/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy and Horror and Westerns General

Over the top edition.
>what sff novel/short/WN are you reading?
>how un-grounded is it
>what is the most ridiculously OP plot element you've read about
>did it add or detract from the experience, and why

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/KxPGpmU
vimeo.com/246726143
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for sandarson a hack

Guess I'll have to repost since the other thread was already dead:

Anyone familiar with Corruption of Champions? Can you recommend a fantasy novel with that level of degeneracy? Or at least something that comes somewhat close? I just want something really perverted in a fantasy setting but most romance novels are vanilla as hell plus they never get gay.

He's not even anime, there is zero moe in Sanderson aside from Dalinar

Sorry memeanon, I failed you.
I failed us all.

Currently reading pic related. Most OP element in the book is the characters' inability to see the irony in being emotional about being rational. The book is a bit too boring for it to detract from anything though. Whatever, Voyage of the Space Beagle is next and I'm excited as fuck.

Coeurl is pretty OP, look forward to it.

Seventh for webnovels are novels too

>Alfie is still on hiatus

WUZ

Gonna stay like that for half a year, incase said he was burned out. At least we'll see some other stuff from him.

Know any pervy books btw? Everything is so fucking vanilla

>every body likes big chests

Outlandish is that the author tacked some weird gay marriage schtick onto it that goes nowhere mid story.
Op is an ability called corpse absorber and paradite that erase a lot of dramatic tension.

Otherwise it's pretty interesting but I'm gonna wait for it to finish before reading it again.

i'm not really into smutty stuff
Nevernight Chronicles has some explicit sex scenes i guess

The Steel Remains.

Never read it, but I've heard that there are a number of similarities between it and Anthem, which I actually enjoyed.

I dunno, Rand is kinda a meme, but whatever.

> No more Prince of Rape
> No more God Emperor of Men
> Only keikaku niggers in the next book

Why even bother at this point?

Been slowly working my way through the Dune novels, wasn't really sure I was that into it.

But I've reached God Emperor of Dune and I'm really liking it so far. It's what I've been wanting out of the series the whole time, and I could tell it was there but it just wasn't coming through right.

The slower pace actually allows it to explore things in depth, previous books were so fast paced and were struggling to just fit all the plot points in.

So when are we doing an anthology, gents?

Is witcher series any good? Was going to read them before playing the game, so it wouldn't spoil anything to me.

Game plot is seperate from the plot in the books, you can read the books first if you want.

Really I'd recommend reading The Last Wish, then Sword of Destiny, BEFORE playing Witcher 3, they set up a lot of the backstory in that game, and there are a few fun references.

They are ok pop fantasy, nothing amazing.

The Baroque Cycle got pretty anime when Stephenson hit his stride and started leaving Waterhouse behind more and more.
>Half-cocked Jack traveling around the world with his nakama
>Foul-mouthed aristocrat with a heart of gold
>Japanese Jesuit who blesses enemies while he strikes them with his katana
>gentle glasses-wearing Huguenot locksmith, the dad of the group
>tomahawk-throwing Jew
>Enoch Root joins him too because he was the most anime character in Cryptonomicon

The first book is kind of good being a bunch of short stories. The rest are shit.

If you want backstory for the games you should do the second one too.

the last wish is pretty good

Y'all ever read a book that doesn't explain none of the thousand terms it uses and then it hinges most of the action and plot on those terms?
I'm trying to read Prince of Nothing, the first book that is, and all of these fucking terms mean nothing to me. It keeps talking about No-God and chorae and the Tusk and all this fucking bullshit that has no meaning to me.
Am I retarded?
Will the book explain shit or will I keep knowing nothing of the world it's set in?

>Dying Thread: Tales from a vietnamese erotica forum
Two questions, who would edit it and who would take all that sweet Amazon self publishing money?

Edited by votes and volunteers. Free on Smashwords so nobody gets money off anyone else.

this.
whenever you start it.

Gonna write a gimmicky as fuck book called Streets of Steel that's basically Bernard Cornwell's take on "fantasy" via his Warlord Chronicles. But the catch is the setting will be a modern city and the story will be about a war between rival street gangs who don't use guns, but use swords, spears, axes, shields, etc. And the "magic" in the book will be of the possibly coincidental variety like Warlord Chronicles.

