What's like 'Dubliners' but not depressing as fuck ?

What's like 'Dubliners' but not depressing as fuck ?

>mfw that story about a guy who just gets humiliated all the time and then goes home drunk to beat up his kid
what the heck

i thought araby was pretty cute

Welcome to Dublin

>that guy that jerks off to little girls and then tells some kid how badly he wants to beat little boys

It reminded me of all the times girls gave me clear openings and i fucked it up.

>10427588

>What innumerable follies laid waste my waking and sleeping thoughts after that evening! I wished to annihilate the tedious intervening days. I chafed against the work of school. At night in my bedroom and by day in the classroom her image came between me and the page I strove to read.

teenage love. the nostalgia..

>mfw screaming into a baby's face because I'm just now realizing my total aesthetic incompetence
>mfw this stupid little infant SHIT ruined my life's ambition with its mere existence and it is too STUPID and TINY to even realize the repercussions it's having
>mfw I am a timid and weak Irish failure who lashes out at those who are smaller than me because I hate my life and my self
>mfw I will never be a great or even a good writer

that's not nora

Araby is about the adolescent naiveness that leads to confusion and regret and a deep distrust of the self. I would call it cute but only insofar as it's cuteness is completely overshadowed by the pain of youth. Every part of the story really captures my experience as a teenager so well, especially the characterization of his parents who seem to be so separate from what the main character is experiencing.

That was my favorite story next to araby. How quickly he becomes influenced by unrealistic hope and how quickly he falls.

but she farts like her. and that's enough

Ulysses

don't forget that the kid grows up to do the same thing (if you look carefully enough)

Winesburg ohio

Pushkin's Tales of Bielkin

Updike's short stories

(Instead of Joyce trying to make it as profound and sad as possible, Updike does more happy and some would say not as profound stories, but still beautifully written)

cute... that was so depressing when he pretended to be interested in buying that thing at the market but was faking so as not to be awkward but was even moreso....

Idk Updike is pretty depressing (albeit not always intentionally)

she's cute

tfw your name isn't Veeky Forums enough

Does anyone here unironically like Dubliners?