My 16 year old little sister wants a bunch of "Milk and Honey" tier garbage poetry for Christmas

My 16 year old little sister wants a bunch of "Milk and Honey" tier garbage poetry for Christmas.
(Milk and Honey isn't actually on the list anymore because she came to own it already, but that doesn't exactly help)

Does anyone have suggestions for poetry that's a slight step up from that?
Something that's not too challenging, but also not total unredeemable horseshit?

I'm going to gift her the instagram trash poem books too to make her happy, but I should at least try to make her less of a total pleb, right?

Give her Byron, he was a mega Chad so she'll love it

Yeah, be a good brother and get it for her;
I'm not sure what a slight step up from Rupee Core would be.

I'd suggest Robert Frost and a small collection of John Keats. If you're concerned with the level of challenging-ness, you ought to go with Frost then. He gud

Again, you're a good brother :-)
if you're a woman, then you're a good sister :-)

The Rose That Grew From Concrete

Bo Burnham has a book of poetry that's like a bitter Shel Silverstein.

Sir Phillip Sidney has maybe the most accessible love sonnets around.

everyone loves ee cummings (or they should at least)

Don't try to force her to read the dull shit you read, but sneak an actual good writer into the mix. If it's meant to be, she'll drift in the other direction.

lol I did the same thing. got my 19 year old sister the cringey trash poetry that she asked for but also Bukowski. Not a huge fan of Bukowski myself, but seems like the type of poet who would appeal to people just getting into poetry. i know it was a wasted effort though because she didn't read either one to completion. my sister always requests poetry and i know she only reads a handful of the poems and then lets the book sit on her shelf

first, you don't have to read a collection like a novel

second, Bukowski might actually be worse than Rupi

>bukowski
next time try gifting her a book by a good author

Also give her a biography on Byron. She'll probably flick her bean every night to the accounts of his sexual exploits.

I enjoy Bukowski's novels. Some of my favorite in the fictional biography genre.

Thank you for the suggestions!
I will definitely look into those

Not sure how much Byron's chad mentality will appeal to her
Is Byron poetry lewd?

Thank you user, I try and do my best

That's how I was planning on handling it, hence why she's still getting her shit books too

Yeah I guess I can't physically prevent her from reading Rupi or browsing pinterest, but I think we at least ought to try
So far I'm planning to look for short volumes, nothing too daunting and whatnot
I haven't read any Bukowski yet myself and with how mixed people are on him I think it might be smart to get a look at him myself first before gifting him away

Good luck!

Richard Siken and Ocean Vuong
More stimulating than Kaur, but definitely something a 16 year old would enjoy.

Get her a self-published collection of Veeky Forums's fake Rupi poetry. She won't be able to tell the difference.

You're a good sibling user. My runner-up choice: The Black Riders and Other Lines by Stephen Crane. First pick: Deaths and Entrances, by Dylan Thomas. Here's a sample poemme:

In my craft or sullen art
Exercised in the still night
When only the moon rages
And the lovers lie abed
With all their griefs in their arms,
I labour by singing light
Not for ambition or bread
Or the strut and trade of charms
On the ivory stages
But for the common wages
Of their most secret heart.

Not for the proud man apart
From the raging moon I write
On these spindrift pages
Nor for the towering dead
With their nightingales and psalms
But for the lovers, their arms
Round the griefs of the ages,
Who pay no praise or wages
Nor heed my craft or art.

american teen girls seem to love rumi

>her poetry like totally embodies my mindset like all her poems are like omg me too #metoo #rupigroupie

it's easily understandable, with little to no complex structure, and applies to nearly everyone in some shape or form. It's also #aesthetic.

Get her modern poetry (Siken, Glück). I guarantee at her age she'll have virtually no interest in the analytical. Meter means nothing to high schoolers.

(Carson's translations of Sappho in If Not, Winter; Whitman's Leaves of Grass; & Neruda's anthologies might be good segues into more classical form)

rumi not rupi fucking plebs i swear

To quote an Irishman: "Get that bitch some Rilke"

Wait people actually read poetry? LMAO I bet you read philosophy too!

Good post

Just because I didn't correct them you assume I don't know Rupi's name? Jinkies.