Rips off Dune and LoTR = "he completely raised the bar for the genre"

He literally just took Dune and put it in middle earth, its not like he did anything original

>"he completely raised the bar for the genre"
Nobody ever said that

Dune but took away the spiritual aspect which is a huge part of the book, just the surface level BS.

Rhollor and the prophecy of the war for the dawn is pretty spiritual, like there is an active god who brings people back to life

>he took dune and put it in middle earth
what about asoiaf is even so similar to dune

not Veeky Forums

they both suck

got eem

not really, I like asoiaf but don't think I would call it literature

its a book

I'm only on A Storm of Swords, but how is there a "chosen one" in ASOIAF? Martin's a gigantic fedora tipper and his message is that the characters are all just a bunch of assholes looking out for themselves, which *tips fedora* is how royalty in the middle ages actually worked.

Now, Martin isn't as creative of a fantasy author as someone like China Meiville, and he's not the first person to do dark political fantasy, but he's doing the opposite of what Tolkien and Herbert were doing.

"The Prince that was promised" is mentioned when Danerys goes to the house of the undying.

No one has any idea who the prince is but there are some theories about who it is Dany, Stannis, Jon, Young Griff but the prohpechy basically says the prince ended the 1st long night 8000, years ago and is going to end the next one when the long night returns

Nothing about that is spiritual, is just a façade to cover up warcraft tier magic

are you suggesting that the whole religion is a cover-up for for some kind of warcraft the Rhllor followers can use? I haven't heard of that idea before certainly seems like something Martin would write as all the followers don't believe in an afterlife anyway.

frostmourne hungers

GRIFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITH

There's a prophecy, but it doesn't mean it's true.

but he writes about women taking big sloppy shits

he literally brought fantasy to adults

People make the difference between lit and Lit.

but LotR and Dune don't have tax policies, OP.

Neither does ASoIaF. Saying the word tax doesn't make a tax policy, and mentioning money doesn't make an economy. I've seen someone do a break down of the values of the coins used in the novels. The economy makes zero sense. Which is why I hate the tax quote, it only shows him to be a hypocrite in addition to a terrible writer.

>I've seen someone do a break down of the values of the coins used in the novels
i was just memeing before, but can I get a link to this?

Nice

HE's most likely referring to the rewards won by tourneys

Being realistic or cynical means you're a neckbeard loser now?

Now and forever
If you want realistic go outside you fucking nerd

yeah but nothing's original once you know your sources. like there are obvious parallels between every story and i think once you learn enough everything starts to blur together into being the same couple of ideas or core books or stories or whatever with variations

you're getting older op. you're running out of totally new experiences. most people who read george's stuff don't read _period_ so of course it's all new and exciting to them

also just like... in general if your reaction to seeing someone succeed is anything except 'i want to understand why' then you're shooting yourself in the foot. huge manbaby move. unless you want to whine about your unoriginal towering metaphor obscurantist fuckfest i guess. waaa why wont' the free market give me MY cummies

Journalists are brainlets