Do you ever drink booze while reading or writing?

Do you ever drink booze while reading or writing?
Any other drugs?
How do you think it affects your reading or writing?

Other urls found in this thread:

tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/s15326934crj1103_5
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28705663
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4336648/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Only retarded Bukowski reading pseuds think drink can help performance in any way

I mean, I wasn't necessarily implying or asking if it helped, I was just asking if people did it and how they felt about their performance compared to being sober.

Fag

No, because I'm redpilled. Never drank in my life and never plan to.

I only read inebriated, usually opiods or Kava

read books sober, read chanposts drunk

I drink for both. As long as you're not sloshed a little bit of a buzz can loosen up the brain case, and for some types of writing or reading that's useful. Something like Bataille's Blue of Noon becomes basically a nightmare if you drink along with the protagonist.

What do you drink?

I mainline AlphaBrain into my jugular, then I pound out about 6 or 7 books in an hour.

Not even beer?

Loser

Cheap Chinese beer most nights, Sailor Jerry's rum when I can find it.

Yes I enjoy a nice gin cocktail as I read. Once I realize I'm getting too drunk I jerk off and go to bed

Varg says even beer is degenerate

Just like in my (flaming shit of a) social life, alcohol has helped me compensate for my irrational fear of appearing/reading myself as inadequate. Unfortunately, alcohol is a horrible drug, it destroys people and ruins your day to day operation. The "degenerate" meme is not entirely unfounded. For people like me, who live in their own heads and are unable to compose in a healthy way, sure alcohol will increase productivity at some kind of cost. Of course, the fact is that it's just covering up the underlying problems, sneakily becoming a crutch and ruining internal organs in the meantime.

I don't fault people who are alcohol (or drugs or anything) haters because there are a ton of writers who compose word salad while intoxicated and style themselves like some kind of cool Fitzgerald type. You have to have some kind of baseline talent or a sound literary idea before you get bombed and decide to write stream of thought about rubbing your prick in the woods (cough*badFaulkner*cough). Ultimately, my opinion is that all great writing is honest and if alcohol (or whatever) is the ONLY means for a writer to write honestly, who am I to judge? The "degen" memesters are right though, you shouldn't just be getting shot in the ass for "muh litterachur", it's lazy and awful.

i love booze and i love books but i don't comprehend how anyone can combine the two. i read for reading's sake and then i drink for drinking's sake.

You fairies cannot call yourselves writers if you have never written until 6 in the morning drunk on absinthe and chain smoking yourself into illness.

I mostly agree with this. I'm perfectly capable of enjoying a few beers or bottle of wine spread over an evening while I read or write, but I can't focus enough to do either while properly drunk.

DUDEWEEDLMAO makes me both too lazy to do structured work, and think things are more profound than they really are, so I can absolutely create reams of notes, ideas, and random thoughts while high, and then when sober end up using few if any of them. Reading while high can be highly entertaining but not much information will be retained. For example, reading about half a page of a novel before getting stuck trying to decide whether I should read different characters in different voices, then how should they sound if I did, then deciding I shouldn't but now I'm stuck doing it anyway whether I want to or not, then realize I'm reading at a crawl because the different voices and accents (in my inner monologue) take so much time to focus on, then realize it's been two hours and I've read less than five pages and I'm starving, then forget I was reading by the time I've finished getting something to eat, and so on.

LSD, I couldn't imagine reading or writing during the trip, but it can provide tons of creative fuel as you reflect on it for days or weeks after.

Most other drugs I've tried just make me too sloppy to focus on reading or writing, so are not worth considering.

>Meme sais so!
Alcohol is a friend of humanity. Can you abandon a friend?

I don't drink anymore but I never used to read when drinking because it sucks to read a chunk of a book then not remember anything you read.

I'll have a beer or pack a lip when I'm doing homework (College YA), but not when I'm reading or writing.

>it sucks to read a chunk of a book then not remember anything you read.
yep, used to read drunk before going to sleep. I'd often forget what I read and have to start over. I also remember reading with one eye closed to avoid double vision. Really shit times. I'm much happier now I don't get drunk.

i take CBD’s and THC religiously when writing.

