Since we all know he is next for becoming the newest revived author

Where do I start with this guy?

What are you talking about "revived"

Ideally, Pickwick (great xmas chapter) or maybe Copperfield. But start with Tale.

What? Tale of Two Cities is the worst Dickens. Bleak House, Copperfield or Great Expectations are the best places to start. At the very least, don't choose Two Cities or Barnaby Rudge (which is great, just not an ideal starting place)

Great Expectations

drood

The Dan Simmons Novel?

never heard of it pal

Why did you post the word "drood"

don't start with this. even if it is good, a big part of dickens is drawing all the threads together and finishing things off. drood might exemplify certain aspects of dickens's writing, but you'll be missing a lot.

What the fuck is a "drood"?

The Mystery of Edwin Drood. It's Dickens' last, unfinished novel. Do you fucking idiots know anything at all about literature? Or even just how questions are asked in the internet age? www.google.com search "dickens drood"

If you're starting right now, then you need to read 'A Christmas Carol'. After that, Dickens wrote four other 'Christmas books', none of which reached the same heights but are cozy and (notably for such a prolific writer) short

The Pickwick Papers would be another good place to start. It's the first major work he published, and the funniest. It establishes right away Dickens' talent for creating humorous characters. (His work shows a definite trajectory from more humorous earlier works toward a greater social conscience and even cynicism later in his career.) The main obstacle in tackling Pickwick right away is its length and Dickens' wordy style that takes time getting accustomed to for a reader in 2017.

One could also start with one of his non-doorstopper works, the best of which is probably Great Expectations. Tale of Two Cities is worth reading too, but is very different from basically all Dickens' other writing in its entirely serious tone. Also these two works are from later in Dickens' career. Oliver Twist is another possibility, but it's not as essential as the other two

In general,

The first thing that comes up when you google drood is the Dan Simmons novel so it's not improper to presume that that novel is what you were talking about for some reason on the literature board. Then you say that that is not what you were talking about, so you're asked what it is that you're talking about.
No need to be such a snippy little bitch.

dickens thread
www.google.com
search:
(dickens AND drood)

problem solved. in fact, google doesn't even require the AND, though it might be helpful to you to learn about boolean operators in search. perhaps then you could answer your own retarded questions.

If we were in a Dostoyesky thread and I posted "Lebezyatnikov", would you google Dostoyevsky Lebezyatnikov or would you just google Lebezyatnikov? And, If the first result was a novel by a different author titled Lebezyatnikov, wouldn't it be fair to assume that that was what the person was talking about?
I know you need this BTFO #REKT tier win against some anonymous guy on the internet to stop yourself from ending it all but, sorry, I'm not going to let you have it. There's no need for you to be such a whiny little bitch over a non-issue.

Post more Mokous

What? Hard Times represents Dickens at his worst. Clearly, (you) never made it out of the first 30 or so pages of fog, Cities being among his best, and ultimately- though a late work- one of his most accessible. Oh, and relatively short. The opinion cited is either willfully perverse or just ignorant. Hopefully the latter.

b

>the first 30 or so pages of fog
Not him, but I am glad to see that it does get better. I had just finished Great Expectations and picked up Tale of Two Cities but gave up due to how confusing the beginning was.

I'm not that guy, but you're pretty wrong here. If you had gone into any random thread and simply said "Lebezyatnikov" you would be correct, but this is a Dickens thread, and the poster who said "drood" was responding to a post about Dickens' novels. It should have been abundantly clear from the context what was being talked about