Pretty sure sentences can do more than that

Pretty sure sentences can do more than that.

For example, they could build the setting.

Or does Kurt not think of that as a legitimate sentence?

sentences building the setting: would be revealing the character of the setting, and advancing the action (as the action cannot advance, without a setting, revealed, to advance the action in)

Obviously Kurt was a hack

he's just an sf writer, what do you expect?

>the character of the setting

What the fuck...

>would be revealing the character of the setting

Then sentences don't actually advance the action, they just reveal the character of the Plot

>and advancing the action (as the action cannot advance, without a setting, revealed, to advance the action in)

"The knife struck Jessica in the arm" says nothing of where the knife or Jessica are, but it advances the action.

He's giving advice on how to write well, not defining what a sentence is, ya dip

...eg if I'm teaching you to play football, and I say 'when you shoot you must kick the ball towards the goal', it would take a special kind of dip to reply 'technically I could also hoof it in the opposite direction tho'.

>sports analogy

Well this sentence does nothing of that.

It reveals your character of being a smug contrarian

its more like claiming that every time you pass to another player you must do it towards the goal desu

Are you an idiot?

Far from it

I am, yes. sorry to bother you and use up your valuable time.

That's fine, just don't do it again.

this is not me btw its someone pretending to be me and trying to make me look like a narcissist

That might be true for shorter novels and short stories, but certainly not for bigger works.

>but it advances the action
In an incomplete way, hence adding more details about Jessicas surroundings would improve aka. advance the action.

>In an incomplete way

Not for my purposes, my story doesn't require that you know where they are, so why would you force it? It'll only make the story worse.

le creative writing teacher hemingway trash core can buzz off

>hemingway
>trash core

I'm sorry?

t. aspiring writer whose ten-volume fantasy epic remains mysteriously unpublished despite garnering rave reviews from his mother

you heard me.

>le less is more
>le show don't tell

only plebs play it safe with entry level minimalism

stop bullying truckstopsenpai

You can be sure a writer is an absolute hack when he/she points out how anyone else should write.

> minimalist because you actually don’t have any idea of what to say
vs
> minimalist because you know what exists beyond the written text but you want the reader to find their own version

Second one = true master of the audience

>Reddit spacing
Fuck off back there now. Don't post again.

> can’t even respond to the opinion
> thinks Reddit isn’t the same as Veeky Forums
> mfw

I know this is bait but I hate you

this

Are you saying bigger works are only so because they have filler?

Who are:

>Melville
>Proust
>Joyce
>Dostoevsky

Vonnegut confirmed for pleb.

no, a longer work has more room to breathe.

if he's giving advice, then it's obviously meant for beginners, not titans of international literature. You're either being stupid of willfully obtuse. Bad writing is marked by ramblings and digressions which the authors are oblivious to. You know it's true. Why are you acting like it isn't true? Yes, you have correctly identified several authors who write far above entry-level writers. Gold star for you, Timmy.

It's shit advice. If you could become a good writer with this kind of reductionism no one would care about writers.

Believe me, for most beginner writers it's the ideal advice that they almost never follow because of sheer narcissism, but if they did they would actually become tolerable to read. After they become tolerable to read they can develop further, but strict rules and not emphasizing your individualism is the first step in learning how to write.

>willfully obtuse

Are you the "Intellectually Dishonest" fag?

i hate these kind of stupid writing advice quotes from middle tier shits

>"The knife struck Jessica in the arm" says nothing of where the knife or Jessica are, but it advances the action.
I could argue that simply identifying a knife is insider Jessica is advancing the setting because all fiction is a hypothetical Universe of God's emporium where all is the setting, but it doesn't even matter because Kurt's quote is shitty sophistry at best.

>shoot him. He's the robot
God I love anonymity.

>all fiction is a hypothetical Universe of God's emporium where all is the setting

Yeah, if you're a hack. Drop the bible and go read something not in english, feddo.

Just kidding, it was me, and you are all idiots for buying it.

I'm using God as an allegory in that sentence to try saying that everything matters in a story.
I was trying to subtly reference the philosophy that argues a universe where all matter and energy is moved to the right one mile is a different Universe.

Oh, so you ARE a hack

Why is there a bird’s nest on top of those books

It represents nurturing, safety, and early life, the state of writers the quote is intended for

Why?

this desu.