Have you noticed that all the people who have genuine intellectual achievements like Elon Musk or Bill Gates or famous...

Have you noticed that all the people who have genuine intellectual achievements like Elon Musk or Bill Gates or famous scientists have a "childish and nerdy" demeanour that is laughed at by snarky females, journalists, humanities majors?

Similarly with many sci first writers, genre fiction writers, athletes, tv show creators, rappers. And not because those are intellectuals. And it's not a "Reddit" attitude because that implies morals and tastes handed down from corporations.

The common denominator is an honest pursuit of their own tastes. I mention this on Veeky Forums because this common denominator is absent in the stagnant world of literary fiction, English literature, and humanities academia, with its focus on sterile worship of older works, herd mentality that discourages praise of contemporary work unless it conforms with the concrete straitjacket of tradition, and relentless promotion of endless critiques that are either leftist screeds or nonsensical dirge.

It's fucking tiring seeing you guys talk about the same authors endlessly because you've been told what to think.

> That picture

Is this the power of capital?

It's the mockery of someone that overly demands humility from people that have actual skill, which he will never have.

>genuine intellectual achievements
>Windows and electric cars that don't work
ok

How are Elon Musk and Bill Gates your go-tos for genuine intellectual achievements? That is bizarre and shows a lack of values beyond financial success on your part.
The same authors come up because those are the ones who have survived. Will your hack sci-fi writers survive even a generation? Let alone the centuries and millenia which the greats of the Canon have?

>Elon Musk
Sounds like a fucking Pynchon character. He should sue his parents for giving him such a retarded name.

Well I mean, you're going to live to see what your meritocracy of "skill" produces, so hopefully it doesn't end up as a monkey's paw type deal.

Freedomland was a mistake.

>Using Twitter
Are we not just a product of our milieu.

I'd just like to remind everyone that Elon Musk is not a scientist. He's just a programmer who's really good at advertising.

jack vance has survived 2 generations you big meanie

what if i'm poor and hate sharing space with strangers?

>dude give up all your independence and privacy and live in a claustrophobic commune

I despise Leftists, the fact he calls it a pathology disgusts me

Most of the posters here talk about the same old shite because they haven't read anything at all, let alone the works in question. They've absorbed enough memes about Infinite Jest or Blood Meridian or whatever to be able to re-meme them without a clue. Together they're like an AI that absorbs the corpus of a chess database and learns to play without actually knowing anything about the history of the game.

But user, learning the history of the game is an objectively inferior way for a machine to learn, as is proven by the fact that such machines trounce human players now, not despite, but in fact because of their alien style of play.

>he thinks he has independence and privacy
>immediately starts blathering about commies
If you wanna talk about pathologies

I recognize the sentiment you've identified which women hold towards intellectuals, but neither of those men are intellectuals.

Where did I claim I *have* those things you retard. Only that I believe we should strive for them

>Musk
>Gates
>Intellectual Achievments

Listen to Michael Silverblatt’s interviews with John Barth. He has an absolutely childlike love of literature beyond any I have ever seen. He also has a podcast called Bookworm where he interviews all types of contemporary writers. You’re wrong, and you are basing your assumption solely on people on Veeky Forums.

True, but the appeal of literature lies in the re-experiencing of the text by reading. I mean, I haven't seen any threads celebrating Readers Digest versions of the Veeky Forums canon. From what I've seen most of the denizens of this board are just pursuing a special brand of comfyness they associate with literature. This is the source of the disdain OP sees in journalists and other cultural gatekeepers for truly creative people who do what they do for love and not for social acclaim, which renders them a bit "goofy" and gauche and not cool.

>not despite, but in fact because of their alien style of play.

And the vastly superior computational ability. This isn't a comparison, a computer designed to analyze and be aware of the playing style of other computers would be liable to be a superior player to computers who have no such data available

But that's not true. The current champion is just a generic deep learning algorithm that played itself over and over again by brute force. It's not a specially designed system at all.

>The current champion is just a generic deep learning algorithm that played itself over and over again by brute force.

But that IS learning from history.

Both brute force and neural network chess AIs generate probability trees based on millions of previous historical games, you could say that they understand chess history better than us.

being jewish is a skill!
having all those sociopathic mental defects and still managing to not to cause everyone connected to you to run in terror long enough to install yourself in industry so that the plutocracy can pump you full of cash and use you as a puppet is definitely some kind of skill

they don't understand anything at all, they simply copy behavior within systems with extremely simple rules

You're an idiot

and you THINK that we do "understand" anything? all it is optimized firing of neurons in specific locations. idealist faggots need to die.

it's awfully convenient to make strawmen

also how is contributing to the western canon, i.e the "Great Discussion" inherently bad?
seems you're just mad at sophistication in some shallow "Will Hunting" sorta way. Are you 20 or something?

also
Why are you equating art with capitalistic progress?

