Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

storiesonline.net/s/16402/abandoned-with-the-enemy
storiesonline.net/s/74251:143781/flight-of-the-code-monkey-chapter-1
storiesonline.net/s/14679:182473/three-square-meals-chapter-1
ucs.louisiana.edu/~jjl5766/share/Arena.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Martin Padway

Do you think catching a glimpse of a girls safe hand is exhilarating as upskirting in highschool was?

Third for webnovels are novels too

Dragon'sCrown was a bretty good game.
That being said
no

I have read this book. It's very nice!

Also, do you know some good sci fi book (maybe standalone) with spacial explorations and/or thecolonizations of the planets? I know only the Mars Trilogy.

Is Shadows of the Empire good?
I wanna read some Star Wars after that shitty film but I don't feel like diving into Thrawn right now.

I had more fun reading these than any other recent fantasy series.

What's an X Like You Doing in a Y Like This

Examples in literature:
>Inverted in the Robert A. Heinlein novel The Number of the Beast, when a dissection of a dead female alien who had been posing as a male human leads to the discovery that her legs each had two knees, one bending forward and one bending backwards. Cue the quip, "What's a nice joint like you doing in a girl like this?"

Finally finished all these books. I liked them, but I felt the story relied too much on coincidences to advance. Half the time, I felt things were just happening for no reason other than to advance the story. Especially near the end. Is this a common criticism or am I crazy?

People say that fairly often and its basocally true.

That’s because you were jerking it to dryad sex scenes

Well now I'm interested in those books.

If you've ever wanted to read a giant robot anime, have I got the book for you.

These covers are so fucking shitty a 50 dollars comission of something generic would've been better.

There are too many goddamn Dryads by the second book. His first wife is still the best. I have a fetish for female Orcs.

Has anyone read Tanith Lees: Tales From The Flat Earth series or Becky Chambers: The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet?

If so what did you think?

Gonna need some fucking source on this pic

Nothing is a coincidence in these books. Everything that happens, happens for a very specific reason. What parts do you feel are a coincidence? My guess is that you missed out on what's really happening within the narrative. If you're willing to, you should re-read it.

A shame we don’t get more of her. All that we got of her in the second book was that scene with Mouth. Good, but more is required.

Isn't that just because it's a litrpg/literotica harem anime?

Why is fantasy cover art so fucking bad? lmfao

>fantasy cover art
>bad

>That art
>Good

You have some high tolerance user. Do you also read those romance novels with a half naked dude on them?

Lets see you post something good then

guys, can you suggest me some books of certaint topic?
the keyword here is "stranded".
let me explain. throw a guy into a hostile enviroment, see him struggle, and adapt.
bonus points for some kind of relationship involved there.
P.E: storiesonline.net/s/16402/abandoned-with-the-enemy
Other topic that pike my interest is the life inside an spaceship,bonus points if starting from stcratch .
P.E: storiesonline.net/s/74251:143781/flight-of-the-code-monkey-chapter-1 / storiesonline.net/s/14679:182473/three-square-meals-chapter-1

Science Fiction art beats Fantasy art every day of the week.

>anime
I guess it makes sense that this thread would attract pedos

ucs.louisiana.edu/~jjl5766/share/Arena.pdf

>paying to see a shitty disney movie

every title from ada's wild ride so far have been gorgeous

>all
Did you read The Urth of the New Sun too?

What does your fantasy bookshelf look like /sffg/?

Paperbacks stacked sideways the height of shelf and 3 rows deep. Hardbacks and oddments crammed into leftover space one one side.

a folder on my computer

Like this

Any recommendations for hard scifi horror?

I recently read At The Mountains of Madness and it was fucking great.

You got some nice books, which one is your favorite?

Watching the thing be shit and fans in denial struggle to defend it is high entertainment

An absolute fucking mess with not only rows of books, but also rows behind them and books resting on top of other books and comics in a tight cabinet. I have no open bookshelves and no other space in my room.

Probably Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Clarke has a sensibility about magic that's pretty unusual, more wild and dreamlike than systematic. The Last Days of New Paris is nice too, just wish it was a bit longer.

Blindsight, but it's a strange breed of horror.

