Recent purchase stack

MAGA edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

thehowlingfantods.com/dfw/the-first-draft-version-of-infinite-jest.html
warosu.org/lit/thread/S9598647
dalkeyarchive.com/product/bottoms-dream/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How about reading them instead of posting pictures of them and jacking yourself off

No gorilla mindset? Pleb!

how about not posting in threads you have no interest in. fuck off faggot

>man without qualities
noice
>herzog
noice
>daniel deronda
very noice
>flush
noice
>faulkner
noice
>tropic of cancer
noice
>abhosk
meh
>monkey's wrench
very noice
>dead souls
based
>thin red line
noice
>slow learner
FUCKYEAH SON

what's so maga about this?

at my local bookstore you can get a punchcard which you can redeem after 8, 8 dollar book purchases

well i got bradbury's "something wicked" and a book on the life and history of Babylon.

Ray's book was 3 bucks, and babylon was 4 bucks. So I was one dollar short on a punch and I just told the guy to add another dollar on because I had already spent 30-40mins looking at books, considering getting one book at 8 dollars or 2 books for a stamp. I've already got so many books on my backlog I'm just going to these stores to get out the of house and not spend much. Anyway, I felt very autistic, like I care so much about a fucking punch card

shit like this is why im alone

>miller
>maga
How is Chad Miller associated with maga

Triggered motherfucker

All of you faggots buy the same second hand books. If anyone come in to your room and saw the shit you collect they would be repelled

feel like ive seen this jpg 100 times

I like you

What's your point here?

His point is that if you don't have Eco's library you may as well have an e-reader and drink soylent

>thinks Slow Learner is FUCKINGAWESOMEDUDE

It's literally Pynchon's worst. This is the one you skip.

Inherent Vice sucked a mean dick as well

Lol go easy on the guy faggot. All I need is V, crying and rainbow to finish my pinecone first edition collection.

my latest purchase. I’m going to cop The Master and Margarita this week too because I want to read it before Anne Karenina

Image makes me feel like you're a female.

Majority new, fuck you

Wtf is up with all the letters you stupid faggot..

>ywn stroll around in Coventry with femland after doing egregious amounts of amphetamines while listening to super eurobeat
fug

Pynchon's worst is better than 99% of literature
IV is one of his best books

jesus it must be the christmas holidays for grade school already

They are all letters, I have 60 more that I’ve posted here before, these are just the most recent. A person’s soul is a complex geometric figure. Someone’s literature etches parts of the author’s soul, but letters give a number of different angles, colors, and shadings. If Jung was correct, you can’t learn as much from an artist’s mass produced work, because the ‘idea’ that is this work is sullied by the conscious thought of millions of near-apes. However, letters and other less printed work offer us particular ideas that are unique to the souls of these writers, and if one were to get an accurate enough sketch of an author’s soul, by reading less-read ideas, other pieces of the author’s understanding will, although they are not addressed in text, will inform your conception of the author’s soul, his perspective (because like attracts like in this metaphysical context), effectively allowing you to let the author live through you, or let you see through the author’s eyes (in a sense that is more real than the literal meaning of this expression). But Jung was probably wrong, so fuck it. But you asked, faggot.

>o-o-one of his best
GR, M+D, AtD and V are all better than IV.
I'd probably put 49 and BE ahead of it as well.

looks like you've been PLEBFILTERED you fucking brainlet

learn to fucking read

This is now a DFW stack thread.

>Arno Schmidt

Why is lit obsessed with this guy?

>pleb only has one edition of IJ
L M A O
since you love DFW check these out
thehowlingfantods.com/dfw/the-first-draft-version-of-infinite-jest.html
warosu.org/lit/thread/S9598647 (the legendary Wallace autist thread)

he's an obscure figurehead of late modernism. People compare him to the later joyce and beckett but he's a sui generis weirdo. most of his writings were in german (and funnily enough he isn't well known in germany) but many of his works were translated by John E Woods (world renowned figure who also did the english versions of Thomas Mann and others). Here's an example of his later work. He uses punctuation in really strange ways and often breaks down compound words into rhyming phallic subwords (one of freud's earlier ideas was breaking down the words people use into similar sounding sexual terms)
extremely sardonic and cynical, beyond even Gaddis, but also deeply and weirdly sci-fi and fantasy in some of his works

Know if anywhere to get Zettel's Traum for under $100? It's so expensive on amazon.

>MAGA
>Garbage book by a gay Jamaican nigger who memed his way to the Booker
>Pick one

Rate but don't bully

>Pynchon's worst is better than 99% of literature

It's literally fucking not. It's underwhelming and a mark of failure in his career. You've never read it. So quit trying to speculate how it is. It's shit. Also IV was his potboiler. Not bad, but nowhere near his best. It's fun and surprisingly poignant, but that's it.