You really are retarded desu

this post made me wretch

Theres a categorical difference between forming and comparing concepts with transferable applicability and schemas and simply arbitrarily walking through a minefield enough times until you blindly reach your destination.
Read Kant you stupid fuck

i get it, reality is hard for Veeky Forums to cope with.

literally false and incompatible with the reality. if what you posits is true, then we would never have to practice our skills. yet we do. why is that? it's because we need to get our neurons to fire the right way so that we can get desired outputs.

why do you think "neural network" is called neural network? it's because it's literally modeled after our neurons.

go read some computational neuroscience you stupid fuck stuck in 18 century.

no you just misused the meme and unironically said something that only a lesser being would think had any truth value. I pity you

>haha reality isn't real! i'm so smart!
this is your mind on continental philosophy.

and he's taking it out on his children, poor things
the cycle has to end

It's important to read earlier works to understand modern work, since a modern author was either influenced by an older one or is in conversation with the ideas/themes presented in an older work. Completely ignoring older writing could leave you in danger of being uninformed.

If you want to make discussion threads on new shit go right ahead but more people will have read a popular older book, let's say Crime and Punishment, and there will be enough discussion to fill out a thread.

>"childish and nerdy" demeanour
>Similarly with many sci first writers, genre fiction writers, athletes, tv show creators, rappers
>rappers
>nerdy
>rappers
The only correct part is that rappers aren't intellectuals, but we already knew that.

Your post is incredibly cliche for someone criticizing the worship of old authors. Has it ever ocurred to you that maybe there aren't that many great current writers? And this might be a bit of a stretch for you, so tread carefully: have you thought about the fact that there are so many more old authors worthy of worship because literature is thousands of years old? I

you’re so dumb you shouldn’t be allowed to breath the same air as full humans. never reply to me again you grub

self promotion IS business

>English literature, and humanities academia, with its focus on sterile worship of older works, herd mentality that discourages praise of contemporary work

Dummies who've never been near a college actually believe this?

its number crunching, I won't get into semantics too much but when a computer can teach itself add 2 + 2 or translate a simple sentence we will have real AI, in the meantime this pseudo-technical verbiage is just hot air

muh skill level

neuroscience isnt claiming what you think it is, its just speculative modelling, we know almost nothing about human intelligence, much less how to reproduce it

>Being a good businessman or an agent of state capitalism in the guise of objectivist self-bootstrapping means you have achieved something intellectually
Can i get uhhhhhh brain?

None of this is true and you're a mongoloid.

thanks for the concern, I'm sure it won't

>genuine intellectual achievements
>Elon Musk or Bill Gates or famous scientists
Musk and Gates are businessmen. And if a scientist is "famous" to nonscientists, it is likely that they're not actually a scientist or at least not a very good one. Popsci layabouts aren't scientists. Elon Musk in particularly is an idiot, especially considering that he threw away his intellectual potential in favour of money cuckery and reddit worship.

Actually his name is perfect for his position: memorable, unique, fiction-like. Reddit loves it!

This. Within one year I've discovered only that this place is full of people who set themselves apart by having taste, which few do amongst the masses. But each relies on taste that is dogmatic at worst and academic at it's least profound, and each usually relies on circular reasoning to justify it, if they don't just shift the argument entirely. That most here have found their own distinction in aesthetic taste without becoming open to nuance is the surest sign of a lack of wit rather than intelligence.

Pages full of engineers who can't reason why bridges stand let alone build one between any stable things.

>my group think!

>genuine intellectual achievements like Elon Musk
people that have actual skill
Apparently buying your way into success is a skill, now.

Yes, Spengler wrote about exactly this. It is pathologic.

>yesh shpeglarr rote eggzactly aboute thith

oy vey

The problem is not with everyone else, it is with the author who thinks it is everyone else's issue. In this case it is OP.
The men you use as examples were not being pat on the back and given thumbs up for being so invested in their respective projects; they simply held a fiery passion which they pursued on their own accord, despite the naysayers and obstacles.
An author too has obstacles, however it is no one's fault but his own should he allow said obstacles to cease his progress on composing his work. It isn't the naysayer's fault if the author decides the inevitable criticism is too much to handle, as it would just be another obstacle dashing our author's hopes should the naysayer leave.
Success is in your hands alone. If Gates and co could do it, so can you

R u retarted

you are far too dumb to understand the 'greats of Canon' so at the end of the day why does it matter

something sad and banal etc. etc.

But Musk is an idiot.

He does not use or understand public transit but feels confident to dismiss it and insist what suits him suits everyone.

>Computational theory of mind

OH NO NO NO NO