Cat Person

So what did Veeky Forums think?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/12/cat-person-going-viral-rare-women-sex-lives-new-yorker-show-story-metoo?CMP=fb_gu
pastebin.com/hgCS1hbr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>thot manipulates and sexually humiliates an insecure loser for idle amusement
>thot is a woman, so her emotions absolve her from any responsibility for her immoral behavior
>when insecure loser finally realizes he's been had and calls her out, thot feigns victimhood
>story is written in whiny womanish uptalk (narration sounds more like dialogue, dialogue sounds like that of a sitcom), prose equivalent of vocal fry
>emphasis placed on casual realism and mass commercial appeal rather than beauty or even entertainment
>sprinklings of trendy progressive attitudes and simpering faggot sarcasm abound
>main character/writer (can't remember their names) have since been embraced by the twitter brahmin as martyr-icons
>all-in-all, story isn't much more than a big sloppy ode to female resentment, and I deeply regret having wasted my time reading and thinking about it

Its a strange sort of piece which was more interesting as a glimpse inside a disgusting mind more than what it was intended by the author. Kind of like a mass shooters manifesto

stop making new threads for this when there's already half a dozen in the catalog

You're seriously asking the opinion of a bunch of Roberts on the story?

I was just thinking about how Margot's imaginary perfect boyfriend seems a little effeminate, and her ex boyfriend who isn't really portrayed negatively at all is a trans woman.

good post

Very low effort.

the psychology of the main girl reminds me the destructive thinking plaguing so many girls today- constructing an imaginary image of a man they know little to nothing about. it's possibly a result of his 'manipulation' as the narrator seems to portray it, but why a girl would tacitly consent to the arrangement is beyond me.
it makes for an interesting enough character. to hold it as socially important dialogue though only serves to pronounce the psychological retardations of every adherent

This is a total Robert thing to say. Robert would definitely find New Yorker short stories to be insightful and poignant. Probably he would identify with Margot over himself, who he would find to be misogynistic and pathetic (but, secretly, also somewhat understandable)

Are we getting shilled? Stop posting this shit.

>prose equivalent of vocal fry
Wooo that was good

Margot was in almost no way defendable until the author inserts the magic "whore" word in the last line. Now she is OFFICIALLY a victim.

I can't put it any better than did. It really is an ode to resentment and misplaced bitterness

He does not seem like a reader at all to me.

robert is the above-average redditor with computer science degree

For crying out loud! Stop with the shilling!! We said it was a piece of shit the first 34 times! If you are one of the cretins that think this is what literature is supposed to be, or that literature is a tool to use in your activism then fuck off to reddig or the Guardian. Here I leave a link so you can know where to start.
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/12/cat-person-going-viral-rare-women-sex-lives-new-yorker-show-story-metoo?CMP=fb_gu

I think we are. Question is: can we get the mods to do something about it? Maybe that we have one dedicated thread for this shit so it doesn't take space away from more worthwhile discussions?

Is the story's title a reference to this article?

>the psychology of the main girl reminds me the destructive thinking plaguing so many girls today- constructing an imaginary image of a man they know little to nothing about.

I don't see the problem with this. The real problem is once that imagination is broken THATS IT, no room for waiting to see if he just needs to open up or some trust had to be built to get the same rapport. One bad date and she writes him off and tells herself she has no idea who he is despite weeks of exchanging texts.

Is that the *nods respectfully towards you* guy?

This makes no sense. Tomcats are absolute assholes, male dogs at least raise their pubs given the chance

>the psychology of the main girl reminds me the destructive thinking plaguing so many girls today- constructing an imaginary image of a man they know little to nothing about.

Gendering non-gender issues is retarded both ways user.

Fuck, even Goethe did this.

>story starts with Margot flirting for tips
>story ends with Margot being called a whore

Full circle.

How the fuck is this not a gender issue?

Absolute shitshow, revealed the worst features of the people who unequivocally side with either character.

This. Though I doubt the author intended it to be taken as 'coming full circle'.

Constructing an image of someone you have a crush on is not "plaguing many girls today", it has been a staple of romantic literature and human psychology since the very dawn of time.

The whore is immunized against all dangers: one may call her a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off her like water off a raincoat. But call her a whore and you will be astonished at how she recoils, how injured she is, how she suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”

Hmm...
This vaguely sounds familiar from an other discussion on Veeky Forums. Not saying I disagree with this version though...

