Math and Logic

I am horrible at Mathematics but am interested in the philosophies that underpin it. Is this a good place to start? If not, what before this, or what to substitute it?

Other urls found in this thread:

tutorial.math.lamar.edu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Depends on what kind of math you're interested in. If you're interested in logic and axioms, look into a field called set theory; that's where you'll need to start. A recommendation I would give is Naive Set Theory by Halmos. If you're interested in practical applications (specifically algebra and calculus) literally just go through the entirety of this dude's material: tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

If you're interested in philosophy of math but aren't interested in actually doing mathematics (that is, applying it and/or deriving theorems in it), you should definitely consider necking yourself.

Why would you want to know philosophy of a subject in which you can't even understand its basics? Start with simple textbooks (not only on logic), otherwise you wouldn't know what you're reading about, and it wouldn't help you in any way.

just wanted to say if you don't get too many hits here, try Veeky Forums

>me suk at mads

Bump

you won't make it retard

I don’t doubt it - but what’s the best math and logic primer

You will not make it through that book if you dont like math.
The best book that comes to mind for you is Kleebones book, which is awesome

Euclid, at least the first couple books. They have stuff by Pythagoras and Eudoxus in there. Like Homer, Euclid was not one man

logic, velleman how to prove it
math, get a highschool textbook

Logic? Euclid

I dunno I hated math at school but taught myself calculus at 20 quite easily...its all about your teacher/source material and making it ineresting

The thing is, I'm going to an independent study school this coming semester, and they encourage the interdisciplinary - I am thinking of bringing together philosophy and math - but under what heading? Mathematics and Logical Reasoning? What do you guys think?

Also, you've all convinced me, I am going to start teaching myself calculus tonight - thanks guys

if you can't even stomach simple highschool math drop euclid because you illiterate won't be able to follow euclid's arguments

No, you were a moron when you were a kid, and your mental development was too slow paced for curriculum. Besides you didn't study like most tards that hated math. However, you can't compare doing some calc examples to doing logic

if you suck at math dont even bother

search this on reddit, faggot, it's a fast read and gives you the basic gestalt on calc
>Calculus Made Easy[f]; Silvanus P. Thompson (1914)

Is this true? I know the ceiling is probably lower for me, but I can’t imagine that an appreciable and effective progress can’t be made

>most tards
you realize a lot of people prioritized pussy and socializing over maths yeah? you realize you can still have an above average intelligence without having cared about math honey?

you can try to stop sucking at math before you start philosophizing

>bad at maths but wants to learn maths philosophy
It must suck being simultaneously low IQ and autistic.

you seem really mean, why so angry

You are wrong. What you call above average intelligence is an excuse faggots make all the time. Just accept it that you're average or below. There are shittier tiers anyways.

I've given the most infos and hints ITT if you can't take some heat in an anonymous forum then you aren't cut for it. Besides what OP is aiming for right now is retarded as hell given his premises. He aims for a master's degree but doesn't even cover the pre-requirements for his bachelor's.

also a lot of us attended shit schools

you certainly bring the heat

Why are people so mean? I don't accept "sucks at math" as a premise, it's just a matter incrementally finding out how to move pieces around with established methods which build on each other. Beyond that it's only a matter of remembering the methods and knowing which to deploy where. Any "natural aptitude" is irrelevant to the process even if it may take some longer than others. The point is anyone can learn calculus, it's not a physical limit like jumping ten feet or something.

You a total kunt desu, youre just telling people who are interested in learning something new that theyre all idiots because they don't already know about the thing that they're interested in learning.

You're on a board of neo-nazi holocaust deniers who love the bell curve and such

I’m double majoring in English lit and mathematics and that website is the best out there
Has been my saving grace for my math degree

Euclid’s axioms were not correct tho

niether is Newtons gravity if you want to go down that path

They were. You are most likely referring to the fifth postulate or the first proposition. Which one is it ya spud?

>ur stupid
no, not at all. maybe relative to someone with a 145 IQ
>there are shittier tiers
sure if we go down 30 points there are
>this is an excuse
no its just a fact, in a favela the smartest nogs are running coke gangs and weapons not solving math equations. do you honestly think that drug lords are math wizards and that high school honors math teachers are their intellectual superiors?

I told him that his cognitive abilities weren't ready at that age they covered this in school. Furthermore, I assumed that he is a lazy bum like most students. When you're doing middle school and high school math as an adult you should have the abilities or you are retared. There is nothing to brag about.

The topic isn't calculus, tho. It was just namedropped, fucktard. OP is talking about taking a phil of math route without prior rigourous knowledge of math

Understood

Who hurt you, user? What caused this pain?

This is the denial middle class people and people that try to establish middle class have. Just accept that you're average or below, and move on. Whenever you work with truly gifted people you realize soon that you're an ant compared to such a person. What does it mean to be above average? Nothing. It's just lying to yourself to be better than other niggers without any effort by yourself other than stating so.

Idk for what reason you try to establish the social argument, and why you compare students with drug dealers. When this is the reasoning you're basing your future math/phil career on you should rethink it, bitch

You're a gentleman and a scholar.

man's "logical" symbols do not perfectly correspond to "reality" beyond basic utilitarian calculations, say in Newtonian physics.
Qualia and it's abstractions cannot be captured through logical notation. We don't possess omniscient powers of observation. As a phenomena these abstractions are real both in perception and their effects.

