Thoughts on horizontal books-cases?

Thoughts on horizontal books-cases?
All the rage with hipsters, or so I am told.

thats vertical you idiot

Sideways horizontal then. No need to quibbles.

/thread

Actually thats the wall

Looks nice, probably takes up less space. Don't know if I'd personally get one though.

The only reason to sperg out about this is if you're some kind of autist who takes every minor change in society as a personal attack. So I expect plenty of complaints in thsi thread.

getting one off the bottom would be a pain in the ass but you can always fit any size book in any stack

you could also just stack your books against the wall without having to buy this (although the bottoms of the stacks will get dusty/dirty)

4/10

Pulling specifics out seems like it'd suck ass. Perfect for people like me though because the only reason I buy books is for posturing and to appear intelligent to my peers. Who makes them and how much?

>want to grab a book from the bottom of the pile/shelf
>thousand of pages worth of books come tumbling down on me
>i am trapped under a pile of books, unable to escape
>die alone in my apartment after 4 days, nobody calls, nobody cares

putting books sideways makes them bend because they're not perfectly plain

yeah i love gimmicks that make my books harder to take out and easy to knock all over the place when i'm drunk

i have some of those. practically identical to the ones in the OP picture. they're awesome
i bought them from Habitat a few years ago in a sale
then they got discontinued and now the only ones i can find are really expensive like pic related
if anyone knows a cheaper place i want to know
otherwise i might make my own when i have the time

That's retarded expensive

you idiots
there are many small shelves like a stepladder
no shelf has more than about 5-6 books on it

Pretty but it's a pain to remove/add books to it. Good for plebs who just have books lying around for decoration.

Oh now I see it, I admit I didn't look very closely.

yeah i know
the bookcase would be worth more than the books on it
when i bought mine they were less than half that price
i wish i'd bought like 20 of them

I stacked all my books in a little alcove in my living room quite recently and it definitely is a fucking pain in the ass to get them out again. It's not impossible but once you've removed one or two books the structural integrity of the whole thing diminishes a lot.

I would always be knocking those things over

>thats vertical you idiot

The books are held horizontally.

they're remarkably stable
the metal base plate weighs a ton
i also have freestanding normal bookcases and they would be a lot easier to push over if they weren't against a wall

Yeah I need a new shelf but all the cheap ones look like shit and I'm poor. I want one with nice wood but all the Ikea ones suck ass.

we know u dumbass, it's still tough to have to lift 5 books to get to the bottom one when u don't just read short pleb tier novellas

No DFW. Obviously not a serious reader

>it's still tough to have to lift 5 books
i guess you are the person the shitty soy boy meme was made for

>sideways horizontal

>lifting 5 books is hard
Plato's complete works is about 1.5kg, 5 copies of it is 7.5 kg.
This shouldn't be difficult unless you're a woman.

Look retarded. Sounds retarded. Hipsters are retarded. OP is retarded.

0/10. 100% Retarded.

>me don't like the different thing. it stupid.

He's right though. It looks chaotic and untidy, it does not improve accessibility but rather worsenes it, it is arguably less stable. It's single advantage is the fact that the titles are horizontal.

what meme

yeah but if you want the book at the bottom of the shelf you gotta squat while doing it and you need to hold all 5 books with one hand because you need another hand to take the book you want while squatting

I prefer plain old bookshelves (or even just leaving books in random places) desu

But it is stupid. It doesn't improve on the classic design in any way, it just makes it look like you're stacking your books in a corner because you don't own a shelf.

Oh, also, you have to start by placing your books at the bottom to keep it stable, which means if you don't have enough to fill it they always start in the most inconvenient place to reach. These things are genuinely shit, I have no idea why someone thought they were a good idea, and I'm even more puzzled that someone would buy them.

It's postmodern art.

The shelves look like trees. Paper comes from trees. Makes you think. Voila.

It's literally just a fucking sideways bookshelf. Some people like the aesthetic of it and are no worse off for having their books on it. You're both just being little fucking autists about it.

I'm sorry you wasted hundreds of dollars to make it look like you don't own shelves

>its literally just a worse version of a simple product
dam ur right how could i have been so blind

I don't have one. I just don't get upset by other people buying furniture they like. Are you actually over 18?

>you have to start by placing your books at the bottom to keep it stable
you have to do this with normal bookcases. either that or attach it to the wall

>if you don't have enough to fill it
what?

absurd statement

> i think its worse so it's objectively worse

>upset
m8, I'm not the one freaking out. OP wants to know what I think of the thing, I think it's garbage

There've been plenty of reasons given for why it's bad. I haven't seen one yet for why you'd actually want it. That's pretty close to objectively worse.

Why not just do this shitty stacking technique using a regular bookcase?

>There've been plenty of reasons given for why it's bad
no there haven't
just random opinions
i actually own some of them and i would prefer to buy more of these than normal bookcases but the cost is prohibitive

>I haven't seen one yet for why you'd actually want it.
they save space and fit into more different room arrangements than standard bookcases
they are more easily moveable

You can get thinner bookcases, that save as much space, fit in the the same room arrangements, and are as easily moveable. The major difference between the two is that this style locks you into this stacking arrangement, which seems worse than the standard.

Stfu with pseudo art shit. It's a bookshelf, not art.

OP said horizontal bookcases, not horizontal books smart one

so uh... emily...

Do you soyboy also arrange your books by color because DAE AESTHETICS?

>that pic
pormhub comments really are the dankest place of the web right now

You should look at some of the comments under the various August Ames tribute videos.

>14 likes
it's on

Different person, I saw this a while ago

kek

kek

interesting how a movie is able to use a derogatory metaphor (slow students-slowness-slow slugs) to garner sympathy for those whom it "derogatates"

4CHINZ SHUT UP HE IS A SLUG. The literal message is HE IS A SLUG WHO IS SLOW LIKE SLUGS IN NATURE SO STOP.

these lowkey gays nowadays think it's legit baka