What book made you realize your love for literature?

What book made you realize your love for literature?

Did he include himself in that category?

Don Quixote

As a young kid, the first real book I read on my own was Huckleberry Finn. Twain is still one of my favorites.

To kill a mockingbird, in highschool. Reading Dostoevsky got caused me to exclusively read christian theology and fiction.

As a kid, I remember placing a stool that I can step on because I couldn't reach my uncle's bookshelf. I got up and started browsing his huge sci-fi collection, most of them were in Russian and a lot of those who weren't were really thick (e.g. Dune), and this was the first one that my young mind deemed suitable.
Haven't looked back since.

Unironically Harry Potter, but I was like five, so forgive me, please

the things they carried in high school

The Great Gatsby.
Didn't understand it too much when I was 12 but I loved the prose.

The Blind Owl

On the Road

Come on, don't deny you liked it when you were a child. I'm as anti-HP as it gets, I would never read that tripe to my children, but it's what got me into reading if I'm being honest

I know it's pleb as fuck, but I really loved Catcher In The Rye. The voice that Holden had was unlike anything else I had really read before. And being a shitty teenager, reading a book about a shitty teenager, was a fun ride. From there a lot of the lit that I read was pretty good, A Lesson Before Dying, Huckleberry Finn, Bug Jargal, Heart of Darkness. Not even any of the hawthorne bullshit could make me not want to study this stuff.

not a book but my grandfather used to read me some of chekhov's short stories when i would spend the night with my grandparents.

I was never exposed to Harry Potter as a child, somehow I missed all the movies on TV and after that there was a point where everyone else had watched them and loved them so I just decided to be a contrarian

You're lucky, it's trash and I'm ashamed to have enjoyed it even as a five year old. Help your children be smarter people

Amazing book in its simplicity imho

Siddhartha at the age of 11

The Culture of Critique

Fahrenheit by Bradbury, it made me look at myself and realize that I used to be a common pleb

My nigger

Of course.

Zeno's Conscience

Lolita ironically then war and peace(in russian of course) unironically

I will never not laugh at the greatly deserved ridicule of this hack fraud. DFW will be remembered by posterity as the most incompetent snake oil salesman western literature has ever produced.
The only sincere act of his life was when he kicked away the chair. His life was nothing but a series of ironies and lies predicated on the the joke that is new sincerity. The big punchline was the creaking of the rafter and the piss trickling down his leg to the floor.
His epiphany that the only viable thing for him to do was to kill himself was the best thing to happen to literature in 30 years since he began writing because behind all the self aware gimmicks and self help books and the drugs and the audience pussy there was no discernible talent

at least he didn't post copypasta

The Odyssey. I haven't read in a long time until I recently fell for the Greeks meme.

Confederacy of Dunces made me think I loved it
The Metamorphis showed me that I did not

this desu

Harry Potter is unironically kid book kino and is an excellent way to get your kids into reading.

Reading Harry Potter is one of my cherished childhood memories and got me into reading.

T.S. Eliots The Hallow Men

> being ashamed of enjoying something at 5

He should be.
I was reading Ulysses at 6.
Harry Potter was read to me as a zygote.

My father read the collected works of Plato to his balls everyday, so that whichever sperm cell would become his child had started with the greeks.

Get on my level.

When I was a kid Harry Potter first got me into reading and I think were the first books I really enjoyed.

In Middle School Stephen King kept me reading (I wasn't old enough to be entertained by serious lit but too old to enjoy kiddie shit like HP).

In High School Winesburg, Ohio is the first serious lit I enjoyed that got me reading more serious stuff. I've love literature ever since.

As much as lit memes on Harry Potter and Stephen King, I think they are great entry-level books to get children and teens into reading. The problem is pathetic infantilized adults who continue to read that tripe and never grow out of it. Anyone above 18 who unironically reads Ready Player One or Harry Potter for pleasure needs to be put down.

I chose A Clockwork Orange randomly from a list of "controversial books" for this grade 12 English project. Best choice of my life.

tfw I could have read

Unironically the Charlie Bone series

"Vomit on my sweater already
Mom’s spaghetti" - David Foster Wallace

This

I'd be happy to avoid it at every stage of life

>his dad doomed him to being forever a brainlet that started with Plato before the Presocratics

Maybe if I wanted my children to be pseuds like you and me

You know two or three years ago I'd have liked that quotation, but now it just reminds me how sheltered Wallace was. Most people are tired, overworked and realize life is a fucking bleak joke for the most part. I very much people are this self-absorbed and solipsistic.

When I was five I was playing with Sticks and Stones

Lit will kill me for this but Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid aswell as Percy Jackson those books were entertaining. Dad in grade 6 made me read Lord of the Flies and it was love at first sight from there on with Lit

Probably the Hobbit and LOTR, I was around six at the time. HP's were read to me, but I thought they were super lame as a child.

The Painted Bird in 7th grade

And you're probably a healthier, more creative person than I'll ever be

Anna Karenina.

A Series of Unfortunate Events started the lifelong quest to find my ever-elusive Jewish Veeky Forumsfu.

As a young, arrogant high school student I had to pick a classic to read and write an essay of. Luck would have it that I picked Crime and Punishment, that really resonated with me at the time.

great gatsby
even now its my favorite book ever

Who is Presocretes? I've done extensive philosophic reading and I've never heard of him

The Stranger. It appealed to my edgy 14 year old nihilist sensibilities. Still love Camus though.

But I hate literature.

Not sure the first since I've been reading since I was a wee bairn, but probably the big illustrates book of Greek myths my parents had in the garage.

Edge Chronicles

Still have yet to read a book with better world-building

I absolutely loved Roald Dahl's autobiography when I was a kid,I read it over and over till I moved on to his short stories,which were pretty great as well

Neuromancer

Loved the books, first watched the movie didn't appeal to me, but the books were great only read till around the 11th book and couldn't find the 12th and 13th book in the school library

I'm probably gonna get shit from Veeky Forums, but it was Dune when I was 10 or 11. I read voraciously since I was like five (a lot of fucking Redwall), but Dune was the first thing I read where it made me think about the world differently, instead of just consuming the story.

What books are best to get started into reading if you look back at all those books that you've read

lel

think more carefully about what you want to say. Read Don Quixote and The Trial

Congratulations, you got yourself caught.What's the next step of your master plan?

read book 13 dawg

This book

Books, lunch, calculators?

1984 when I was 13.

Red badge of courage when I was 11
1984& BNW in high school.
Anna Karenina in my junior year of high school.

when i discovered normies hate reading desu