I’m thinking about giving his work a try. Is any of his stuff good?
ZT is hella expensive and long, so I wouldn’t want to start with that.

yep I wouldn't recommend you start with ZT either
I'd get any of those other 4 small volumes from (depending on your personal preferences). Another of his famous works that is shorter and not pictured is "School for Atheists" which is a weird novel written as a play. Collected Novellas/Collected Stories contain some of his earlier work AND his later work that will ease you into his more difficult material (which is more contained in Nobodaddy's Children/ Two Novels)
Bottom's Dream has a very small printing (ZT is the german version, Zettel's Traum) given the unique massive dimensions of the book, I believe it may be a limited printing that will only get more expensive over time

>Ellul
sure those are bretti gud
>some shitty anthology series
eh
>some boring history texts
meh
>graham something something that looks like pop sci
meh
>trotsky's history of the revolution
thats pretty good. There's a great biography of Trotsky titled "The Prophet"
>Atlas Shrugged
desu it reads a lot like trashy fiction. The politics are heavy handed, all the poor people are ugly and all the rich people are rugged and handsome and held down by incompetent fools but it reads like a guilty pleasure
>principles of naval weapon systems
oh cool you're on a list now
>DELL
FUCKING PLEB GET OUT REEEEEEEE

>I've never read it
yes I have
>underwhelming and a mark of failure
no
>its shit
no
>IV was a potboiler
no

wow you should really try harder to understand literature beyond your grasp

Finally done with classes. Wanted to kick off the break with something new. Stoner is really good so far. Glad I didn’t get memed on.

>not reading August and The Unconsoled
wew

This is my first Ishiguro. Should that be next if I like this?

>yes I have
no
>no
yes
>no
yes
>no
yes

a-am I doing this right?

>Catalog
Where's you get that copy of Bottom's Dream? How much did you pay?

School of atheists sounds good.
Might give it a try if I can get my hands on a german copy.

I quite enjoyed von Balthasar's book on Maximus the Confessor. How's the Origen?

Read Tolstoy's Confessions instead. You're in for a disheartening surprise

Alright, help me out famalams. I haven't read any fiction in ages, and I can't for the life of me decide which to pick up

Some classics as well, but I'm more interested in recommendations from the first picture

oooh very nice how's the translated Rabelais

>Gormenghast
First two are great, third is fucking weird.
If I were told that Mervyn had been introduced to LSD during its writing I wouldn't be shocked

I’ve gotten about a third of the way through his study of Gregory of Nyssa’s philosophy (read Life of Moses earlier this year after hearing David Bentley Hart recommend it) but I think it’s a little over my head at this point. I’ve been going over some of Maximus’ work in the philokalia, it’s given me something to think about. One of my favorites:
>If there are some men you hate and some you neither love nor hate and others you love strongly and others again you love but moderately, recognize from this inequality that you are far from perfect love for perfect love presupposes that you love all men equally
Very intense stuff.

As for Origen, awhile back after some meditation and prayer, asking for some guidance etc. I had a dream and near the end of it I was in a book shop and (from what I remember) I picked one black book off the shelf and it said Origen on the spine. Idk if it means anything too be honest.

Didn’t get around to reading him for a while, but another thing that really got me interested in him was a chapter about his views on sexuality in a certain book called The Body and Society by Peter Brown. Reading him now, he seems extremely advanced for his time, based off my limited knowledge of the church fathers, and I feel like his hermeneutic approach to the bible, especially the old testament is the best way pf making sense of it. Still haven’t gotten very far in Balthasar’s anthology or De Lubac’s study of him yet but I really like him so far.

This is a rambling mess. Anyway that Rabelais volume looks sweet, I’ve been wanting to read him every since I read M A Screech’s translation of Montaigne’s Essays and found out he did a translation of Gargantua and Pantagruel as well.

It's recent cops you rebards

Origen is an interesting character – like many Church Fathers, he was greatly inspired by Hellenistic philosophy, Platonism in particular. He had the same teacher as Plotinus, Ammonius Saccas, but also studied with Clement of Alexandria, who considered the Platonic corpus as a preperation for the gospels. The Cappadocians - I think it was Gregory Nyssa in particular - considered him as their foundation.

There's a great book by Norman Russell, The Doctrine of Deification in the Greek Patristic Tradition, which speaks about his role more in depth in the tradition of Theosis. Good stuff.