Is Malazan considered patrician around here? I tried it after and I'm amazed at the quality of the writing, or maybe I've just been reading lowbrow shit too long. Its not perfect but it's an order of magnitude better than what I've been used to recently.
Thanks for the rec, user.

>the ikea and horror fag from /a/ made the general

Someone post the degenerate chart.

Cool. Let's have categories for flash, short, and novella, rules are it can't be boring, we can organize it on the /Sffg/ discord discord.gg/KxPGpmU or somewhere else if that's more convenient, user/pseudonymous submissions only.

Let's say Valentine's Day for the submissions cutoff, then a month for edits and rewrites and a March 14th release date. I've already got the bones of a story planned for it, hope I can meet everyone's exacting standards.

What's so bad about it?

>wordart upset someone else wants to make OC

Look here faggot

Naw. It's how he is slowly turning us into a writer's general, and the hungry artists that visit us stays when they think they can post their shit here.
Look at the op. That one guy was trying to turn sffg into a horror general, even though he could discuss it, he wanted the OP to reflect it. He got his way, we literal anime now.

The author specifically said he made it degenerate and graphic as fuck just to be edgy and literally no other reason.

>anthologyfag specifically requests we organize it somewhere else
>trying to turn it into a writer's general
I know English is hard but could you please spend a few more hours a week on Duolingo? It'll help all of us.

Sorta, it's pretty much all these threads talk about.

>gene wolf
>mala
>safe hands doing unsafe things
>asp authors doing asp author things

Guys, are any of you even remotely excited for?

Please fuck off.

Not really, sjw shit aside I'm tired of reboots in general.

>shitty kids channels always pull star wars references by saying "galactic onslaught 15" or such
>Disney will turn that into a reality by making a new SW film every year
Hooray

>I consider Echopraxia to be better because some of the consciousness stuff in Blindsight is nonsensical, i.e sentences that use unclearly defined terms and so are practically meaningless. I don't think that's down to Siri being crazy either, Watts just messed up, probably didn't have some stuff fully internalized, and it slipped by in the edit. It's a minor thing, and completely excusable considering how much the book gets right, and I haven't caught any such nonsense in Echopraxia at all.

I think BS did get a little ragged upon editing, but then a lot of people say its a lot easier to digest than Echo so perhaps it's for the best.
I literally just finished my fifth (?) re-read of Echo and only now am I really seeing everything the way I should.
Whichever user described Watts prose as "badly describing a movie" in the last thread had struck gold I think, while I'm sure I've got Stockholm syndrome and kind of enjoy his wonky wording, a lot of it is very difficult to read

Is there any fantasy book written like an autobiography, or a journal? Where the MC Journey is over now and now he or she is just recalling his/her adventures?

Only his purely visual descriptions can be problematic, and a lot of times there's stuff hidden in them.

I wish someone would make a movie/anime but I know they'd fuck it up badly.

It's 2000+17. This trilogy should have had Thrawn in it or an actually likeable character like a Char clone with more Imperialwank and less black on white morality.

>I wish someone would make a movie/anime but I know they'd fuck it up badly.

Oh, I don't think they could fuck it up that badly...
vimeo.com/246726143

A movie wouldn't hold up in my opnion,
but a really beautiful anime would work wonders

Wizard Knight kinda. The story is told through letters the protag writes to his brother.

>implying overlook will publish the next book
>implying Akka won’t become Seswatha

What's this book niBBa?

Not at all excited. After being disappointed so sorely by the prequals I'm not spending another dollar on anything Star Wars.

The second apocalypse series

Starts with The Darkness that Comes Before.

Don't mind me, just rolling. Even for fantasy, odd for science fiction.

I am retarded.
I am reading that book at this moment and didn't make the connection of that with the book.
Say this series is standalone right?

If you started with Darkness yes.

There’s a second trilogy that continues it.

Is worm actually good? I've seen it recommended before

If you like angsty teenage girl protags

What is Worm?And why does it take up 2 thirds of the spacebattles creative writings forum?

