Ancient Greek. If was Greek pm id force em like no tomorrow

is this bait

it probably is

esperanto

no such thing

/thread

Pidgin
bbc.com/pidgin

Why can English not be a contender? First off it doesn't worry about gender, which from my understanding is a completely arbitrary aspect of other languages that offers no descriptive value.

a small modification of arabic and in fact it'd fit OP's criteria

Danish

>t. gender is a social construct

>First off it doesn't worry about gender
Yes it does. We have male and female terms for things such as actor and actress and we have pronouns that make distinctions based on gender (him, her etc) which is something other languages don't do. So if you the idea of functional in the sense that OP means leads to languages without gender distinctions then there are other languages with less of it than English.

you're an idiot
gender is important
it adds an infinite amount of precision and information
as long as you only keep it for people and animals and add a well spelt indication for it (Like doctor, doctorette, or something like that, instead of ami and amie in french which is spelt the same and is pretty fucktarded and confusing, seriously fuck french, fuck it in the ass)
>Why can English not be a contender?
too many multi meaning words?
consistency? especially with verbs?
full of fucking quirks?

>gender and sex is the same thing

>which is something other languages don't do
are you a monolingual nigger by any chance?

fpbp?

spanish probably

I mainly use sign language for comunication, very functional you speak "louder" by putting your hands more away from you torso and your larynx won't feel soar after having a argument.

this, my favorite sign language words is slapping my wife until she's knocked unconscious

That hurts the hands so I normaly use my belt for that.

>no language quirks

Languages are naturally full of irregular forms and quirks because of the human element of speaking and listening. The laziness of the human mouth, the formation of dialects, etc. ensure that no language will ever be perfectly methodical and consistent. The closest you could probably get is a constructed language that was intentionally made with the idea of being consistent, simple, and logical.

That said, the Nordic languages are pretty simple and consistent because their verbs do not conjugate based on person and number. Still, there are other aspects that make them susceptible to the same human variables as other languages.

>Nordic easy
youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

Finnish. As a native I may be a bit biased, though.

>hurr natural gender and grammatical gender are the same thing

lisp

Diderot said the same thing about French

>more consistency = more functionality

You don't have to use purple prose, pleb.

French is one of the shittiest and obtuse languages in existance and also very unwelcome to coining new words. English and German got it beat by a mile, while Russian was always superior to it.

l'qu'qu'un-du-accent-aigu-grave-fuckeryerbesirregulaires/\//\\loop

What? He didn't say that. Right there he says that French is the language of the learned (sage) while other languages are good for the plebs (peuple).

Every language is pretty much equally functional. People complain about genders because they're dumb *nglos who aren't used to them and to the possibilities that they offer. The tricky thing about languages is that you can't view them objectively, your thinking is necessarily shaped by one of them, so you get this sort of dumb arguments about genders and similar stuff.

korean

That''s not functional. The most functional language would be the one that serves the most functions, where layering meanings would surpass even the range given by intonation.

Magyar would fall into the same class. Granted the two languages are miles apart, but the logical structures built into them are similar.

No Gender
Agglunative
Phonetic
Vowel Harmony
Stress on the first syllable
Flexible word order depending on stress

>no languages quirks
>consistent as fuck
>extremely precise while being terse

Literally all languages can be like this, you just need to stop being retarded.

Nice. Finno-ugric languages seem to have it figured out.

It's quite weird to see someone post American art for once.

this is why I love Veeky Forums

日本語

no

Korean was designed to be easy to learn so the peasants could pick it up quickly. appreciate looking at it from a wetern perspective makes it seem obtuse.

>Korean was designed

natural languages aren't designed. you're thinking of the script, which is irrelevant to OP's dumb question.

How did they come up with such a master language that long ago? I feel like such an useless waste of oxygen whenever I think of all the accomplishments the ancients had 2000 years ago

You're aware of why that is, correct? Middle Ages scribes got paid by the number of characters, so they made French as complicated as possible.

Belts leave marks though. I prefer the old phone book or garden hose trick. Caint get arrested if there's no evidence.

mathematics.

Accents and apostrophes aren't characters

Languages simplify and become less beautiful over time. There isnt a single aspect of latin that isn't present in other indo-european languages from the same era.

