Books for an 11yr old?

My brother is eleven (twelve next year) and is already 100 pages into The Fellowship of the Ring since I gave it to him yesterday. What book should I get him for Christmas that will keep him reading good literature?

He is used to reading kids books like Andy Griffiths and Jeff Kinney. He has read Robbery Under Arms and a few other such books but other than that he’s still in the early reading phase. He’s into action, adventure, fantasy and all that kind of young boy stuff.

I’m a big E. B. White fan.

When I was 10, I found this book on the shelf. I read it and really identified with it and it's a kid's book that didn't feel like it was talking down to me, so that I appreciated.

Re-read it a few years ago as an adult, still pretty damn good.

Samefag. For more action/adventure, and also highly comical, try this.

>twelve next year
Is that how that works?

You do realise there are 10 days left in the year right?

I think he’s a little too mature/old for these stories, no matter how timeless they are. He’s read the Once & Then books by Morris Gleitzman which is about the Holocaust so he’s a bit further on from those kinds of stories

Cheers user, I’ll keep an eye out for then when shopping

>is already 100 pages into The Fellowship of the Ring
Two Towers desu.

If he hasn't read it, Hatchet
If he has and enjoyed it, maybe try other similar tales like Lost in the Barrens or My Side of the Mountain, both excellent boyhood adventures to stoke the imagination of the young reader

Excellent read, stumbled upon it on accident and quite liked it.
Oddly enough, it is written in second person POV if I remember correctly, an odd thing to encounter for the first time

The Phemenonology of Spirit - Hegel

Don't shelter children from reality.

Unironically, Harry Potter. For all the flack it gets around Veeky Forums it's a darn good kid's series.
Outside that, though, The Word Eater is a fun one, as is The Mysterious Benedict Society and The Name of This Book is Secret are all fun kid's books.

Don Quixote

120 days of sodom.
Der Einzige und sein Eigentum.

Dracula

Any collection of Poe stories
The Wind and the Willows

Infinite Jest

Key, already got it tho
Had a look and they seem like something he would love, cheers mate l’ll keep an eye out
Since he saw me read HP so much when I was his age he finished the series a long time ago, I agree that they get an undue amount of shit. Just because they may not have the substance other more deserved, less well known/celebrated literature doesn’t change the fact they’re super fun. As for the others I’ll add them to the list
It’s sitting on my shelf and there’s no way the lil shits reading it before me, would make an interesting bed time story
Just researched 120 days and he would love a bit of light hearted paedophilic rape/orgy/slaughter. He’ll be delighted once he sees it under the tree
He would probably like it. I’ll read it first though

Treasure island
Count Monte Cristo
Jules Verne books
Golden Compass series

Way too boring for an eleven year old.

The Iliad and the Odyssey

The dark is rising, Susan Cooper, and westmark, Lloyd Alexander.

If he thinks poetry and old literature is stupid, just point to the title and say he's not intelligent enough and to prove you wrong he'll read it and finally get into real literature.

Maybe Tad Williams, depending on his tolerance for smooching.

The Hobbit
The Count of Monte Cristo
Lord of the Flies
I, Claudius
The Invention of Nature
Letters from a Self-Made Merchant to His Son
Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!: Adventures of a Curious Character
The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival

The bible

Read fellowship when i was 11 too, good memories, maybe The Stranger?

>What book should I get him for Christmas that will keep him reading good literature?