I prefer Dog Person aka cat person from Robert's POV

pastebin.com/hgCS1hbr

That doesn't dispute it as being a gender issue and referencing the timescale is simply pedantic.
Just because something affects both genders (differently) doesn't mean it isn't a gender issue

Without opening this I just know its going to be reddit

>narration sounds more like dialogue, dialogue sounds like that of a sitcom
>prose equivalent of vocal fry
>simpering faggot sarcasm
>the twitter brahmin

This was a good post

It's more /pol9kfedorable/ than anything.

>small log

>his boss, Mr. Usurioustein

Yeah you're rigjt

anybody posted this to /r9k/yet? do they know how to read?

Just checked the front page. At the very top is a cat person thread with 300+ replies

Why doesnt she tell him to stop?

Ummm sweetie it doesn't work that way.

A real man would just know

Margot did nothing wrong
She makes a mistake and pity-fucks some dude who turns out to be 14 years her senior, realizes she made a mistake and then some 34 year old dude creeps at a college bar resents the fuck out of her as soon as he realizes she wont sleep with him again. The only reason this is even controversial is because Veeky Forums is full of cringey, entitled Robert motherfuckers who respond to anybody not liking them with resentment instead of fixing their shit desu

>knowingly leading people on is fine
>fantasizing about yourself during sex is normal behavior
>hysterically laughing at someone during sex is fine too
>anyone who disagrees with me is x therefore their opinion is invalid
Great post friend.

P much this

Robert was a cringeworthy neckbeard. I lost all sympathy for him at the end when he got all buttflustered about seeing her with another dude.

Better than last week's fiction about the scary dog though. I found that one kind of dull.

Good articles but I skipped the venezuela thing... Foreign issues can't really hold my attention yet.

I liked it. The description of her getting turned on by being a fantasy fuck was hilarious.
Must be pretty tiring to overthink so much every little social interaction as she does, though.

>reacting naturally is wrong
>feeling pressured through passive agression is right
>there is a certain set of things you should think about during sex

Robert was a degenerate and Margot was inexperienced. He wasn't malevolent or a monster, but he was not self aware either and not particularly good. The story is not very judgemental either way; but it has made me reflect on my own banal kind of bad and that is painful, but instead of wrenching angrily at the pain I am hoping to grow through it. I have definitely been a bit like Robert at times.

>>feeling pressured through passive agression is right
That's a very convenient excuse if you want to play the victim instead of asserting your own authority onto any given situation. It's incredibly immature.
>>reacting naturally is wrong
If your reaction is to laugh at someone during an intimate moment, yes that's probably not the right call. Glad we agree on something.
>>there is a certain set of things you should think about during sex
Yes, fantasizing about yourself probably isn't one of them if you're a well adjusted person.
>Robert was a degenerate and Margot was inexperienced
I think you mixed the characters up, user. Robert was the inexperienced one, the author herself confirms that.

Fuck didn't even realize this lol

Thanks to the user who made this thread for helping me realize that Veeky Forums is just a bunch of pathetic angsty Roberts. Now I can take my leave with the certainty that I won't be missing out on anything of value.

It didn’t really tell Margot Robbie’s life story like I thought it would. This was cool and everything, but I would have liked to have seen something closer to the time she started being in movies.

I really liked this story, but not because I agree with the author's intent.
To me the story really reveals one of the biggest problems with modern society: hookup culture. Margot gets deeply involved in a relationship with a man she knows nothing about, and gets btfo for it. But the incredible part is, the main reason she ended up with a loser like Robert is because he is so similar to her. They both have similar standards for humor, for a date, for how fast to move in a relationship, etc. They operate on the same wavelength. When she suddenly hates him towards the end, she's really hating herself. He's like a mirror to her, and of course she doesn't like what she sees. Give her fifteen years and she'll be the female equivalent of Robert - unless she matures.
But the best part is all of the roasties defending her and identifying with her. It really reveals their own shortcomings reflected in Margot, and by extension Robert. I'm not saying this should be your only litmus test when talking to a woman (or to a guy for that matter) but definitely keep it in mind - if they defend one character over the other, they probably don't understand either, and certainly don't understand love, sex or commitment.

True, they are both symptomatic of a sick social configuration. Robert’s behavior during the sex, as well as his reaction at the end, is a total deus ex machina meant to vindicate Margot.

Because she has a power fantasy

It's legitimately terrifying to me that you read
>Robert was a degenerate and Margot was inexperienced
And just immediately took it to mean in sex rather than say, in the ways of the world, as though the central factor of why it's p fucked is how many times theyve fucked before?like it says a shitload about your insecurities my guy
seek help

aka peak soy