>extremely precise while being terse
This seems a little contradictory. Precision requires complexity because you are explicitly trading nuance for exact definition. In doing so you will inevitably get something that's terse.

>no languages quirks
Literally every language has quirks. Read a book.

>consistent as fuck
I hear binary/Assembly/other low-level computer languages are very consistent, save for the occasional bad bit from radiation. Human-readable languages, however, are anything but consistent.

Spanish. Perfectly phonetic. Genders done right, plurals done right, conjugations done right, word order done right, alphabet done right.

Ithkuil

Overall: Ithkuil, no question.
Only natural: Some agglutinative language probably, there are many so it's hard to decide on the best, without a proper and labourious study. But the structure that all employ, is the best for your criteria.

Also, in regards to language, everyone is extremely bias and retarded. They'll just suggest languages they know of, or like already. So unless you take a "scientific" approach, discussion is irritating and fruitless (See this retard: )

What a fucking joke. Latin is THE MOST complicated language ever spoken. There are exceptions to rules and exceptions to exceptions not just with syntax but grammar as well

You clearly have no acquaintance with Ancient Greek or Sanskrit.

>language quirks

What does that even mean? Are you perhaps retarded?

>wants language to be precise and terse

no you fucking weeb

Chinese

>Far får får får? Nej, får får lam.
Other than that, nordic languages are kind of straight forward.

no such thing. but by far the fastest large language is mandaring for both speaking and reading. about 20% faster than english for both

spanish is one of the sloest langs on the planet. no

All asian languages have a fuck ton of double meanings, so no, not at all.

Would it matter if the content+context is shorter than every other languages content?

ching chong ding dong i want to torture the falun gong

kek

I mean it depends on OP's value table, but it would certaintly help.

syntactical compleity necessarily increases as the number of potential meanings increases. unless you'd prefer to speak click languages that have the umbers 1, 2 and "many" maybe you should reconsider

You think you're so funny, huh? >haha bullying this kid!
Step off. Step off from this website. >wahhh is teh babby gonna cwy? wahh!
Go outside right this instance and get a freaking job or something. It's soooo funny making fun of a language? Well, well you could be outside playing in the rain puddles, but no. DID YOU HEAR ME?

Lithuanian

Chinese Japanese dirty knees look at these

You're like a child...

>We have male and female terms for things such as actor and actress
>this is the same as randomly labeling every inanimate object male or female

What the fuck, of course not.

I disagree and anyone that says a certain word order is narrower to truth is making a mad pseud point that hides its patriotism. Wondering how many anons could read it even

Nice argument. I'll frame that one on the ol' fridge.

Does it still work? What's the power usage? Is it roomy? Why don't you buy a new one?

All you'd have to do is develop a system where the letters of words are arranged in a certain way to make a "character" and you would shorten English by a factor of 5.

Haskell

:^)

>english
>you have to spell your name or surname

sure, very functional

>American
>art

>Logograms

That's about as far from OP's criteria as possible.

>Hasklel

>functional
>9342 cases

If you ask for the grammatical vs lexicographic character, it's ancient Greek according to Saussure.

Only correct answer in this thread

Esperanto was literally invented to fulfill OP's criteria

you're right but still its definitely not latin

NO FUN NO FUN

Masterful, delightful, exquisite.

Good luck finding the 5 people who speak it. And it's not like it was made by an Iain M Banks supercomputer, designed to make the ultimate language. It was made by an idealistic; which I can respect, but if you're idealistic and don't put out for your promises then you can fuck off.

arabic

this

Ithkuil.

Mathematics

i mean it still has a few annoyances like silent h and b=v (and s=z=c if you speak southamerican spanish) that you have to memorize to learn how to write words, but yeah otherwise it's nice and it has only 5 vowel sounds instead of having 19 like meme english

still english it's easy to learn, i'm not sure spanish verbs are going to be easy to most people, we have like 4+ different meme past forms and we use all of them often in normal conversation

finnish pronunciation of words is pretty fun, language seems useless otherwise but i'd learn it just to have fun speaking it

>no language quirks
>meme writing
no