Should i study classics at uni?

should i study classics at uni?

Other urls found in this thread:

princetonreview.com/college-majors/64/classics
cfmedicine.nlm.nih.gov/physicians/biography_153.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes

though the downside is, retarded folks will think you mean "classical music" when you tell them your major is Classics.

but its okay because you can console yourself by googling 'notable Classics major alumni'

and pretending you are worthy because you studied Greek and Latin like the millions of greats before you.

princetonreview.com/college-majors/64/classics

>We can't overestimate the value of a Classics major. Check this out: according to Association of American Medical Colleges, students who major or double-major in Classics have a better success rate getting into medical school than do students who concentrate solely in biology, microbiology, and other branches of science. Crazy, huh? Furthermore, according to Harvard Magazine, Classics majors (and math majors) have the highest success rates of any majors in law school. Believe it or not: political science, economics, and pre-law majors lag fairly far behind. Even furthermore, Classics majors consistently have some of the highest scores on GREs of all undergraduates.

no fucking regrets!

Not if you want a real career. By uni I am guessing you are referring to universities in the UK? Any kind of humanity is a waste of money unless you are already serious about the subject/want to be an academic. If you're hellbent on being humanities over STEM then at least do something vaguely applicable like Law.

This is meaningless, because it goes by percentages. All of the retards who don't belong in med school major in biology and drag the acceptance rate down. The absolute value of accepted Classics majors is still low compared to other majors; there's just a high percent

cfmedicine.nlm.nih.gov/physicians/biography_153.html

Shut the fuck up Grinch

Yes
>Yes

Yes, but make sure it's a good university.

Sounds like a good way to separate the wheat from the chaffe when meeting people.

It will be about 50% men and 50% women, and they'll all be white. This may affect your decision.

My Uni has classical languages instead of classics. Is that the same course, or something else?

The Classics includes classical languages.
A smaller program may have an overwhelming focus on the languages. A larger program may include history, religion, philosophy, etc.

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to go to law school or graduate school it's an excellent degree. Otherwise you'll be another faceless humanities degree to employers.

Can't sign up fast enough.

i guess. but even then. will they ever really know??? all of the knowledge and beauty we are exposed to?!?!?! LEARN?!?!?!?!?!?!

nearly anyone who chooses to major in classics has some idea of where they're going, and drive--thus the advantage of not being dragged down as a class by throngs of drooling retards.

economics is clearly the best major for a future law student. microeconomics is the language of bureaucracy.
t. law student with a B.A. not in economics

i actually have a soul

why are you shilling econ and law here? nobody here is into being a lawyer and if you knew anything about ANYTHING, you'd know that Classics birthed law motherfucker! ^-^!

or at least law as you know it. in the Western sense. post (insert time period)

econ doesn't teach you latin
without latin, you won't get super super super super extremely wet at understanding legal terminology before even reading their meanings.

im not shilling econ or law, i'm just telling the truth about my field of study. i do think that anyone would benefit from learning the basics of microeconomics. also, your post gave me second-hand embarrassment.

congrats?

yeah, more or less Latin's only use when studying the law. being able to read the twelve tables might help one to start thinking about the essence of law, its means and ends, but as a law school graduate you're hardly going to be tugging at the reigns of public policy. I suppose you might join journal and write a particularly insightful comment, but even so it will likely go unread.

I met two philosophy professors at my college, they were both fags. One was a whiny Episcopalian who got upset about a little racism, and the other was a millennial nu-male. Those who studied with them seemed like nerds.

the nice thing about studying languages, especially classical ones, is that it's difficult to shoehorn in social justice bullshit.

can't pretty much any major become a law student if they aren't straight up shit students?

No, they're pretty much useless other than anecdotes ATM.

I mean yeah duh just keep a high GPA and get a decent LSAT score and you'll probably get into a top school with money.

If you get a B.S. you can become a patent lawyer which imo is probably the safest path to a lucrative career that I'm aware of. It's just easier to pad your GPA when you study some bullshit like English.

yes because law school has no prereqs. that's why you see brain dead losers going into law. all you need is the LSAT and nobody gives a fuck.

>tfw phil major

LMAO what a fucking loser

fucking useless

enough

Most think a Bachelor of Arts is for paintings where I am, so I think the major shouldn't matter. I'm looking forward to taking a Classics course on Latin next year as an elective, however.

Go for it, I'm a science fag but my friend doing classics is loving it. People might think you're a posh cunt but considering it's one of the few humanities that still looks impressive on a CV they're unlikely to think you're stupid. Bonuses include much smaller class sizes than English or History and lecturers that are practically guaranteed to still have passion for teaching their subject due to how academically focused it is.

I had a vegan philosophy prof who took the time to replace every pronoun with the female version. Decided not to take any more philosophy classes.

>not seeing philosophy for the meme-tier subject it is

how would you know?

Probably not. At least in the UK, it's pretty much harder than its professional respect deserves. If you study it at Oxbridge, then consider it, but there are still better degrees there - degrees that are easier and more respected

He read The Selfish Gene and some Dennet, therefore he is eminently qualified to pass smug judgement on a highly nuanced subject with a rich tradition that far predates the birth of Christ

>that still looks impressive on a CV
I wouldn't bet on it. Learning latin and/or greek, studying philosophy, literature and history may be a sign of intelligence, but it's not a very well respected degree for some reason. Learning a modern language or studying english (at least at a good uni) tends to be much more liked by employers. That being said, classics makes you look "interesting".

literally nobody knows what the fuck classics is outside of classics.

why dedicate your entire life to some old books when you can do something awesome and dedicate a little of your life to them instead

no you stupid fucking waste of air, if you don’t study eng, cs, maths, phys, bio, law, economics, finance you are basically a walking welfare drop box. you shouldn’t be allowed to set foot on a uni campus otherwise

lmfao you're retarded as fuck. are you dumb?

with classics you can study all in one. also you can be any major and go to med school you dumb incel.

yeah dude study classic lit and then apply to a top 25 med school bro.
>incel
mein gott

top 3* :)

and you're a complete dumbass if you think we've been talking about "classical literature" this entire time. fuck off 1st grader.

classics is the foundation of humanities. you learn literature, political science, history, philosophy, latin and greek, architecture and archaeology, cultures of the ancient past and their influence on the present.

and i'm barely scratching the surface. i s2g yung twats everywhere

unlikely or just rich
i didn’t read your faggot thread i came in to insult you specifically because its amusing.
>first grader
>>>reddit

I don't even have a reddit account, unlike you karma whore.

Not everyone needs Mummy and Daddy's money to achieve! It's called hard work and family love!.

>do something awesome
like what? plz respond