Now that the dust has settled

What does Veeky Forums think about this?
Rest of cantos too

I haven't read a lot of sci fi, I read this series in junior and senior year of high school, Dune over the nest summer, and the Forever War at some point. In college I made the transition to literary fiction and never looked back.

It's excellent stuff for post Star Wars I think, he did as best as he could to come up with new concepts, and the fact that the book had a stronger literary bent than most sci fi helped (particularly the Canterbury Tales style of the first book).

Dune is Shit.

The Forever War was better than both of them.

Only read the first one. Was pretty good stuff. I liked how different each portion of the book felt as the characters changed. Story was meh.

Priest > Poet > Scholar > Consul > Detective > Soldier

I enjoyed Fall of Hyperion a bit more, Keats is a great character

Priest > POWER GAP > all other

Priest got me REALLY into the idea of Hyperion and then rest of people fucked it all up.

>Dune is shit
Objectively wrong

Anyway, ill read forever war once I finish 2,3,4 of cantos (only halfway through 2 now)
They say that Endymion is gay tho

Objectively the most imaginitive work of science fiction ever created, I wish Dan Simmons wrote more sci-fi and less gay quasi-historical shit

when i was reading hyperion, i got the impression that he wrote it while blazing weed. a bunch of grass references made this strikingly obvious.

Stopped at the book where the protagonist was grooming a little girl to have sex with later. But it's okay because the kid was grooming him... ??

Anyway, series needs to be rewritten in some places.

Are you talking about the planet where time went differently from ship above it? How was he grooming her? They just happened to met when she was a kid. And in the end she turned out older than him.

I found Poet's tale to be more interesting, people keep dicksucking Priest because it's about muh faith and stands apart from other stories by having almost no relevance with the rest of the book

This was a little weird. She was also just a giant Mary Sue and the final events of the series were a non-ending. First two books were much better than the last two, although Federico DeSoya was a good character.

Poet>Consul>Soldier>Priest>Scholar>Detective

Keats was fanfic garbage

>tfw John Hurt will never play the poet

Hyperion is excellent apart from the cliffhanger ending

the rest are trash

Fall of Hyperion is great muh man.

Maybe I should re-read it.

It just never felt right though.

The ending is shit, but the ride is amazing. Kind of like having a chick ride you like a racehorse and it feels like thr best shit ever but before you come she starts jackin you off and it's not nearly as good but you still cum only it's kind of a meh squirt of semen but you enjoyed the ride nevertheless.

>ONLY THE FIRST BUK IS GUD

hyperion is garbage. there are a few novel concepts in it but ultimately it all boils down to simmons sucking off keats in an incredibly banal and superficial way.

>post Star Wars
good god you are a tremendous pleb
stick to your navel-gazing realist garbage, it'll be less taxing on your meager intellect

what makes you think the dust has settled?

what makes you think it will ever settle?

*allahu akbars your farcaster*

Only sci fi book I want to re-read. The first book was the best genre fiction I ever read. Second and third are less interesting but still good

Rabbi is totally underrated but fucked me up for a week with the bit about Job

Fair enough. Maybe, I'm just a mega normie but as I was reading Priest- I was getting mega mystery vibes and I really liked that. I wanted to know more about the planet itself. The biological automatons who worshipped a computer god. Then it just turned out to be just some war. Great.

Poet>Scholar>Priest>Detective>Soldier>Consul

Priestfags need to die

Consul is overrated
>MUH dolfins

Detective and Soldier are actionpacked, loved Keats and the sexy time-girl

Poet being a goat whore made him for me. Also a quite retardedly slow realisation that he was writing the book that I am reading now (duh)
Does Dan want to have a 50cm thick goat dick?

Scholar made me cry and deserves a movie on its own.
>later alligator
>while crocodile

What were the grass refs tho?

God I fucking hate the Maui-Covenant twats
Also nanny-fucking was lolz

Oh fuck me I forgot the later alligator bit

Man was not meant to feel such feels

Just finished the first book about a month ago. I own the second, read the first chapter but put it down because I wanted to finish some other stuff first.

I had mixed feelings about the ending but I hope the sequels make up for it well.

I thought the priest was interesting but I'm surprised to find out that a lot of people thought it was the best.

I was mostly bored by Kassad and the poet's stories but thought it filled in some necessary information.

As far as the overarching plot goes, the PI lady and Keats really pulled me in with all the stuff relating the AI, human, Ousters, and whatnot. I don't know the actual Keats' writing so I didn't have any expectations going into this.

I was surprised by how interested I was in the Jew's story. It was definitely the most emotionally devastating and the scariest sci-fi-est part of the book for me.

The consul's story was boring as fuck. Dozens and dozens of pages describing some clueless dude's relationship to a woman who, for no apparent reason, loved him enough to be okay with the sort of relationship they had. I get it, they loved each other and had this weird temporal dimension to their relationship. Could have been boiled down a lot because the ending of it was the only interesting part.

Overall, I really liked the book and I'm hoping the sequels are good, though I've noticed my local bookstores only seem to keep the first two in stock, which worries me.