I like Bukowski but this is true for anything beyond 2 drinks. Sometimes a single glass of wine can put me in a much more relaxed mood and can read a tad faster and with more clarity.

I think it depends on your personality too. Neurotic types will benefit more from drinking.

stimulants to write. there's an old tale about stephen king writing misery or something on a three day coke binge. completely understandable sometimes i take vyvanse and end up writing up to 100 pages.

and everything that comes out during that is shit

stimulants make you do shit but sort of suppress your imagination. I don't recommend using them unless you're aiming for a very particular amped-up feel to the prose.

coke makes mediocre look wonderful

>he doesn't capitalize on the rebound stimulating effect that occurs at t+2 hours after ingesting a single drink in the late afternoon

>listening to a man who unironically called himself Count Grishnachk, unironically played black metal, the most cringy faggot edgelord music known to man, and burned down immensely beautiful and culturally significant stave churches in his own fatherland because of his faggot edgelord beliefs

Jesus fucking Christ user.

>Varg says
Holy fucking shit

first post worst post. lowered inhibitions and impaired judgment is exactly what the doctor ordered to get words on the page.

Drinking liquor affects my writing. I get more focused, dialogue comes easier. I'm probably autistic though and need the depressant.

Sauce me on that Mabel.
Also would Mabel read Gravity's Rainbow?

kek'd

I can't remember the sauce so I'm just gonna take the ban.
And she probably would to come off as a patrician

Anything beyond four beers is too much for me. At that point my concentration declines and I get a lot angrier

2 drinks is the sweet spot desu

Stop not making arguments

>first post worst post. lowered inhibitions and impaired judgment is exactly what the doctor ordered to get words on the page.

Yeah dogshit words that should never have been there in the first place

>Write drunk, edit sober

tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/s15326934crj1103_5
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28705663
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4336648/

In moderation, 2-4 Units of alcohol can increase convergent thinking (remote associations) which is a subset of the creative process, weed does not increase divergent or convergent thinking to new users, and decreases both for regular users.

Used to drink a water glass of vodka upon awaking to ward of the shakes but I’m a good boy now.

jesus christ my man how did you survive it

Trite platitude

You are supposed to edit it when sober.

Tapering

Like this dude, I sometimes use weed to generate creativity. I write a fuckload of notes (always in all caps because when you're high, every single thought is a revelation that deserves emphasis).

From there I decide while sober which ideas, if any, are of value to me. Sometimes none are and sometimes a lot are.

I've noticed that smoking every night diminishes this effect, so I try to save it for when I'm running into a wall that my sober mind can't pull myself out of. Usually high me at least touches on the right idea, so sober me can move forward.

I enjoy a nice cognac, or Irish Mist, while relaxing and reading. I also enjoy a nice cup of tea or coffee, too. It depends on the mood. I can't maintain focus on a book if I've done some weed, so I don't do that.and read. Micro-doses of LSD-25 provide an intense concentration and focus when doing technical reading or writing. Opiates/depressants zonk me out, can't concentrate, good for music tho. Don't like speed or coke.

I'll write poetry when I'm stoned because I have Synesthesia and weed enhances the affects.

Here's one of my favorites.

"The bright light is the forever rind of the orange Sun"

no u

>Drinking alcohol and reading
Like what are you, fifty?

I used to write Katawa Shoujo fanfics like 7 years ago while stoned off my skull.

They're so damn cringy to read.

My writing makes me drink, not the other way around

when I was younger and edgier I did, but nothing good ever came out of it

This
find it hard to read drunk Should do it while drinking first shot or beer

p1: Varg is a faggot
p2: Adhering to the advice of a faggot will cause you to emulate said faggot, thus turning you into a faggot
p3: one should not be a faggot
c: therefore, one should not listen to Varg (from p1, p2, p3)

There, I fixed it in your autistic format. The only premise I foresee you will find contentious is p3, but that might have to be a point where we agree to disagree.

>consuming drugs for any other reason than consuming drugs
>taking drugs for "creativity mannnn"
>implying anyone else is a homosexual but you