Epic poetry

what is your favorite epic poem? are there any epic poems you know that are little or unknown? are there any great epic poems written in modern times

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zFosUj6A22c&list=PL9F5B80E56D446962
youtube.com/watch?v=7putw2A4FiI
sacred-texts.com/asia/mps/mps04.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

truly the Homer of our time
youtube.com/watch?v=zFosUj6A22c&list=PL9F5B80E56D446962

do you like making fun of me

Lithochymicus is probably the most obscure epic poem I've read, if that helps. As far as modern epic poetry goes, you'll find some good stuff in the early part of the last century. There's a poem called "The Last Christian" that I am particularly fond in the 1920s that I haven't seen any mention anywhere.

The Aeneid truly is a masterpiece. Reading it in the original gave me a huge appreciation for the beauty and mastery in Vergil's work.

A question yet: Anyone know of any internet epics , or long narrative poems? I'd be curious if anything like that exists out there

The Mahabharata in its entirety is actually pretty legit.

I want someone to shitpost a racist epic into existence.
"Sing, muse, of the great Aryan race by / which the greatest works were made, and how the/ ignorant niggers killed our wondrous land." or some shit.

Veeky Forums writes meme books, literally no reason why we cant write an epic

youtube.com/watch?v=7putw2A4FiI

I prefer this version.

Absolutely one of the worst national epics.
>Literal rehash of Homer w/ less compelling characters
>deus ex machina constantly
>saturated with obscure references
You sound like one of those pseudo-intellectuals with inflated egos that study Latin for the prestige.

To answer OP's question, my favorite epic poem is without a doubt Faust, but other favorites of mine also include Beowulf, Kalevala, and Divina Comedia.

The absolute worst epic is Völsunga saga.

Asian epics are often little known outside of their respective countries. You might look into The Tale of Hong Gildong or The Tale of Kieu, if you're interested.

Holy shit guy, this is the most generic post of all time. I've never seen someone know less about epics, but try to speak with authority. Please never come back.

Also OP, read The Knight in the Panther's Skin for fun and good imagery

Not that dude, but I have a personal vendetta against Virgil solely on the fact that he somehow overshadows Ovid.

The Dryden translation is good because he takes liberties with the language, better than Pope, who himself admitted as much

>you sound like one of those pseudo-intellectuals with inflated egos
>divina comedia

extremeironing.mpeg

>There's a poem called "The Last Christian" that I am particularly fond in the 1920s that I haven't seen any mention anywhere.
Please detail. I can't seem to find anything.

Divine Comedy
Nibelunglied
Jerusalem Delivered
Parzival

yes

Try The Last Christian By A Successor Of Man, I think there's a online version on like google books

tell us a little more about that is that worth reading in english the only versions i can find are in the original Georgian

i like hyperion

The Knight in the Panther's Skin is as far as I know Shota Rustaveli's only work. He goes nuts with the metre and rhyme scheme, but it doesn't translate well into English well due to the nature of the Georgian language and the way it handles stresses and accents. I've read two versions, both, I think, where nonrhythmic dactylic hexameter, which is a decent enough equivalent. There's an English translation from the (I think) 1910s and one from the 1980s out there, and the differences between are pretty much what you would expect. The early translation leans a lot more towards the "purple" side of things and can be a little complicated, and the later version is generally easier to read. Narrative-wise, I didn't hardly notice a difference between the two, but Rustaveli tends to repeat a lot of his imagery, and the early translation does a decent job at avoiding regurgitation by keeping things varied.

Here's the earlier translation online: sacred-texts.com/asia/mps/mps04.htm

why is it on sacred texts. also thank you for such a well put answer

From what I can gather, people in the Caucuses and to a lesser extent in the Balkans regard it as a religious work. It's weird, because, while the two main characters are good Christians, Christianity is hardly mentioned throughout the whole thing. But it does make fun of Islam a little bit, which is fun.

why is that, user

is it a religious book like the bible to them or like the divine comedy. is it a book about religion or a foundational religious text

Like the Divine Comedy. The Caucuses have been Christian since the Roman Empire. But, again, don't expect heavy religiousity out of it. Its a story about love, brotherly, romantic, nationalistic, and paternal

i can see the religious element in a song in favor of all kinds of love that doesn't talk about the mystical elements of it. i will read it

Anyone read these? They sound cool

i have heard great things but have never read it. i think he counts as being from the mysterious black mountain school which remains little known

anybody read omeros. what did you guys think

are parzival and nibelunglied any good they seem on the surface like generic knights tales

Parzival is good in a literary sense
Nibelunglied is really good and fun if you're just looking for an adventurous tale about high Europe and knights

Not poetic at all, but I love the user Works in IT series of greentexts. Legitimately funny, relatable, and heartfelt content.

>rehash
t. someone who doesn't understand intertextuality