He's just got one chick copy-pasted over and over. Harem grade: C.

muh VAMPIRES IN SPACE
spoilers: aliens are ALSO VAMPIRES

blindsight has vampires, the sequel has zombies. if you can't hack the hard-scifi redemption of shitty fantasy ideas, then maybe you should tell our good friend about some better hard horror

why would anyone read "horror"
If you want to see sci-fi horror just go look at the demographical history of any major western city

right well you've just proved you're an idiot so thanks for saving me the trouble

>giving a company money because you dislike their product

Man I always try to enjoy film and don't over thinking the pandering nerd blockbuster Im about to watch, but with the last star wars I have to make some effort to start shiting on the film like an autistic. I'm not even a fan so that muh legacie is not for me, but as a plain scify movie is dumb as hell and mediocre.

This is maybe the most cliché response you are gonna get but read or reread dune. I just did it and it take away the bad taste of the film

I'm still trying to understand how they're gonna deal with the hyperdrive artillery thing retroactively, because it makes every other space battle seem retarded now.

>read or reread dune. I just did it and it take away the bad taste of the film
Yeah I've actually been considering this for ages, maybe I should get around to it. Thanks for the idea, user.

Is Martian Time-Slip good?

Of the ten PKD novel's I've read Martian Time Slip is one of the better, equaling Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep in my estimation. But it depends on your tastes. My least favourite was Valis, This isn't even mentioning the short stories which were arguably his best medium, so any reader should have a collected volume of them.

So I've read a few Discworld books over the years and I liked the watch ones the best, so I've read all of the books staring it. But now I'm reading some of the others and I've noticed they reference each other and there's foreshadowing an such. Still, is it a better idea to read by series or by order?

I didn't like it as much as the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch or Ubik but it's certainly as good as DADOES.

If you want, It's not mandatory. Like you I preferred the stories with Vimes and the rest of the Watch and as such mostly stuck towards all the stories where they were the main focus. There will be some references here and there in some of the other stories but nothing overly significant.

Yes, I know there's nothing as significant as that, even the books of a single series can be read out of order without any major confusion. What I was asking is if the references on average are wide enough for the satisfaction of seeing them to override the satisfaction of binging a series.

On one hand, there's following the same characters across books with their adventures fresh in your mind, on the other there's seeing foreshadowing for the next Discworld book and the reverberating ripples from the events of the previous one.

I prefer the finnish art.

Guys, I'm about 80% through the Shadow of the Torturer, is stuff going to start happening anytime soon? I sure do love googling these obscure words, but I would also love to have some plot and characters to show up.

Any scifi like Black Mirror but actually good? That fucking show gets exponentially dumber the more you think about it. Yes I read Blindsight and dropped Echopraxia.

I NEEED MORE GOOD SCI FI

What episodes did you like?

Alright Veeky Forums, what is THE font when reading /sffg/?

WHY IS IT TAKING SO FUCKING LONG FOR ADA PALMER'S FUCKING BOOK TO FUCKING DROP

>fat childless over educated liberal woman

why

I'm working on my first full novel, which will be my third book.

It's a Labyrinth/Neverending Story style book, featuring a 14 year old boy entering a magical world.

I wrote the whole thing, then scrapped it, and decided to start over with an outline. I keep going back and editing the outline. I want it to feel like it has a pacing of a thriller, so I keep tightening the outline from point to point, and while I think it makes it better, it's slowing me down.

What are some important things you need in a fantasy story to hold your interest, or things you get excited about?

Here's some things it does have

- A fully realized world, with warring factions and politics with a rich history
- Things done in the fantasy world have real-world consequences
- An original magic system that it isn't the main focus
- A murder mystery plot that is the impetus for the story

chasing bullies down alleyways on luck dragons

you need a nonsensical sport or some sort of thing people compete in.
also love interest with a romance subplot.

So you're writing a thriller isekai?

My advice is to read thirty thriller novels and break down the plots afterwards.
As a genre its pretty much solved at this point.

Basically.

I want the characters to move swiftly between different cities in the magical world, and meet with their leaders, to uncover who did it.

But the politics, history, and specific desires and motives, causes conflict that forces them to flee each time, building a small party as they go with creatures from each faction.

