What is the oldest literature you've read that you can still relate to?

What is the oldest literature you've read that you can still relate to?

Bonus if you include a text passage

metaphors never die

Before I answer.
How sharp is the sword, and how tired are you?

Ancient Roman descriptions of nature and war. I mean, it's just a dude describing how a bunch of guys got killed in a naval battle, or a town was on fire, or what a specific tree looks like. Pretty relateable, I can get into a tale about city sieges or how there might be dog people in Asia and the author seemed pretty into it.

Of course Roman antiquity saw some of the first of what could be called a "modern" textbook afaik so I guess that was the birth of "relatable literature".

a 3rd century tamil poem about wanting to fuck your cousin

Oldest i've read is greek and vedic philosophy. I think the older it is, the easier to relate to.

Here the only verse of the gītā i know by heart:

>prakriteh kriyamanani/gunaih karmani sarvaśah/ahankāra vimūdhātmā/kartāham iti manyate

All activities are made by the qualities of material nature. The soul, confused by the ego, thinks "i make this"

Inb4 Bible

The Epic of Gilgamesh because I was supposed to kill the king of Uruk too.

>Tell me about a complicated man.
YAAAAAS KWEEN SLAAAAAAAY

so fresh, so relatable

Why do you make these posts? Do you have to shit up every thread?

Athenian plays

in high school i was a loner

The Epic of Gilgamesh, but the oldest that affects me on a deeper level is the Iliad. From Fitzgerald's translation:
Very like leaves
upon this earth are the generations of men—
old leaves, cast on the ground by wind, young leaves
the greening forest bears when spring comes in.
So mortals pass; one generation flowers
even as another dies away.

eat a dick, a tranny one at that

GOAT. Nice quote user.

The Instructions of Shuruppak

Some roman graffiti that said pic related

I found the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius way more relatable than I had expected. Even had some laughs

WHAT has this Bugbear Death to frighten Man,
If Souls can die, as well as Bodies can?
For, as before our Birth we felt no Pain,
When Punique arms infested Land and Main,
When Heaven and Earth were in confusion hurl’d,
For the debated Empire of the World,
Which aw’d with dreadful expectation lay,
Sure to be Slaves, uncertain who shou’d sway:
So, when our mortal frame shall be disjoyn’d,
The lifeless Lump uncoupled from the mind,
From sense of grief and pain we shall be free;
We shall not feel, because we shall not Be.

the epic of gilgamesh. my best friend and i regularly head out into the wilds to fuck up giants.

ud-na-me dumu nam-tag nu-tuk ama-a-ni nu-tu-ud

(never a child without fault any mother has born)

Upanishads

The entire Mandukya Upanishad

Gilgamesh

The entire sequence where he and Enkidu lock arms and when they’re hunting the giant

Odyssey

The moment when he and Telemachus murder all the traitors

Bible, OT

whole book of Daniel

Zhuanzi

The story of the master thief and his principles

Soc

When he mocks his whole city

Upanishads, I’ve read them 15 times this week. They have all you didn’t know you needed.
The knowing (Self) is not born, it dies not; it sprang from nothing, nothing sprang from it. The Ancient is unborn, eternal, everlasting; he is not killed, though the body is killed. If the killer thinks that he kills, if the killed thinks that he is killed, they do not understand; for this one does not kill, nor is that one killed. The Self smaller than small, greater than great, is hidden in the heart of that creature. A man who is free from desires and free from grief, sees the majesty of the Self by the grace of the Creator. Though sitting still, he walks far; though lying down, he goes everywhere Who, save myself, is able to know that God who rejoices and rejoices not? The wise who knows the Self as bodiless within the bodies, as unchanging among changing things, as great and omnipresent, does never grieve. That Self cannot be gained by the Veda, nor by understanding, nor by much learning. He whom the Self chooses, by him the Self can be gained. The Self chooses him (his body) as his own.'

The epic of Gilgamesh because I am epic too.

>Neither the hosts of demigods nor the great sages know My origin or opulences, for, in every respect, I am the source of the demigods and sages..
Dunno about 'relating' to it but every translation of the Gita I've read makes me deeply emotional by chapter ten.

Probably Harry Potter because they still have cars and stuff.