What's Veeky Forums currently reading also what's your thoughts in this? Huge fan if the film

What's Veeky Forums currently reading also what's your thoughts in this? Huge fan if the film.

On*

>your thoughts in this
>chapter one: rich assholes doing rich asshole things
>chapter two: violent murder
repeat

Halfway through the book if you haven't managed to assess this as satire, Ellis beats it over your head by devoting an entire chapter to the musical genius of Phil fucking Collins. His tongue nearly pierces his own cheek in the process.

Then it returns to the same as before, with various characters from similar novels by other 80s flacks in cameo roles.

You're welcome.

gay post

American Psycho is hilarious, and disturbing. I really enjoyed it.

I came for the satirical dark comedy. I'm aware of dumb it is. I just don't understand why it's considered American literature.

It isn't, and none of the authors from that generation have or will produce literature, merely yawps about the perceived troubles of wealthy young people in 1980s manhattan

I was also a fan of the film, page 199 now. Gotta say, the writing has made me feel good about myself in the sense that I get so bored with reading page long paragraphs about designer brands and people talking about them that I skip sections entirely. I'd kill people too if my life surmounted to that

Reading pic related, its pretty good so far desu

i wonder if being an ironic leftist faggot makes you completely incapable of using literature to make real evaluations about culture? it seems like that's the case, I only ever encounter liberals and leftists who don't read between the lines when they consume media. Its probably autism from identifying with symbols and language instead of the body

The banality of the writing in American Psycho is clearly intentional. Within this book, I don't think that is something you should point at and feel better about yourself because you wouldn't ever produce something so boring.

Dune Messiah

Not as good as the first, but a lot of fun with it's super focused narrative/symbolism. I feel like the meat of the book lies between the lines and I'm missing all of it.

I think it's one of the best books written about the decadent 80's and how people without stable identities struggle in their adult lives

The exaggerated murder scenes are not supposed to be taken seriously. The fact that he takes Phil Collins more seriously than other people is a personality flaw

Second Foundation.

The last book in the original Foundation trilogy. I've enjoyed all three books so far. The first is much better than the other two though.

>Not as good as the first
fool! Messiah undermines Dune is such a brilliant and pessimistic way, it is undoubtedly better.

Shake Hands with the Devil. It is actually chilling

This is kinda ironic considering BEE is a closet moralist and probably more conservative than people realize

It's pretty funny but the over the top edginess can get a little grating. Bateman's obsession with appearance is something that you may find worth exploring. Pretty good if you're 16 and want to Get Into reading desu.

A Prayer For Owen Meanie is the plan.

The hardest fits of uncontrollable laughter I've ever had were while reading this book. Everything he does is so autistic but self-serious, and the way he describes everything else with exaggerated disgust except trivial shit like bottled water or his clothes. I don't really like BEE's other books but he nailed a monotonous and dry tone with this one that works perfectly.
There was one scene where his date offered to pay for their lunch, and he described how he would break into convulsions if he had to keep looking at her. I laughed so hard at that and the scene where he inexplicably starts referring to himself in the third person that I actually vomited.

this book is all about being hit over the head with mundane, banal shit that disarms you, makes you feel like you know what's on the next page, but then it hits you with "I started shoveling sand into my mouth and howling at the moon/I pretended to be a doctor so no one would save the child/I put a rat in her vagina and preserved her friends head in my freezer for a month." It is so effective, and often hilarious.

The film would have been better if it had cast the actor used on the cover of the book and it had been made in 1974 with an early 70's aesthetic than if it were made in 2000 with a wannabe 80's aesthetic. No one here is going to understand what I mean, but I'm right and BEE is a hack who didn't even understand what he was trying to write.
>inb4 the book is set in the 80's
I know exactly what I fucking said, retard.

What scene stuck in your head?
My is the homeless.

I've never read American Psycho, but I'm trying to find a line about conjoined twins on the Patty Winters show if anyone remembers it being in the book. Someone posted it awhile ago and I couldn't tell if it was made up or an excerpt.

Just finished To Kill A Micking Bird. I'm not American so it was never part of my curriculum.

Let's just say I cannot believe that this is considered a modern classic. It's not well written, the characters are flat and one dimensional (and mostly unbelievable), it's poorly structured and paced, and there is absolutely no subtlety. The white people are mostly dumb, evil, aggressive, alcoholic, inbred, and incestuous. And they also have red necks. This is literally described. However the Negroes are all noble people, wise, hygienic, gentle and serene.

Then you have the 6 year old narrator, who sounds pretty much like a 45 year old single woman, her white knight father who's not even one dimensional, he's zero dimensional, and le deus ex machina, Boo Redditley. It's just all god-awful.

I'm just stumped that people love the book. Maybe they just saw the movie (which was pretty good) and pretend to have read it. Or that they're giving the concept of the book five stars, you know, black and white people should be treated equally. Because on its own, the book's barely average.

>Mocking
God damn, I should proof-read my posts.

>The white people are mostly dumb, evil, aggressive, alcoholic, inbred, and incestuous
this was the south around the time the book is set. I don't think people love this book for its prose, it is beloved probably for its plot and moral above anything.

But that's precisely the thing. The whole book makes you look forward to the next murder scene even more each time because what is in between these scenes, his life, is so fucking inane and pointless.
(I mean, it's still boring, but it's got a reason for it).

That was the entire point. Originally, to Kill a Mockingbird was just a short bit in a novel ultimately centering on a young girl seeing everything in an incredibly simplistic way; when she returns home a number of years later she is faced with the fact that reality is far more complex and the simple caricatures that her younger self created to understand the world are inadequate; her beliefs about many things (from the relationship between the Blacks and the Whites of her home town to her conceptions of justice to what kind of man her father is) are challenged.

Then the publisher said Harper Lee should expand on the youth part, make it into its own book, and then publish the second half later. The second half would then be lost and would only return a number of years later.

The right get for the right post.