Where should I start with Susan Sontag?

Where should I start with Susan Sontag?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/books/00/03/12/specials/sontag-communism.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>muh dik

Against Interpretation

I have a feeling that this thread will be filled with infographics soon.

She rode the crest of culture, maybe a little ahead of the culture, which gave her her edge (in addition to being photogenic).

I don't think there's much in her body of work that's still particularly relevant. She was of her time and place; her hot takes are basically as dead as the culture that gave rise to them.

Who wants yesterday's papers?
Who wants yesterday's girl?

check out some quotes from her work first to get a taste, if you haven't already

where could one find such quotes?

no-body in the world!

don't bother

y not?

her anus

You reap what you sow.

Like this one?

>The truth is that Mozart, Pascal, Boolean algebra, Shakespeare, parliamentary government, baroque churches, Newton, the emancipation of women, Kant, Marx, Balanchine ballets, et al, don't redeem what this particular civilization has wrought upon the world. The white race is the cancer of human history.

>As a fellow white person. . .

Illness and metaphor

Kek

Isn't she that cunt of a Jewess who said "The White race is the cancer of human history."? Literally, an oven-justifier.

My favorite quote. :)

Unzip your pants

holy....source?

Either the essay on Camp or the little travelogue she wrote after visiting North Vietnam. Generally speaking, her earlier stuff is better.

On photography

>The truth is that Mozart, Pascal, Boolean algebra, Shakespeare, parliamentary government, baroque churches, Newton, the emancipation of women, Kant, Marx, Balanchine ballets, et al, don't redeem what this particular civilization has wrought upon the world. The white race is the cancer of human history.

According to journalist Mark M. Goldblatt, Sontag later "recanted" the statement, saying that "it slandered cancer patients,"[27] but according to Eliot Weinberger, "She came to regret that last phrase, and wrote a whole book against the use of illness as metaphor."

How does one get to be like this? How can one's immediate social circle allow them to fall into disgrace so deeply?

I'd say a lot of the early 60s stuff is her still finding her voice and is too hermetically sealed with all of her references and influences, this is someone who was in college by the time she was 15.

Regarding the Pain of Others couldn't be more relevant to today, some of her other work is touch and go with most of it being good

sontag would be thrilled that people are still pissed over this statement 40 years later

Don't. She's just a typical edgy lib who was rocketed to fame thanks to her vicious hatred of Marxism

An American Foucault or Arednt, except with even less to say

>her vicious hatred of Marxism

only thing this con-artist should be commended for.

Hilarious that people can read this quote and call her a cultural marxist

they eat their own.

yes, they are capable of honesty

Perhaps so, although the North Vietnam piece I recommended is referential hardly at all, and the camp piece refers to what most everyone who actually reads here (over the age of say 24) pretty much knows (a measure of camp's success). But perhaps youre right in a way. My favorite collection of hers is probably Under the Sign of Saturn, and that's pretty much all '70's stuff. Her palpable almost naive enthusiasm for books is what initially turned me on to her, however.

So the white race is the nucleus of the fall of human civilisation?

white people, as in European and US colonization, have caused more deaths throughout the world than the cultural achievements of those countries could ever make up for, not a very hard concept to understand

That Sontag insisted throughout her career that communism is fascism and rejected Marxist analysis proves that the "cultural marxists" /pol/ bites their fingernails about are just edgy liberals without any connection to Marxism

What was her north vietnam piece? Did she actually support the war because "communism is mean"?

was she every forthright with this, I found most of her notebook writings on this too vague or slippery to parse/tell if her problem was with the left or just a particular set of people

But that's stupid because quantifying and qualifying cultural contributions is basically impossible. The calculus she's talking about is pointless.

These statements do nothing other than show off how edgy you are

I guess it depends who you ask.

But that's stupid because quantifying and qualifying cultural contributions is basically impossible. The calculus she's talking about is pointless.

These statements do nothing other than show off how edgy you are

Very forthright.
>Communism is Fascism—successful Fascism, if you will. What we have called Fascism is, rather, the form of tyranny that can be overthrown—that has, largely, failed. I repeat: not only is Fascism (and overt military rule) the probable destiny of all Communist societies—especially when their populations are moved to revolt—but Communism is in itself a variant, the most successful variant, of Fascism. Fascism with a human face...

nevermind
nytimes.com/books/00/03/12/specials/sontag-communism.html

this was the 70s though iirc and I don't know if any mainstream white people were saying anything along those lines
basically she's saying Europe and the Us have caused more destruction in the world than creation

You're right and you're right. But she's got a point as well that you're not willing to entertain. Which is fine, it's all fine.

If so, it's a giddy point because it begs the question, who then is racially speaking to be held responsible for the rise? If the answer to that question is ALSO the white race, then absolutely no one else 'racially other' matters, which is clearly false.

She's got a point that white individuals have done unspeakable evil, but so have individuals from every other race. There's nothing uniquely destructive about Western civilization, and the West only became globally hegemonic because material circumstance allowed that to happen.

I'd like to usher you towards . Same low-level cognition, but they chose the Jews instead.

So surprised to find out that the thread is now full of assblasted /pol/babies who haven't read a single book of hers.

No. She just visited N. Vietnam during the war and wrote a long article about her experience. :The leadership there's a wash, but the determination and the resourcefulness of the people is inspirational, even amazing. Begin it and (you) won't put it down. A little shorter than John Hersey's Hiroshima.

>There's nothing uniquely destructive about Western civilization
You're right.
>the west only became globally hegemonic because material circumstances allowed that to happen
You're right. Pls don't hurt me.

Fuck that white-hating bitch.

This thread:
How much of what is considered acceptable discourse is determined by the approval of white people? Minorities my get offended at racial slurs, but we can't even talk about the history of the west without offending whitey. Hmm...
Who really has the monologic voice in society? Best not to talk at all then.

Another retard who thinks 'white peepo' is an intellectually homogeneous group, who issues its stamps of approval on discourse. White peeopo generally thrived on intellectual heterodoxy and Sontag's 'slur' wasn't the equivalent of a rhetorical stylistic 'nigger' thrown around by edgy twnty-somethings, but a conclusion reached by the likes of Stormfront.

I find it funny that people think she's some kind of Jewish supremacist when she very clearly sad herself and other Jews as part of the Western cancer

Cliff liked her. So I guess she is fine by me.

So uhh, did Sontag ever offer an argument for this statement before she "recanted"? She seems like the queen of the pseuds and a pioneer in the field of mass media race baiting.

She's right, though

She conveniently ignores the industrial-scale atrocities of the Japs and Turks, but whatever, fuck white people amirite?

But she's white?

It's not even that I'm unwilling. I'm incapable of doing. There's no way I could ever conceive of a human life as being nearly as valuable as human achievement.

/pol/'s infographics with the statement usually have Marx's name removed from the quote. It's kind of funny.

She was only saying what jews really feel. To comprehend the amount of hatred jews have towards whites you have to understand their fucked up culture that breeds it. This kikess was never regretful she said it, she was regretful that it caused some whites to say "wtf?" and notice that a jew said it. Jews say shit like this all the time because they're genocidal psychopaths.

her late ex-husband

Solid book on Freud.