Faggles

is he really as bad as Veeky Forums says he is?

Yes there is no reason to read him when there is an actual debate between Lattimore and Fitzgerald plus Pope

who is better lattimore or fitzgerald?

It’s personal preference. If you really care so much about getting something close to the original without learning Homeric Greek, you should be reading multiple translations anyway.

You should probably stick to Lattimore when it comes to the Iliad and the Odyssey.

For the Aeneid, I have no clue. If some user wants to enlightenment about whether a better version of the Aeneid exists, let me know. I haven't looked into the translations for it.

He gets at least as much praise as criticism. It's fine, read him. People taking strong stances on English translations of Greek works is comical anyway. Just learn Greek if you care that much. Someone is going to want to come back at me with a lame excuse for not learning Greek like "But Greek isn't exactly the same at all times" .Obviously. Learn all of it.

Mandelbaum is so goddamn good

but shitting on Fagles is pretty stupid

No, but the people here who haven't read multiple translations will say he is.

Yeah recently read the Mandelbaum translation for class. Have you read his Metamorphoses?

It was my introduction to him.

It's funny, Veeky Forums's opinion on this translation has taken a complete shift in the last year or two. Fagles used to be the most recommended one by far.

And now you understand the shift.

Exactly the same with P&V

You should probably go with Fitzgerald, they'd likely use Lattimore in a classroom though.

Yes but then they reread and considered factors other than a pretty cover

>Exactly the same with P&V
P&V are the Lattimore of Russian

He's really good. People are just contrarians, they hate him because he's popular.

This guy is on point. Insisting on only one translation is the mark of someone who doesn't understand translation, nor the original work. If you're that bothered, you'll learn greek. If you're slightly less bothered, you'll read several translations.

Fagels is for pseuds who'd rather not read Homer at all. Read Fitzgerald, I've read both and Fitzgerald was a very different experience.

DRYDEN OR GET OFF MY BOARD

I prefer Lattimore for Homer and Fitzgerald for Virgil.

Fitzgerald IMO
Lattimore's translation of the New Testament is fucking amazing and worth buying though