What is the best e-reader?

What is the best e-reader?

ipad

judging from your picture looks like kindle is clearest

also i wouldn't buy an ereader unless it used that e-ink technology, I hate reading pixels

Kindle's a scam. Buy a Kobo. Reads even fucking PDF. Most of them are half the price of a Kindle.
If that doesn't work for you just make sure whatever e reader you're getting has at least a 6 inch screen, an e ink display and a front light feature. You don't need the waterproof bullshit.

I use the nook with Adobe. No complaints.

Same. It's less of a strain on the eyes if you read in the dark, and they won't reflect glare.

>waterproof
No such thing. They should be properly advertised as being water-resistant, unless they're fit to be read in the shower or tub.

I'm planning on getting a Kobo, but the Kobo aura one is too expensive compared to the other ones, maybe I'll have to get one of 6" like the pleb I am

Got a 6" Kobo, my only complaint is how often you have to "turn the page" on it. The frequent tapping to page forward hasn't become second nature yet. I'm wondering if one of the larger ereaders might be better, anyone have anything to report on a Boox model or similar?

Kindle Paperwhite.

as now, kobo aura one.
You can read also manga with it

This is a fucking lie. Kobos are fucking garbage, buggy and don't work right half the time.

kobo aura one, although battery cold be better ( = bigger)

I've had Kobo Glo HD for two years now and I really like it. If it broke right now I would probably buy another Kobo, maybe one of the newer models.

t. Amazon representative

>e-reader
Why not just listen to abridged audiobooks, you fucking pseuds?

can you share some sources for audiobooks

Back in the days of freedom you could get torrents everywhere. Now I use a Anonamouse.

I'll gladly take money from Amazon to say that Kobos crash, ghave buggy firmware, and have extremely slow page-turns and no formatting options on any format other than their native format, when the whole selling point is that they can read any format. The Pocket integration and book covers for the screen saver were nice, though.

I recently got a kindle paperwhite and it is comfy as hell. I love being able to search words I don't know in one click, you can also go on rhizometicaly browsing Wikipedia on it. Is really light and adjust pretty good in the hand (I have small hands and I still can use it without any discomfort)
You can convert and kind of archives with calibre or sending the archives via email to your kindle's email and it will convert them. Pdf sometimes get fucked but calibre has an option that helps with that. Kindle + libgen will make you unstopable, unless you can't get off your internet addiction. The only problem is that it is quite expensive.

Kindle also reads PDF and it's actually far better at PDFs than Kobo, and they are the same price.

I bhave knobo glo abn its pretty good. It has a working GNU+linux system in it and you can change many athing, such as inverting screen colours for one

Are Onyx e-readers worth their price tag?

It's not expensive at all for what you're getting. A paperwhite is 120 bucks now. I bought it when it was 300 and it's worth it.

fuck outta here with that nonsense

I’m really loving the new Kindle Oasis 2 with the larger screen. Might be my favorite e-reader ever.

>rhizometicaly

No, you don't understand Deleuze.

I know, I was waiting to someone to catch me pseuding around

so fucking excited to use mine, it's sitting under the christmas tree :))))

I've been using the Paperwhite for a few years now. I'm on my second device because I lost my first one.

>Kindle + libgen will make you unstopable, unless you can't get off your internet addiction

>regular kindle is 70€
I got another one cause im tired of mom using mine reeee

the nonexistent cheap 13 incher

lel

To be honest for the simplicity I just bought myself a rather cheap (?) phone with big screen and use it for everything including reading books. Model is Xiaomi Mi A1.

I see no real reason to buy ereaders when you can get program to read epub on phone and the digital screen is just fine for me.

>unless they're fit to be read in the shower or tub
Aren't they? At least the Kobo H2O?

I bought a Paperwhite on sale and I was really hype about it because I've never owned an e-reader, but then I learned that e-books are a Steam-like situation in which you don't actually own the books you purchase.

Is there a legal way to acquire e-books that you keep for good?

All you need is to either de-DRM the books you download from Amazon using the Calibre plugin, or you get your epub/mobis from a publisher who doesn't use DRM, tor.com and most Humble Book Bundles do not, for example

>either de-DRM the books you download from Amazon

Too paranoid to do this but it's good to know some publishers sell DRM free.
Tor has some pretty cool shit so that's something.
Thanks m8

I don't know if it's the best, but I'm fine with my Kobo H2O (first gen).
I bought it both for free time and study reasons. Since I have to use PDFs every now and then I wanted a larger screen than a kindle; the H2O is 6.8", the Aura One 7.8". Kobos are cool, actually actually a little slow in rendering Pdf, but they support a shit ton of formats (you can sideload comics directly in CBZ).
Once again, these things are not meant for Pdf. But the experience can be easily and much improved hacking the firmware, if you really need them

A physical book

I forgot to say, I paid 80€ (first gen when the second one had already been released) so definitely worth it. Didn't buy the Aura One because
>200€ for a ereader
>no thanks

Is e-ink a meme or is it actually easier on the eyes?
Too much of a brainlet to understand why reading on one of these is better than reading on a tablet.

