Why did Rowling write those books in the first place...

Why did Rowling write those books in the first place? This is one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously, each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though

"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

attribute plz

>"Nothing happened."

empowerment fantasies.

british boarding school education is all about reducing the children to the status of mindless drones. it's about beating the individuality out of them.

nothing excites them more than the idea that they are special, that they have superpowers and that all the misery they're experiencing is going to make them powerful beyond belief.

there's the appeal; that's why they sell so well. what other reason do you need?

>My name is Katniss Everdeen

Such an awful name, when you see it spelled out

wish fulfillment is obviously a huge part of Harry Potter's appeal. but to be fair, there's more to it. it gets into issues like bullying, discrimination, abuse of power, pressures of growing up, etc., and the prose is smooth and consistent. it's not very intelligent or challenging, but there's just enough there to make it seem profound to a 12 year old.

I came up with a theory today that the series was generated to kill literature in the most silent, kind way possible.

You can't just start a thread with a "No!"post retard

>british boarding school education is all about reducing the children to the status of mindless drones. it's about beating the individuality out of them.
all in all it's just another brick in the wall.

I love harry potter.
You are all pseuds

This fucking thread again. Old fucking pasta.

>Something he didn't have last time.

I can't see how this phrase can be used so often across the series.

>I swallowed hard.
>He hesitates.
>I'm not really surprised.
>Something is wrong.

The archetypal narrative of Harry Potter was revealed to Rowling through intuition of the Collective Unconscious

As is the case with all literary works of great repute and influence, the author is merely a conduit for the higher power working through them

why do you guys try so hard to hate harry potter
it's just a charming series for children and young teens

>He stretched his legs

I think it's in response to Voldemort trying to get the prophecy in the fifth one. I vaguely remember that same conversation happening several times, so that might be why

I guess that makes sense but it seems too explanatory to use multiple times. Telling of her writing I guess.

GARGH STOP TELLING AND START SHOWING

It doesn't work unless you wait for an idiot to do a lesser pasta OP, try harder next time. You can get like 50 replies with these threads if you know what you're doing

I don't hate it, like you said it's pretty harmless fiction for young readers, but at least here in the UK there's an overbearing mania towards it that you can't avoid. I know more than a dozen people that are pushing 30 and still obsessed with the series, proudly boasting that they've barely touched another book their whole life. The theory mentioned made me chuckle as that really is how it feels.

is it just me or?

i mean, exact sentences being repeated are pretty rare. this sentence is long enough that i remember it, it's used when talking about voldemort searching for "something big. something he didn't have last time." i bet it's only used three or four times max but that's enough

You cant just start a thread with pasta you fucking faggot

The actual text of Sorcerer's Stone only mentions it once. Why does this "great" critic need to resort to lying when discussing children's books?

>Harry looked aroused

wut?

>i swallowed hard
So this is why they cast jennifer lawrence, eh?

I don’t hate it.
I just hate the culture it spawned around it. It’s a fun escapist series for a 12 year old. But if you’re 23 and call yourself a ravenclaw, you should be shot. And it gave us YA; which is utter cancer, and again it revolves around 23 year olds on twitter that haven’t mentally matured past childish escapism.

It’s like the same thing with fandoms. Yeah okay, starwars is a fun movie, but when your identity is built around it you’re a fucking manchild.

Why is this board so obsessed with punching such a low hanging fruit like Rowling? It shows most people here have barely taken baby steps and are just chastising the cocoons they so freshly broke out of

You can thank Tolkien for all of that.

>i hate fun!
>i hate people who have fun!
>i live 100% in reality at all times!
>that's why i'm on a chinese cartoon website arguing with neckbeards!

Jealousy mostly.

>implying I said any of that
There’s a difference between me browsing Veeky Forums for fun, and me going out and buying 10 Veeky Forums T-shirt’s, changing my profile picture to a clover, relating all my political opinions to Veeky Forums, and attending Veeky Forums conventions every few months; all during which I make sure to proclaim to everyone I’m a proud 4channer.

I think youre giving too much weight to a Facebook profile and a few T shirts bruh

man she has so much makeup on

We are snobs who need to feel empowered/validated when confronted with new or diverse voices in our field.

Order of the Phoenix is the most bloated piece of shit I've ever read.

So why did you read it? You stupid person.

I’m reading a book about AI (Life 3.0) and apparently JK only got big and became the first international superstar author because of the technology and media at the time. There’s nothing really that special about her or her work, she was just incredibly fortunate with the circumstances.

I dropped it a third of the way though.

I am kinda a ravenclaw but I also see myself fitting into hufflepuff. Suck on that Mr judgemental.