So it's like, escape to magical land to find who killed his sister. Then, meet with each leader in each city, and each one wants him for some nefarious reason, and he's forced to bounce from location to location until he finally decides it must be the big bad who's recused himself from the rest of the world, and has been living as a hermit locked away in his castle.

In order to cover all that ground, I need it to move quickly. Obviously, I'm worried about having little breathing room for the characters.

When writing fantasy, at what point do I put the breaks on realism? The fa/tg/uys like their worldbuilding but it seems like it quickly devolves into pseudo-productive procrastination after a while.
So far the answer I've come up with is "when it gets in the way."

That sounds like a very convulted story line considering the amount of distance they have to travel.

That's why it needs to be paced like a thriller, they need to be motivated to move quickly from place to place. There's not time to rest for second breakfasts, and they're constantly moving.

>women r 4 breeding

pol pls

I've never written a story before, but I've recently taken an interest at the prospect.

How do I even begin? All I see is a blank word document and the second I try to type anything, after about a paragraph I want to vomit and give up.

I guess.

This sounds more like the DaVinci code with magic though.

Make a map. Figure out the kind of story you want to write and where you want it to end. Find the big beats and then improvise within those margins.
Don't try to edit on the fly: you can only fix words that are actually on the page.
Most importantly: read and read copiously. Good writing isn't about what you think you know about writing, it's what you can pick up from the best and incorporate into YOUR best. Hegelian Dialectics.

This is probably going to sound stupid but how does one even begin making a map?

I wouldn't start there.

I would start with a character. And write a bio, and what they want. What traumas have that they need to overcome. Then do it again, and again.

Then start thinking about how those characters could have an adventure together.

Then think of places where they could do it, and then if you want, you can draw a map.

The most important thing is characters.

Take a screen shot of a continent and then fuck with it for taste.

There's a book called writing for dummies that goes over the snowflake method, it's a helpful place to start if you're dedicated to learning.

Also remember that fantasy and sci-fi aren't really genres, they're settings for things like adventures or horror to occur in.

Wait, are we talking about a literal map? Like geography, towns, landmarks and the such?

Thanks for the tips guys. I've copied them down, I'll look into it right away

By "make a map" i more meant an outline, or something approaching an outline. The next sentence elaborates what I meant by that.

Okay, I thought so, but I just wanted to make sure.

I'm really really new to all this.

You're gonna fuck up and you're gonna fuck up a lot. Don't run from it.
Fail faster.

>featuring a 14 year old boy entering a magical world.
My interest died right there. Good luck with your isekai anime

bumping this question

How the fuck is your taste so generic pleb but then all of a sudden you have Terry Pratchett?

I'll answer it in 4 hours when I get home from work.

Appreciate it, any way I can return the favor?

Do you mean realism of the setting, as in how much magical bullshit should there be, or realism of lore, as in "if there is a spell which can create food from thin air how come people in the town are starving"?

The latter is more precise to my question. I find it's all too easy to slip into a rhythm of answering questions that aren't necessarily relevant to the narrative.
The other edge to that problem is that, in trying to avoid the rabbit hole of unending questions, it's also too easy to disregard questions that MUST be answered for the narrative to function.

>Warning: This novel contains adult themes and moral ambiguities. The main character is written as a real person in an apocalypse, and will not make choices that line up with society and cultural norms.
>Spoiler for the faint hearted if you read further than this:
>This story contains a harem.
What did they mean by this?

what are some fantasy books that are well-written (i.e. not harry potter young adult shit) that are are about comfy adventuring or travelling?

You should trust the reader to pick the right questions and accept conventions where they must. Don't aim to please the brainlets who nitpick ad infinitum to feel smarter. I feel like the higher of a concept you introduce, the more questioning and suspicion it raises, in other words avoid writing in things that feel like gimmicks, or desperation to be unique. Don't set up towns like videogame stages each with its own little culture and customs, don't create characters with obligatory quirks or bodily alterations

B-but magic must be fully explained otherwise the author has too much control over his story. It's almost 2018, I can't believe you don't know this yet.

>pedos watch anime
>those girls in the OP are 6, when they have cantaloupe size breast
Okay

Stick at it