It's quite the scholary tome, but nothing too overwhelming. Much of the French is bracketed with alternate meanings given in English, and there's several helpful notes in the back. I wanted something reliable, after having browsed through Rabelaisian Dialectic and the Platonic-Hermetic Tradition by George Masters. His thesis is that Rabelais essentially fused the soteriological transcendentalism of Platonism with the worldly enjoyment of Epicureanism.

Weird is good, no?

>de Lubac
>von Balthasar

Take care with this heretics.

Balthasar’s anthology of his work is actually mainly his commentaries on scripture, his influence on Gregory’s exegetical method becomes more apparent the more I read him. From what I know they also had similar views of apocatastasis and the soul’s journey back/toward/into God. That Russell book sounds interesting, deification is one of the most important concepts in the christian tradition and for me helps put a lot of things into perspective so I’ll have to check that out.

I’ve heard De Lubac had some problems with church authorities but that was also pre-vatican II and he was fully restored to the church as far as I know. I’ve never heard anyone say Hand Urs is a heretic.

yeah, Remains of the Day and The Unconsoled are probably his only decent works desu, the rest are ok

from the dalkey archive site, it was 50$ canadian when I picked it up about a week after it came out

It's not an anthology, it's just an overview of Western philosophy

Graham is book on investing

maybe

you're redpilled if you read books by people with pale colored dicks now

Because he's a great writer you fag

Im reading Atlas Shrugged right now. It has some good life lessons luring under the water, and is well written. Good choice to buy it.

>he isn't well known in Germany

wtf are you on about

he wasn't in his lifetime, but his work is very popular now

just a few weeks ago there was nobodaddys kinder on Bayern 2 as hörspiel

3/10

Comfy reads. Is this your first foray into Camus?
fellow 日本人?

Only read vol 2 of the man w/o qualities senpai if you LOVED vol 1 my man.

Dead Souls ALSO has an unfinished second volume with sub par quality. Read that one anyway.

Indeed. Recently picked up a copy of The Outsider too but I've lent that off to someone for the time being.
I'm not Japanese, no. Picked up the translation as a means of improving literacy by referencing it back to my translated copy. I'm planning on picking up more JP translations of books I have in an attempt to not glue my face to a dictionary when attempting to read anything, lol.

I loved it
Better than BE and Viceland

Congratulations for bookmarking your reads, looks like everyone here reads books like children read comics

>checked
Nice of you to lend your books, people tend to keep them in my experience. I also recommend checking out The Rebel if you have time (should be translated into Japanese too), shows a different side of Camus.

It's a good system, good luck. Have you tried reading Murakami or some light novels? They're pretty easy to tackle for intermediate speakers.

That's Dick Macksey's library

I'm interested in reading Jintai but I'm honestly pretty clueless when it comes to light novels. Murakami's works have always intrigued me, however. I will definitely check him out.

I was staring at a copy of The Rebel today actually! Didn't have enough money to buy it though, sadly. I'll go back there another day and buy it though, for sure.

Right now, there are 8 new copies left on amazon.co.uk for the cover price (£52, or about $70). No idea how shipping would work out. (There were 9, but i just snagged one).

Also from the source $56:
dalkeyarchive.com/product/bottoms-dream/

Jintai is cute! Light novels are short and not heavy in substance, as long as you're prepared for that, it's not too bad. In terms of difficulty, that depends on the subject- but Jintai doesn't seem too hard. It's a good way to build on vocab. For Murakami, there should be some pdfs of his short stories in case you want to try it out before you pick up a book.

Side note.. if you're located in the states or can receive mail there, I'll seriously mail you my copy of The Rebel for free. I'm visiting over the holidays and can't bring it back with me.

$12 thrift

pls Murakami Ryu instead

>Read confession instead
you mean instead of Anne Karenina or instead of The Master and Margarita

That's really kind of you. I live in the UK however, so shipping+postage might tally up quite a bit..

Stoner was amazing.

Reading this upside down
>Morals and ecchi homos

his work isn't well known in germany. nobody listens to fucking bayern 2 lmao

Kek, sorry about that... It was correctly oriented when I went to post, rip

Even though he isn't best-known for his short stories, Faulkner is currently my favorite short story writer.

Make a thread about Hard Rain Falling when you’ve read it. It has some meme potential.

I will.

just got this in the mail

Technological Society is great, I need to read more Ellul

>All those German, French, Italian and Spanish works in translation

It's not that hard to learn those languages faggots

>what are priorities
Up yours, 'mo.

>I'm a polyglot therefore everyone else must be like me and a polyglot
Are these the rational logic skills of a reader of philosophy?

He's the ultimate I'm a pseudo-intellectual signalling author. So obscure only intellect posturing individuals "get" him.

>Buying books when e-readers exist.

Not a single good writer on there.

Eliot may be the exception (as a poet).

Lol kys