Should I get a Kindle Fire or Paperwhite? I don't care about watching Netflix, only garbage there anyway. I do use Amazon Video though.

Kobo Aura HD. It's good, and i would buy it again, but you should never sync the damn thing (this goes for Kindles too!). It had a decent chess engine, and for no clear reason it got taken out one day. Still annoys me, more than a year later.

No glare. If you don't understand what glare is, well.

Is it just me or is the Oasis's battery life not as good as the old Paperwhite?
Maybe it's just the new receptive battery indicator freaking me out.

Paperwhite. Fire is just a tablet.

IRC #bookz, libgen, buy on amazon strip drm then refund.
I think its actually in the sticky

E-ink uses actual ink and doesn't rely on a backlight like LCD does, it simply reflects ambient light naturally. It also doesn't have ugly pixel patterns, it's smooth no matter how close you look.

It's actually easier. Get one with internal lighting and you will achieve god-tier comfy.

I think the biggest difference is that it doesn't shine light into your eyes, it shines it onto the screen. Or doesn't, and you can just use your own light source to read, like a physical book.

kindle paperwhite

smartphone with blue light filter. I have a paperwhite but never use it

>unless they're fit to be read in the shower or tub
which they are

>healthy screen
>he fell for the healthy cigarette-tier meme

too paranoid? lol wtf

It's not legal to de-DRM ebooks
I rather not do something that might land me in jail next to actual criminals.

>all these retards suggesting the KAO
Will you at least buy mine off me? I'll even leave my books and koreader on it.

Never owned one, what's wrong with it?

How is the build quality on the Kindle 2016 or the Paperwhite 3?
I've seen people say that their Kindle 1st or 2nd gen still work fine, but I imagine the new models might be somewhat shoddy to reduce costs, is that the case?

To think it took this fucking long for someone to say the truth.

The question was not "what's the best way to read something?" though, it was specifically about e-readers.
They can be pretty convenient.

What truth? A book isn't an e-reader, you stupid cunt.

kobo aura one + calibre + bibliotik
= COMFY

I got a kindle fire 8 for christmas and I'm having a hard time formatting to .mobi with calibre. I've tried messing with the formatting options but I keep ending up with trash spacing. I changed the output profile and disabled font scaling but it still looks fucked. Any suggestions? I might just read books as pdfs through the documents tab since that actually works

I achieve this with a zip loque bag

I'm proud of you

PDFs are basically unreadable on them and that's the only reason I got it. epub/mobi are the same thing to me and my paperwhite does those better than the kobo. The only good thing about the KAO is the size and since the text wraps size doesn't even matter.
Did calibre format it that way or is your kindle set that way?

Gasby.

>PDFs are basically unreadable on them and that's the only reason I got it

you're using reflow on koreader right? pdfs read like a beauty on mine and i prefer them to epubs.

koreader is faster and just works, assuming you're not an idiot and loads a thousand books, or tries opening 15mb pdfs

Reflow makes it better but I still can't stand it. I use a tablet for PDFs and the paperwhite for epubs. The KAO will rot in my closet unless one of you fine folks want to get memed :^)

Which ereaders perform best with comics and manga? I've seen complaints about page turn speed and certain screen sizes making manga hard to read.

If you want color (and a relatively responsive screen) you want a tablet. Any cheap, large tablet would work.

I really like the appearance of e-ink and don't feel like color support is a must. Responsiveness however is important for me. I saw a video of the kobo aura one where it took like 4 seconds after swiping to actually change the page and that seems like it'd make reading very unpleasant. Has anyone actually managed to get it right?

Paperwhite is pretty quick even with huge 400mb files, you can use KCC to convert stuff to manga/comic file formats.

The kobo shill is going to tell you to install 3rd party firmware and several 3rd party plugins to make that piece of shit usable... I've seen that ereaders for manga are big in Japan.

All of those ereaders are the size of a smartphone. Just get a tablet

Aren't Kindles the cheapest thing you can get nowadays?

You can get nooks and some kobos cheaper but the paperwhite is the ultimate ereader and still cheap. Get a used one on ebay or something if you must.

Someone please drop a /lit megafile of kindle books please

Look at a screen for long periods of time.

Now look at the page of a physical book.
Notice how it's so much easier and more comfortable? Less chance for eye strain and headaches?

Ereaders are exactly like that. That's the entire point.
All the ease of a screen, none of the headaches.

I've got a Kindle Voyage and I fucking love it to death.

Does literally everything, and the highest resolution available, so shit like manga is indistinguishable from the physical page.
Haven't tried an Oasis yet, but from what I hear, it's a lot more expensive for not a lot of improvement.

>you can use KCC to convert stuff to manga/comic file formats

good advice

Kindle Oasis 7 inch. Comfyyy.