A Phenomenological Study of Social Media: Boredom and Interest on Facebook, Reddit, and Veeky Forums

THOUGHTS?
dspace.library.uvic.ca:8443/bitstream/handle/1828/4045/Mitchell_Liam_PhD_2012.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

What a strangely discursive and bloggish tone.

339 page analysis of 3 internet shitposting cesspools.

It's 339 pages talking about philosophy and social media that references a bunch of people I don't care about, some famous people I do care about, and which claims to discuss boredom the entire time. You can't seriously expect people to read it.

I did read your introduction though, and I liked the way you come to your topic. I'm sure many people have done the exact same movement of searching "I am bored," which provides a nice segway to the topic at hand.

> not doing phd thesis in latex
> writing about social media for a pol sci degree
> saying "lulz" in a dissertation

If I was his thesis adviser I would unironically kill myself for having my name on that paper

kill yourself you faggot. you arent smart

Go to bed, Liam.

If you're not gonna read my work, don't reply to me. My guess is...you don't have a PhD?

>300 global rank
>#12 in canada
m8 I am laffin

It's sometimes amazing to read non-STEM PhD theses. When I perused through this thesis, I was shocked that this "work" is considered worthy of a graduate degree in a western university. Not only that, but he received a somewhat substantial taxpayer-funded grant (SSHRC).

The very soft social sciences are a racket. It basically exists to simply perpetuate itself; the students are unable to function outside of their field within the confines of academia.

every bureaucracy's first priority is regulatory capture, second is self perpetuation

Would you say the same thing about any humanities PhD? Also, there is a lot of "work" going on in the STEM fields too, let's be real.

I received my PhD at a university that is probably around the 150 or so global rank, but my supervisor is one of the most respected and politically-connected researchers in the field.

University prestige really isn't as important as who your supervisor is and what kind of network you build. When I would go to conferences as a PhD student, I told people who my supervisor was and what I worked on, not what school I went to. His name, resources, and network were a golden ticked for me.

Of course if you are in a very prestigious school it is likely your supervisor is a big name, but it isn't always guaranteed.

If you're not willing to engage my ideas, take a hike. I'm throwing myself into the culture, I expect a fair bit of diligence here.

pic

you don't understand shit nigger. you failed to grasp the entire mechanism behind Veeky Forums

you didn't "get into" the culture. you're a nigger. fuck off

Veeky Forums culture is egalitarian, self owned and all pervasive, my say goes, so do us all a favor and shut up.

This is very true; you concisely stated what I was struggling to articulate.

Of course the quality of a graduate thesis in STEM fields varies considerably. The metrics are essentially subjective and largely dependent on the supervisor and committee. I know of committees that were basically stacked with the supervisor's buddies, and the defenses consisted of soft pitches and coddling. But overall, STEM theses are more rigorous than humanities theses.

That said, I do understand the benefits of education outside of the STEM fields. I think it would be great to spend four years concentrating on one author or work, for example. But my approach would be far more rigorous thank the joker's thesis posted by OP. I think about the work I put into my thesis vs. that piece of shit and how it took that student 3-4+ years to churn out that garbage is mystifying.

the only thing thats owned is you. the philosophies in any modern orthodox academic fashion are dead, google nick land, look into moldbug, search kantbot. your paper is laughably bad.

ho long did you observe 4ch for?

>the philosophies in any modern orthodox academic fashion are dead, google nick land, look into moldbug, search kantbot.
What do you mean by this? That the presence of alternative philosophies or social media-tier philosophical dissemination negates that of the academic philosophies? What an absurd thought process.

i dont know

I like the idea at least. I'll try to read it or at least the major methodological parts tomorrow, in case the OP is actually the author. I'm researching similar things with Bourdieu so it's cool.

The basic idea of applying Heidegger's stuff on boredom to the micro-physics of "being online" is interesting. I really like this kind of thing (just skimming):
>With media aggregators, for instance, things are reduced to diversions differentiated only by the degree to which they pique our interest: the content of a headline matters less than the fact that it is a headline.
>I’m bored in a way that suggests that I’m not bored at all. The second form of boredom expands and expands, universalizing itself as the interesting.

If it's going where I think it's going then I agree with the thesis and it's one I've wanted to see written for a long time.

>I noted that all of these effects are magnified by repetition and habit, which means that the net makes the spread of the second form of boredom seem exceptionally well entrenched.

This is what I'd like to see more of.

But ultimately I'd like to see this plugged into a Marxian or post-Marxian analysis of technics most of all. A phenomenology of the subject's experience of (i.e., existential analytic of Dasein's experience of) technics is what's really missing from existing structural critiques of this sort of technology.

If you're really the author I hope you continue writing.

OP, your larping is doing the real author of this paper a disservice by misrepresenting him as an intellectually shallow attention whore.

>I'd really like to see this plugged into a Marxian or post-Marxian analysis of technics
Jesus Christ, I wish an actually interesting left-wing philosopher would come along so that these sycophants could move on from Marx

lurk moar newfag

>phenomenology is 'social science'

Not him, but nah, 'phenomenology' as exemplified by papers in such self-indulgent academic departments is far, far worse than 'social science'.

Sounds great tbqh, too bad I can't find the strenght to read 340 pages on my monitor.