I sorta do, how angsty?

Is it fantasy?

Superhero sci-fi with big bad monsters

Angsty enough that the first chapter is her getting bullied in the toilet by the mean pretty girls despite already having powers

Do they strip her down and photograph her without her consent?

Anime is the gateway to homosexuality and degeneracy. Stay clear.

>imbligying

our lord and savior bakker
praise his hallowed name

No they pour trash on her or something for being weird and plain

Just as typical as you would imagine

What am I looking at.
It looks bad.

Loads

Name of the Wind which is popular but trash is a super obvious example

Any SFF set in a fantasy United States except it has Dubai, Paris, and 18th century Germany as provinces?

Worm's fun but you have to realise that it's insanely long.

It's divided into sections so I guess you could read one at a time and then do something else.

You can't make me say BotNS, user

Do not bully user’s hard work

He spent days in ms paint making that

I’m on book 2 and loving it. I loved the first book as well. But it’s clearly not for everyone.

Not the picture itself but the message it sends.
I feel as if it's someone getting jewed.

I thought the world-building or whatever was interesting, i guess it deconstructed the superhero genre decently well, but if you want a series that’s crisply edited, challenging, doesn’t read like a 16 year old wrote it, etc, you might wanna look elsewhere. Had to stop reading because i was groaning out loud when the author felt the need to explain in detail things we could infer from the text easily

It’s in the second to last book overall and is one of the high points. Also a major spoiler.

I only got to arc 6 but it never made sense to me why those girls went after her so hard. Seems like it was only because she was the protagonist and she had to have some kind of hard life

That’s literally reason why

Couldn’t make it past that first chapter, it was so fucking plain and generic troubled teen with powers start.

That's entirely believable though, women are cunts, young ones are worse.

My high school had two anorexic women and one really hot girl leave because the harpies were out in force.

Its at its best at street level
I read through all of it and can barely recall most stuff after the timeskip midway through
Some of the other stuff the guy wrote is pretty good, I really enjoyed Pact and while i didn't finish twig i thought it was ok

Hence patrician

You’re definitely right about that. I guess in the story it just seemed kinda manufactured to give the protag a hard life. Made it hard for me to really connect with what was happening. Some kind of reason for why she was being bullied, even if it was a shitty one, would have made that storyline seem more believable

Can someone recommend an epic fantasy series with a single POV?

Very true. Basically discard any user’s opinion who didn’t finish GOTM aka the ultimate pleb filter

Asking once more for some books about ambitions people managing to do great things, whether it is fantasy or sf. Great things like build empires and conquer planets, not get a promotion or other small things. Please help.

Malazan my dude

I finished it audio book, that is. Can I be patrician.

WMW.

Sounds like you're into chinese cultivation literature.

>WMW
>Warlock of the Magus World
what?
This looks both edgy and has chinese writing on the first page.
I guess was right at least.
Or does the abreviatiion stand for something else.

>that feel when this used to be posted around in /lgbt/ as a recruiting campaign
i-it's true

this should come with a warning like "read in private". i started reading wild wastes while sitting next to my mom while she was watching tv...i am got a boner.. she saw.. and went back to watching tv...
it's like a warcraft eroctica with orc girls

Lmao sure, i listened to a bit of the audiobook as well. Lister is a great narrator

Yeah, chinese cultivation is all about ambitious men wanting strength, which usually ends up in some form of godhood.
I can't think of any where a main character aspires to rule a kingdom, more where they just form one because it's more convenient to have a bunch of people working for you.

World of Cultivation has both kingdom, and army building, but more of a focus on the latter.
The thing is that these stories always have people leaving the land they were in before, and it basically becomes irrelevant later, but WoC at least doesn't make it completely irrelevant.

You can find links to the translation sites on novelupdates.

>discord
>literally selling my information to contribute to a book for FREE
Start an IRC channel or something.

That's probably what he meant.

What you described is a very eastern concept.
Western fantasy tends to surround a completed journey then retirement, like an author admiring a life well lived.

eh, it's a way to get normals onboard. rizon #sffg-antho but it'll be lonely because /sffg/ is pleb