This is Terry Prachett, author of the multi-protagonist, humorous Discworld series. Say something nice about him!

This is Terry Prachett, author of the multi-protagonist, humorous Discworld series. Say something nice about him!

I've never read anything by him - largely because I don't know where in the series is the best point to start from. I always get different opinions from different people.

Read his every book. Dont remember a thing. They were all bland desu.

He's comfy af.

He's probably smarter and more well-adjusted than most of his fans.

"Nation" was pretty good, I feel.

Nice hat, I guess.

why did you read them all then

i like Deaths puzzled compassion for humans in his books, it's very comforting

I was an autistic teen and had nothing to do with my time.

Took me until unseen academicals to realise I didnt like him.

I guess you haven't got much smarter since.

I was too smart in the first place.

He's british

Red like 40 of his discworld novels in 6 months when I was 15. Never opened one single book of him again, but shit was funny. It's been 6 years already.

looks like you remember some of it

i miss him

Invented Bane posting

Died with one final fuck you to his readers.

Same here user. I think it was like the third witches book when I realized I was wasting my time.

I still think the first one is a decent parody, and that the second is close to being a solid fantasy. But beyond that.. I
Reaper Man wasn't bad tho.

I just don't understand how anyone can unironically claim someone releasing a book every year or every too years is a good writer. Good books took decades to write.

moron

>every too years

That's nothing. Danielle Steel released like seven in 2017 alone.

Night watch is a great book. Same with thief of time.

I love the Sam Vimes character

Citation needed dummy

I avoided his books for the longest time because of how ugly the covers were.

At the beginning of any of the subplots ideally. It doesn't matter with which one. I enjoyed the guards series the most

Yeah fuck bardolotry.

That woman is still writing?
My grandmother loves her work.

Never again will the Fall come and bring with it a new release. It took several books for Discworld to become an environment, and a few more after that for its characters to evolve into something resembling family. As novels,each individual can only hold the narrative spotlight for so long,but I appreciated the little gossipy asides about them in later books(Carrot and Angus shacking up? About bloody time!). Few series of books ever made me care enough about their supporting cast to make me wonder how they're getting on. And none have so profoundly disturbed me like the Death of Granny Weatherwax too. It was his last published book,and dedicated to her,since Terry was slipping fast and I suppose her practicality inspired him to Get In With It. Still,there are a lot of stories I will never see ,and old friends lost to the mists of time. But I am thankful for every word he made,and struggling to cope with his decision to have the hard drive with his works in progress crushed by a steamroller(A real fact!). I will miss him,and let the fallen leaves cover up that very particular void in my life.

Better than ringworld. Larry Niven was a hack fraud

i wanted to see carrots and anguas puppies

He was very productive.

I liked Pratchett when I was a teenager. Back then, reading a story about the socioeconomic struggles of goblins in an industrializing world seemed like spicy satire, it gave me a nice feeling of bantz in British humor like Monty Python or something.

So I recently checked out Raising Steam from the library (which, admittedly, was 2013 post-Alzheimers and possibly ghost-written), and it's just awful. Every sentence is some shitty pun or subverted fantasy trope. I'm halfway into the book and it's a slog. At some point you read the 100th "witty" turn of phrase about dwarfs being raging manlets and think "Hold on, I'm a grown ass man reading about how fantasy dwarfs dig treacle tarts from a dessert mine?" It's really crass garbage to the degree that you can't even rationalize it as cheap entertainment, even popcorn movies aren't this bad. Pratchett is everything stale about glorified eh, not so much "nerd culture" but specifically speculative fiction culture. I just imagine low IQ dweebs wasting their time with this crap when they could be learning maths or something. It's gross candy filled with high fructose corn syrup and malodorous sci-fi convention sweat.

he's dead, and he's not Douglas Adams

> say something nice about Douglas Adams

he's dead.

>. Good books took decades to write.

good books take most writers decades to write.

Terry Pratchett was a good writer.

btw, for your information, Michael Moorcock wrote "The Knight of the Swords" in about three days, and it's better than most fantasyshit.

The process doesn't matter, the product does. If a guy can write the novel of the century in 2 weeks, so be it. Life is not about formulas.

I'm not going to say Pratchett was some amazing author though. I'm just saying these retarded maxims about How Things Must Be Done are useless, either a thing is good or it isn't, you can study the process at your leisure. Thinking a Great Novel must be written over a decade of pondering smacks of debutante who couldn't jot off a competent paragraph to save his life.