Why arent ther more diogenes?

why arent ther more diogenes?

because frankly nobody today has the balls to risk becoming an outcast and social pariah. deviation from the norm is punished harshly and not revered. you have to be incredibly strong and self assured to withstand the cost of being rejected by society and in general it is difficult if not impossible to survive without societal structures if you live in a major city.

want a job? you're expected to be a certain way. want a gf? you're expected to be a certain way. want friends? you're expected to be a certain way.

you'll rarely find anyone with the self-esteem and self assurance along with the sheer spine to risk soul crushing alienation, loneliness and abject poverty.

subverting the currency is fun. but it has very real costs that few men have the balls to pay.

Because not all Socrates go mad

Even then what can you do? Even if you're strong enough to withstand it you're still just going to be another crazy homeless guy to the rest of the world. What can you hope to achieve?

Shitposters are basically the modern day Diogenes

>what are autistic NEETs memelords

Nobody would follow him now, Diogenes' way of life was impactful and resonated with the hearts of the people he preached to, even when they didn't adhere to it they could admire it.
Yes, his anecdote about telling Alexander to fuck off is funny, but the truth is he was very actively involved with his society and not a recluse like some people think. He tried to lead men to (what he thought was) virtue by example, he wasn't just an edgy ancient memelord.
There's no place for Diogenes in a deaf society.

>he wasn't just an edgy ancient memelord.

He totally was though at the same time

read 'classical cynicism' by navia, there were hordes of them. it was a populair subculture at some point, they were like greco-roman crusties.

Veeky Forums

I am 31 and still live with my mom. I am a modern day diogenes

Not true at all

Stop trying to feel good about being a complete failure

This. Also some philosophers like Searle still masturbate in front of other people so they are the best we've got.

he is close. the chinese trope of an old man on a mountain comes from chinese bureacrats that got fired for being too smart and hid in the mountains anonymously publishing tracts about dumb public officials

essentially shitposting

also don't forget that Veeky Forums clinched the election for trump

depends on your contribution and board

most of Veeky Forums is driven by b and pol

There are, it's just that nobody gives a fuck

>being this deluded

? both parts of the post are true

you have to remember that the Greeks lived in a very open sort of society

The modern world is not like that any more

Imagine witnessing this!

>Stop trying to feel good about being a complete failure

Yeah because living in a fucking bathtub is winning bigly

One of us...?

>this booty blasted when your new age hippy bullshit positive psychology pays dividends for cis-gendered white men like trump

Fucking Plato always messing with our boy Diogenes

you know he had to do it to 'em

who is this perfect angel and why is she having difficulty with her drink

You know nothing about Veeky Forums.

No one's stopping you from living in a jar and jacking off in public

Deviation from the norm was never revered though
P.S. you summed it up well

i´studyng sociology in a third world country, when my fathers die i will be like pic related desu

big woop

Your either misinterpreting Diogenes, or giving him too much credit.

This whole site is populated by nothing but Diogenes-es (whatever the plural of Diogenes is).

Socrates gone sincere, is what Plato should have said.

adorable

fantastic, bless his soul in Tartarus

You have to understand that if a man were to reenact some of Diogenes' most famous stunts, people would just think he is an insane homeless drunkard. There are plenty of Diogenes out there, but it's just not acceptable to idolize them currently.

This guy is so overrated by Veeky Forums

this.
What can be hoped to be achieved by doing this? If you're going to be an outcast, why not just move to New Zealand or something and be a farmer

looks like meats back on the menu, boiio

I really don't get this argument tho
Diogenes did what he did with a message
He didn't do it out of mental illness, he was living out his philosophy and leading by example.
This is worlds apart from someone who is forced into homelessness due to their gambling and drinking addiction

there are, you are just too trained on the superficial to see or care

>so misunderstood by Veeky Forums
yes, I agree with your assertion user, good point.

He was textbook retard, user. His contemporaries developed an elaborate mythos/ philosophy around him because they thought it was funny. He was revered by subsequent generations because they weren't in on the joke.

They're called homeless lunatics, user. Soup kitchens and psych wards are unironically full of profound truisms.

Diogenes was homeless and masturbated in public. Problem is we have millions of Diogeneses now.

Achieve? You still think like sheep. This is about humans for humans. It's not about achieving a goal like nirvana or revolution, it's about having a fulfilling life.

anarchist banker - Fernando pessoa

i agree with you but to some people fulfillement comes with or necessitates achievements of some sort

just like some jews. those people are the true free spirits

They just don’t make barrels like they used to

Fulfilling life doing what? You are completely dependent on the state for basically everything unless you're a survivalist. Anything else will make you homeless or in prison.

>They just don’t make barrels like they used to

I know right?

looks cosy as fuck

shame about the speech impediment

repeating the old shock lessons of cynics is not necessary. we need new shit but i am not sure what. not sure if following their way of life is needed too, something is missing ... there are crusty punks, beach bums, neet who go live in tents, outdoors and survival shit is gaining in popularity, self sufficiency , becoming fit and athletic to be anti fragile, letting go of status symbols and even expensive "experiences"... but something is amiss... shittalkiers extraordinaires like the bant on Veeky Forums or cum town is an ingredient that is needed too , luddites, anacho primitivists, weirdo death cultists... they are missing the boat on something fundamental, it'S not it. the proper recipe for a popular renewal of that school of philosophy is not out there yet i think, maybe we need more economic stress , we need to get more solid bodies too: that would help. like have the proper microbiome to actually dumpster dive without getting aids2, stay out in the cold at -40 with no problem etc

>diogenes?
You mean /pol/?

-> Veeky Forums
Also, technically, RIck from Reich unt Mortix

cynics didnt give a fuck about politics so no

>thinking that /pol/ actually discusses politics
I see you aren't a regular over there

>calling yourself cosmopolitans
>mocking authority, hierarchy, tradition and customs whenever you can because fuck borders, racism and sexism
>freeganism
>proudly unwashed, proudly homeless as a lifestyle choice rather than circumstance
>talk about freedom and independence while living from handouts from upstanding citizens

basically antifa crusties

No

I never mentioned unity of all humankind. I called them crusties, not hippies.

The absolute madman.

I'm sure there are plenty.

Like Diogenes or any proper shitposter would even care halfway enough to be manipulated by someone elses imposition of being called 'a failure', it's just a meme perpetuated by dissatisfied compromising servile peasants, real shitposters don't give a shit what you think about anyone's perceptions of them.

to be fair, wagies calling others failures makes me giigle

Shit posters are only motivated and validated by attention. Diogenes flashed his pickle in public for whatever the ancient Greek equivalent of (You)s was.

no he did it as a protest against Cynical institutions and power, read Critique of Cynical Reason and stop being a simpleton

>taking some fat kraut seriuse

>Who is UG Krishnamurti

I'm going to use this whenever fashists start talking about civilization on Africa or Tasmanian aboriginals get mention.

*Why aren't there more Diogenes?

What are you, an animal?