Other urls found in this thread:

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/d.aspx
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/p.aspx
youtube.com/watch?v=RQLndlzHHxQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ok user we get it u r smart

TERROR and it was LIKE WINGS and BLACKER THAN THE NIGHT an ANCIENT EVIL

The terror... The HORROR

I get the feeling he took it from Dante.

How do I get into Lovecraft?

By reading faget

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/d.aspx
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/p.aspx

Open a book written by Lovecraft and read it.

He has more to say.

That's not helpful. There must be a critical consensus on what must be the best or the worst in his catalogue (notwithstanding the diversity of authorship within the Cthulhu mythos).

I don't remember a single monolith in Lovecraft. He's more into dark abysses

lol. he looks like timothy mcveigh

people make fun but big themes of lovecraft's are the insignificance of human endeavour on a cosmic scale, and revulsion/horror when faced with the unknown

that includes the futility/fragility of the descriptions we use to understand the world around us: that they are mostly provisional/irrational/fraudulent, that a lot of the universe's mysteries are beyond our ability to grasp

one of the lessons you learn when you've been around the development of stories/film/games long enough is that you actually shouldn't be anxious to define everything thoroughly...

ambiguity, loose ends, and the unknown draw people in, because it all engages their imaginations

the people who want everything to be known and planned and orderly are honestly the worst people to work with, because when you try to leave flexibility in a piece they REEEE until it's perfectly complete and fleshed out in their minds

>reddit spacing

Dagon has a monolith.

Yeah yeah we know that. But it's funny the "tell but don't show" stuff.

I don't understand why this meme is so popular. If anything Lovecraft describes excessively. His descriptions are so florid and overloaded with adjectives and adverbs that they eventually engulf the reader and instigate awe. The absolute opposite of not describing something

Compare it to Phil Spector's Wall of Sound, where the noises are so heavily layered and there's so much spill that the listener can no longer distinguish between individual instruments and notes and can only make out glimpses of harmony and beauty. What Brian Wilson called "holy music." An incoherent mass of extreme density which your mind can only experience segments of, which impulsively discerns vague shapes and outlines but ultimately fails to grasp the exact details. That reaching and and feeling but always failing to grasp is the basis of transcendence, and it's why Lovecraft is one of the best writers of the 20th century

Impossible angles.

non euclidean geometry

Oh woah, you mean like a doughnut?

Just read the two stories I linked you. They are among his earliest, and set the themes and styles of his later work.
You like them? Proceed to read his work,
You don't like them? Maybe try reading some of his most celebrated stories most or just don't bother.

beautiful. you win something.

Because it's funny man. We know the importance of Lovecraft, damn he's more influential than Tolkien nowadays. It's just funny they way that he uses to don't describe things. But in At The Mountains of Madness, he described everything.

>TERROR and it was LIKE WINGS and BLACKER THAN THE NIG an ANCIENT EVIL
ftfy

There's no 'critical consensus', you autist He's a pulp horror writer and call of cthulu is his most famous one. Just pick up a collection and read it.

Personally, my favourite stories of his are The Colour out of Space, the nameless city, and rats in the walls. The dream cycle is cool too

Not everything. What the fuck did Danforth see at the end? I guess something related to Kadath and the Dreamlands, but it's too vaguely conveyed to be sure

Huuum good memory dear user. I didn't remember that. That's right, this, he didn't describe. No idea what that thing was. But yeah, I agree with you, something related with Dreamlands.

He's a short story guy, find a collection.

Steinbeck looks like Jeffrey Dahmer in some pictures. More research needs to be done on this topic.

Read his story, “The Outsider”.
It’s my favorite story by him.

Why he looks constipated in all the pictures I see of him?

>le master ruseman

Bowel cancer.

How much I love a wall of sound.
youtube.com/watch?v=RQLndlzHHxQ

his black cat nigger man

I actually considered naming any future black cat I should own Niggerman.

Too bad his prose is decent and the stories are compelling and a borderline a series of borderline genius speedfreaks redeemed his whole mythos for all time.

Yes

>critical consensus

Bruuuuh they're one of my favorite bands, never seen anyone else that knows of them

A MILLION spooky tentacles of d00m *holds up spork*

I DIDNT FUCKING UNDERSTAND IT AND IM A SCIENTIST
WTF

I own two regular pressings and a test pressing of the Galilean Satellites vinyl record. Although that's probably the highlight of my record collection. Phenomenal band.

An evil penguin followed them

>never seen anyone talking about the best post-metal band of the last two decades
sad desu

>Because it's funny man. We know the importance of Lovecraft, damn he's more influential than Tolkien nowadays
jej

he's a bad racist though :C

R’lyeh in The Call of Cthulu is full of monoliths

I hate you guys sometimes...

Things seemed pretty normal at first BUT LET ME TELL YOU THEY ACTUALLY WEREN'T

Alright...this got me

AN OLDER THAN ANCIENT FORCE
THAT SLAYS THIS LIFE WITH NO REMORSE

that's pretty weird

>implying there's anything wrong with looking like an American hero

dude wtf i hate indescribable abyssal voids now!!

technology allowed the monster that simply resided

i'm gonna actually reply to this and say that simply needs to be deleted cuz it's gay

my cat only responds to nigger kitty

it was an infinity of awesome

dis a gud analysis

>Bruuuh

fuck off

niggers should all hang