Writes a book titled 'Orthodoxy'

>writes a book titled 'Orthodoxy'
>it's about Catholicism
what did he mean by this

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1301201h.html)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Slavshits BTFO

"The book was written when Chesterton was an Anglican. He converted to Catholicism 14 years later. The title, Orthodoxy, is meant to avoid such sectarian questions." -Back cover of Orthodoxy

Hope I could help user

>writes a post about a book written by an Anglo-Latin
>calls it 'Catholic'
what did he mean by this

The Eastern Orthodox Church doesn't have a copyright on the term "orthodoxy".
Chesterton was advocating religious orthodoxy and lauded the Catholic tradition. Not a mystery.

>"""ortho"""-doxy

tfw

Something about Chesterton always annoyed me. I always got a sense of smug self-righteousness that you get with some Roman Catholics. Especially the Anglo ones.

It's not just you, he has that effect on everyone not a self-satistfied tradcath.

Chesterton is well loved beyond those circles.

From Ancient Greek ὀρθοδοξία (orthodoxía), from ὀρθός (orthós, “correct”) + δόξα (dóxa, “way, opinion”).
orthodoxy (plural orthodoxies)

1. Correctness in doctrine and belief.
2. Conformity to established and accepted beliefs (usually of religions).

Nah, he's a conceited fatass.

Yes, we understand that you don't like him. That doesn't mean he's widely reviled.

>implying there's a correct way to get to any destination
Fucking catholics.

Chesterton is the definition of a light weight. What are his main contributions? Religious propoganda and detective stories.

He's an influential writer who is often quoted as a turning point in the lives of various authors, Gene Wolfe is one of them and is pretty popular here. Borges also saw him as a major influence. In philosophy Gilson and Fulton Sheen mentioned him often. So he does have significant contributions.

>Chesterton is the definition of a light weight
lol

I don't think Chesterton was ever an Anglican...

A simple Google search can solve this issue for you

He was. Atheist>Anglican>Catholic

His poetry is pretty good

Baptised Anglican
>I was... baptised according to the formularies of the Church of England
Unitarian/Universalist
>I was brought up among people who were Unitarians and Universalists... I had learnt since childhood under the glamorous mysticism of George Macdonald... Its Universalism was a sort of optimistic Calvinism... that was my first faith
Never atheist
>While dull atheists came and explained to me that there was nothing but matter, I listened with a sort of calm horror of detachment... I have always felt that there was something thin and third-rate about materialists and materialism ever since.
Occult/almost-Satanism
>I am not proud of knowing the Devil. I made his acquaintance by my own fault; and followed it up along lines which, had they been followed further, might have led me to devil-worship or the devil knows what... I blundered into rather queer and uncomfortable corners of Spiritualism...
>Anglican
>Roman Catholic

Where's the Devil quote from? Never knew that side of him...

Chesterton obviously isn't a rigorous theologian or philospher, but I don't think he's trying to be. has a good insight. He's a great poet, storyteller, and biographer. He doesn't make philosophic sense so much as he makes poetic sense, if you take my meaning.

Wow, buddy, who wrapped your muumuu too tight?

His autobiography, Part IV: How to Be a Lunatic.
(gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1301201h.html)

>What are his main contributions? Religious propoganda and detective stories.
What are his main contributions? Religious propoganda and detective stories.

Which are great contributions. If only I could do both.

Or even one.

Catholics believe they're orthodox as in original and orthodox christians believe they're catholic as in universal.

*tips rosary* m'Virgin