Where do I start if the last thing I really understood was HS geometry/algebra. I know some trig, is that enough to start learning calculus?

Euclid

Fuck modern mathematics

this whole post is a massive self-own

Are you mememing me? I’ve been using Khanacademy but it just seems so Mickey Mouse. I am the type of person to try to read Euclid but I have no idea whether that would help me learn mathematics/“think mathematically”

It is but I don't pretend to be intelligent or above average. I know a fair share of math and logic, tho, which took quite some time to aquire.

The last time I looked at Khanacademy it was only applied math or advanced high school math. If you're majoring in business or economics it will probably be enought. idk their workload tho.

Euclid is a reference. It established a kind of thinking that influenced reasoning itself and furthermore mathematics. You can read it, but it won't make a mathematician.

OP here, This thread helped me realize that I really should study math seriously if I want to study philosophy of math - so I suppose I’ll pick up a highschool textbook

You should go for statistics route or insurance math. Most of the times it is a shortcut that isn't as hard as a math major. Idk how it works in America, tho. Philosophy of math is a study only useful for academics 2bh

>he didn't learn calculus until he was 20

I took Intro to Abstract Algebra I at college and I don't know what I was supposed to gain from it. What's the point of learning about groups and isomorphisms?
I understood the class well enough to get an A, but it's hard for me to understand the real world application that such a class would have.

These threads are hilarious as they expose humanities "intellectuals"

>Should I finally learn calculus at the age of 26?
>No, read a treatise on 2+2, basically the same thing bro

The problem is that your models are not real world entities when you are doing college math in such classes. However, if you can apply these to a real world situation you have easy control over your model since it follows (((simple))) rules

But there is no good mathematician who hasn’t read Euclid

You need to be able to do math and solve a lot of examples that aren't comparable to high school math. If you are not able to do this then you don't need to think about the struggles of writing an elegant paper or a longer proof in math.

>It is but I don't pretend to be intelligent or above average
I never accused you of any of those things user. You come off as unbelievably neurotic and insecure, this without speaking of your own intelligence and whether it is indeed deficient.
> I know a fair share of math and logic, tho, which took quite some time to aquire.
That's a good thing to have, you were right in honing that skillset and I do in a way envy that you took that route. I should have stayed in my chemistry and calc classes junior year instead of dropping out to make money. Though you haven't really convinced me of any of your arguments, this was just another reminder that I took a chance that was not in any way worth the risk and was burned badly for it. Hope you get hired in whatever field, otherwise your knowledge is probably as useless as the ventures I tried to capitalize on.

This isn't reddit. Idk why you faggots mix this place up with reddit all the time. Idk why you write me a blog either. I was here to make clear to OP that his idea is shit. Philosophy of mathematics isn't just some easy non fiction to digest. It's serious business. Furthermore, it is a field that you can only capitalize on if you're a planning a career in academics. Then some faggot appeared bragging about calculus which is completely offtopic, and now you are trying to seduce me with your fag babble? What the hell is wrong with this board?

bump

It's unhealthy to have such an aversion for genuine confessional expression free from irony or malice. I'm not sure what's worse, the seed of bitterness and resentment this cultivates, or the fact that people feel the need to act in that way as an artificial means of fitting in. Bitter eristic discourse is antithetical to philosophy, and should not be a mark of distinction, you shithead.

So mathematicians haven't read Archimedes' proof of Pi?

Absolutely brilliant.

Swine

>Archimedes' proof of Pi
Retard.

Anyway. Down with Euclid, death to triangles.

Grow up you monkeys. The point of axioms isn’t that they’re correct or incorrect. They’re unprovable givens that form the basis of a system of thought, the point is that you can’t get anywhere if you don’t assume them

NO! You should read Lawvere and Schanuel -- Conceptual Mathematics: A First Introduction to Categories.
This book explains a lot more of the thinking employed by actual modern mathematicians, whereas Russell's attempts to found all maths on logic without using set theory. Russell's program failed, and mathematicians soon realised that instead of losing set theory, they were finding they needed to go BEYOND set theory, which led them to category theory.
Also Russell's book is very difficult, whereas Lawvere's starts off very, very simple, but still gets to the good stuff at the end.

It's an approximation. Idk how you can conclude that no math nigger has ever read it. Better drop any pursuit in philosophy or mathematics since you're lacking the basics. Keep on writing your furry fantasies instead and dabble in lit fields.

OP avoided feeling like a failure after realizing in his studies that he cant pursuit his plan, so he avoided to feel like a failure in real life, and he is now trying to prep accordingly. If people ITT were holding his dick and'd tell him he can do everything outcome would be worse. He'd just be perceived as another faggy millenial who is to naive about the world he is living in and who is waiting for everything to be given to him. However, he isn't trying to accomplish a gender studies degree.

>Bitter eristic discourse is antithetical to philosophy
I know that you reddit soyboys are fishing in dictionaries for big words to sound smart. Next time read the meaning of the words you're using. An antithesis of anything philosophy related is something that isn't about thinking at all like being mentally ill like a trans person on the pursuit to cutting their own dick off or some chick that is getting a triple penetration by niggers, but not something that is a (((discourse)))

>Lawvere and Schanuel -- Conceptual Mathematics: A First Introduction to Categories.

I'm not op but I'm going to check this book out, tanks for the recommendation.