go off for no reason)
I doubt they even file a police report

Ignore my tripcode I was trolling the tradcon thread earlier

Im so much of a pussy that ill be too scared to ever try. Is there a way to test the cage reliably? I dont know why they just dont let me have them, no one will every read any of the things Im interested in at my school.

Just go steal something small from the convenience store to get over your fear. Nothing happens.

pretty much this , you're practically programmed to be afraid of the spooky mystical powers of security tags

I never even started until I left the library one day after studying with several texts still in my bag that i hadn't checked out and nothing happened
worst comes to worst you loudly exclaim "oops" once the barriers go off and just say you forgot to check them out

Stealing from libraries is really uncool, man. Steal from big chain stores or warehouses if you can't just check them out yourself. At the very least I hope you make and upload scans of what you are taking so others still have the opportunity to enjoy them

No, I don't bother to make scans of what I'm taking.

I specifically meant stealing from university libraries
it is so fucking depressing to see a philosophical masterwork untouched for years and layered with dust

All the more reason to take it.

I think my opinion could go either way depending on the university

booster bag

I have.

congrats

The sensor detected it.

No it didn't, unless it had a thin adhered plastic strip on it. Bar codes don't make the sensors go off.

>No it didn'
Yes it did.

Yeah, so it had one of those strips on it. Take it off first next time dum dum.

There wasn't.

You didn't look close enough, it might have been on the binding.

I have the book in front of me. There is no 'strip'.

Any stickers with slightly raised areas on them?
Barcodes flat out cannot set off alarms.

You do realize that I never claimed that it was the barcode, right? I've never mentioned them. This obsession with bar codes is completely your own and unprompted. It almost reads like your trying to force a meme.

If it wasn't the barcode and it wasn't an electronic tag then what exactly do you think caused it?

That poster wasn't me. You must live in some shit third-world country then, never once have sensors gone off when I took a book from the library without checking it out (nor should they).

Seems like it's getting republished.

amazon.co.uk/Women-Men-Joseph-McElroy/dp/0979312396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512738775&sr=1-1&keywords=women and men

Not sure what's going on with the image though.

zaz

>Customers who viewed this item also viewed
>Bottom's Dream
>check review
Superb!!!
By user 19 July 2017
Format: Hardcover|Verified Purchase
Superb!!

Fucking degenerate, don't steal from libraries

It's even worse for it to be sitting on your shelf collecting dust, where nobody but you has even a chance to read. And I know even you will never read it, user.

If you want it and think you'll read it then take it. It's not like stealing from a department store where the risk sometimes outweighs the rewards.

Did u steal these from Ohio University's Alden Library b/c I just went to try to find a bunch of these and they were stolen I think haha

jesus christ don't steal from libraries.

fucking use abebooks.com

b-but stick it to the man, im living the lit life and if that means im a bit more rebellious than normies I will take that as a compliment

There is a magnetized strip in the binding of all the books in my University’s library

>electrical infetterence

Damn, my uni has a signed copy but you need special permission to see it