Rap Music > Poetry

Common guys let's face it.
With rap music existing, why are they still poets writing, what is the point ?
Rap has just more possibilities to explore. It just seems to me like writing poetry doesn't make anymore sense today.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_O3U87n2pUw
youtube.com/watch?v=lfCXvZezm5I
youtube.com/watch?v=v6YJjkO7F5A
youtube.com/watch?v=43gm3CJePn0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why do anything anymore?

Rap music = poetry*
"Bust a nut in you but I want my seed to die, 'cause you not my wife, just a sweet disguise"

Inertia, self-satisfied mediocrity and permissive parenting have ushered me into a space where my immediate social circle is comprised of people who unironically think this. It's tough out there for a pseud.

There is not a precise definition of what are the boundaries between poetry and simple straightforward language. Many prose excerpts of great novels use language in such a way that one can not avoid calling it poetic. So when we talk of music lyrics and rap lyrics I feel that we might be talking about poetry, although it is being recited or sung and not merely read. However, the problem is that most rap lyrics are simply mediocre, or rather worse than mediocre. Most academic poetry is also mediocre, so the actual problem is that good writing, good word arranging that we might call poetic without a doubt are quite rare. Poetry and rap are not exclusive: they are the same thing, the difference being that rap is going to be spoken and sung to the sound of rhythmic beats. Yet that does not save most of rap and book/magazine poems from beeing low-quality.

Dawg, poetry can inhabit more forms than any other written word.

“WEEEEEOOOOOWEEEEEOOOOOWEEEEEOOOOO BANGER ALERT. BANGER ALERT. WEEEEEOOOOOWEEEEEOOOOOWEEEEEOOOOO BANGER ALERT. BANGER ALERT.

We're talking gorilla warfare. Fresh off the press, #DicksOutForBlackLives delivers on all levels. Opening with his signature raspy, unintelligible yelling, Juvenile Ruffian sets a clear tone that he hasn't changed a single thing since last album, and that's exactly what I was hoping for. The first verse opens with an allusion to the content of the rest of the song (and it could be said that the entire mixtape is derivative from this early and only theme): that Juvenile Ruffian is not afraid to use violence in the age of information, and that he might even approve of your social media pleas in that it would feed his ego, juxtaposing his own behavior with the gorilla's but suspending his own parallel death. It is immediately revealed that not only will the Ruffian hurt you, but it will hurt you to see his impressive collection of real estate, cars, and the seduction (sexual and social and perhaps in a violent sense) of your own children and significant others. He also references having arrived at his high school prom in a Rolls Royce, though that is anecdotal and as of yet unconfirmed. The first verse closes with Ruffian's convincing of himself that a second person loves him, which I interpreted to be the internet's reaction to him.

The hook of this song is what makes it in my opinion. Juvenile Ruffian has murdered many African-Americans, generally for money, possibly while driving luxury vehicles. In the only direct reference to his role model, Harambe, he claims that he will defend himself and his property just as the famous ape killed a small, defenseless child. In referencing the primate, Ruffian also alludes to Mothra, a famous Hindu tragic hero in an old Bollywood movie. Strikingly, after this comparison, we immediately see a transition to his more sensual side, talking about how he really cares about the act of coitus more than his violent habits, following this up with an ambiguous line which has been the subject of much debate: it's impossible to hear and Ruffian has declined to clear up whether he says I just wanna have a baby; I just wanna go crazy about you or I ain't wanna have a baby; I ain't wanna go crazy about you. Regardless, the line supplements Ruffian's unstable mental condition which leads to his ability to intimidate, especially knowing how successful he is (which we heard in the first verse) despite this instability. To finish the hook and segue back into the verse, Ruffian reveals that he's on a pain reliever which can induce contentedness through euphoria and mild sedation, often resulting in sleepiness.

Rap will liberate a generation of people who have forgotten what it means to be alive

Not all forms of poetry really translate into music.

For example, I haven't heard much music that makes effective use of free verse.

Until people figure that out I don't think songwriting can completely supplant purely written poetry

rap can work well as slam poetry

youtube.com/watch?v=_O3U87n2pUw

>IMPLYING
youtube.com/watch?v=lfCXvZezm5I

>Common guys

French rap music is genuinely better than modern French poetry. Rappers like Booba, Nekfeu, Lomepal, Kaaris, Salif or Alpha Wann are capable of delivering great poetic insights and aphorisms.

Comment leur faire confiance ? Ils ont tué le Christ

I don't care about black people.

*crying laughing emoji*

The information like art, it hurt the race
Because we judge before we classify
It's like a cage, human race has failed
Even though we in space we still hate ourselves
The age of information is hell

What is your opinion on oxmo puccino? I have all his albums on my ipod and can't speak a word of french.

Le problème avec le hop-hop français, c'est la production. Ils ont dix ans de retard sur la scène américaine ; forcément leur truc est inécoutable. Cela dit, oui la plume est supérieure... pour ce que ça vaut.

"Harassment, ate nickels of hash, delay quick, and then
Dash to Saint Nicholas pad to taste venison"

dork

This is bad
Did you write this?
If you did, dont.

What is the Paradise Lost of rap music?

based eyedea

youtube.com/watch?v=v6YJjkO7F5A

Hennessy and Sailor Moon, I just wanna be with you
I know what you're feeling inside cause I know I feel you
My money rain blue, Hennessy and Sailor Moon

I'm pretty sure that album doesn't have a plot or anything, it's just loosely strung together technobabble

Is there anything more despicable than some beta white soyboy who elevate feral babbling niggers to the level of actual artists/writers?

I'd nominate dr. octagonocologyst for that award, del's work does have a loose plot, being that of a disillusioned mech pilot sticking it to """the man""", but being a dumbass he gets captured and memory wiped. Honestly I just wanted an excuse to post a concept album here. I also considered masta ace's disposable arts.

"more possibilities to explore" Since poetry includes rap (under "usually shitty"), that makes no sense. Also, most rapping is about how well the rapper raps or how much money/sex/fame/haters it brings him. It's pretty sad shit.

>most rapping is about how well the rapper raps or how much money/sex/fame/haters it brings him.
True, but there's some interesting things going on in hip-hop. For example I find this kind of new/refreshing:
"I see a black man aimin' his gun
But I'd rather see a black man claimin' his son
And I don't mean just for one day and you done
I mean, you still trapped in a rut
And I work my ass off and I pay my taxes for what?
So you can keep livin' off free government assistance?"

youtube.com/watch?v=43gm3CJePn0

this is nice bait kek