Pre-Christian works of philosophy

I know Plato, Aristotle, and Plotinus all came to conclusions that were very similar to Christianity. I also know that many early Christians were ex-stoics who found similarity between their new faith and their old philosophy. Can anyone give a guide to pre-Christian, especially Greek and Roman, philosophy that influenced early Christianty? Don't just say "the Greeks"

>HBO's Rome

I know, I didn't make the chart

U mind posting the full guide? Startes reading the greeks about a week ago and looking to continue

The Nag Hammadi scriptures will serve you well, or have you already looked at these? i am curious what conclusions you find similar in Plotinus and Plato?

Christianity as you're talking about it came out of Egypt into Greece likely through Pythagoras, or the magi who taught Pythagoras. Unfortunately we only have fragments and his exoteric work. You can look into Tetrabiblios by Ptolemy to get an idea of what we're working with, but he's more of the details, what the planets mean and this sort of thing...you could probably also read Lucretius De Rerum Natura to get an idea of the Roman's relationship to the nature of things..

Can't really help but am also interested and an avid reader of the early Greek and roman philosophy, so have a bump.

>fake madeup stuff
>more fake madeup stuff
>pythagoras was a christian
>christianity which is a greek religion which mirrors chaldean and babylonian religion and is a mix of judaism and greek/asian religions came from egypt
>more made up stuff
i wonder where you got all this from
>also Plotinus was a christian
>all these guys were christians because i want them to be
>the Nag Hammadi scriptures which are all heretical are christian
we need a total purge

Read the first volume of Coplestone's A History of Philosophy for Greco-Roman philosophy.

Then read the second to see how it all goes into Christianity and Medieval philosophy, as in Patristics and Scholasticism.

neoplatonism also comes to conclusions close to Christianity. read proclus, then dionysus the areopagite, then meister eckhart

no it doesn’t at all, christfaggot

Come and get us, bitch.

you’re all dying slowly from premature aging and carcinogens in your food and water. stressing you out by pointing out that you’re lying, psychotic and pathetic is all that need be done. i do hope that hunter-killer swarms of sapient nanobots purge all the insect people tho

I'm mostly interested in the philosophy - is it cool if i just read vigil and then from there jump to cicero or will i miss something important in relation to philosophy?

Why does that chart purposely cut off Gibbons?

not that user, but you are retarded

Because Gibbons is too awful for even a chart like that.

>I know Plato, Aristotle, and Plotinus all came to conclusions that were very similar to Christianity.
You got that exactly backwards.

Nag Hammadi writings are 2nd to 4th century, not pre-Christian

Aight, but the question still stands backwards. Christianity came to similar conclusions as Plato, Aristotle, and Plotinus. What other pre-Christian philosophers and specific works influenced the development of early Christianity?

How does that answer the question? Is that a book about pre-Christian philosophers who influenced Christianity? Does that author list pre-Christian philosophers who influenced Christianity? Is Pierre Hadot a pre-Christian philosopher who influenced Christianity? How does posting that book cover answer the question? Participate in the discussion or don't

In what sense? Is his info that much outdated?

Oops, I meant to quote you