Tom Bombadil

What was the point of this stupid character?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Piper_at_the_Gates_of_Dawn
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>inb4 the copy pasta
would appreciate if it was posted tho

tolkiens self insert

post it pls

What's it about

he adds depth to tolkien's cosmology because he doesn't fit in with the comsmology. bombadill's entire point is that he is an enigma. he seems like a god but defeatable by sauron (at least gandalf thinks so). he cares about saving hobbits lives but not about intervening when the entirety of the world is at stake.

he doesn't make any sense. that's why he is genius.

So is he the God figure of the series? I can stop the evil, I just choose not to intervene? Makes sense if we're pulling pure Christian comparison.

>Makes sense if we're pulling pure Christian comparison.

in what way?

Eru Iluvatar is God in Lord of the Rings. He intervenes but very rarely.

It's good that this thread isn't dead yet
'Cause I'm still waiting on the pasta like a head chef

I'm dying out here senpai, I need memes

We're the ants and the world is God's personal ant farm. He loves his ants and wants us to do well, but for the mostpart He's content to observe us going about our daily business. Been a while since He interfered in a way that mattered or was even noticeable.

Different user but if I recall correctly... In The LOtR, characters fall into different power bands (from weakest, hobbits and such to strongest, wizards and the like). Tom Bombadill is overpowered, uninfluenced by The Ring's power (something not even Gandalf could achieve), and could have skipped to Mordor with The Ring pierced on his dick... If only he gave a flying fuck.

>the deepest, most complex, most captivating character in all of genre fiction
>"wut is da piont of dis stupit chawctur"

Tolkien read that chapter from Wind in the Willows - "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" - and wanted a bit of pre-lapsarian pagan mysticism in LOTR, but chickened out and wrote Tim Benzedrine instead.

did you know? "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" was considered unchristian by some publishers, who excised it from the book.

And was later used to name the single greatest piece of psychedelic music ever

which is ?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Piper_at_the_Gates_of_Dawn

I like Stoned Jesus' I Am the Mountain more but maybe because I saw them play live and even had the chance to have a beer and talk to the lads.

There really are strong diminishing returns on dumb-wojack variations.

Where we have Gaia, middle earth has tom bombadil

>why is there a fun character >:(

Tom Bombadil was not an all-powerful God who just doesn't give a fuck. That's unironically a reddit meme from people who didn't read the books but want to pretend to.

Yeah he wasn't all powerful but whatever he was, he was more on Melkors' power level than Saurons'.

As such I think he avoided getting involved because he was bound by an earlier commitment by the Valar. He was there as a tourist.

Then again, even as a tourist he nudged things so the mission didn't pratfall right at the start.

he was indeed powerful enough to basically wear the ring in his ear, walk into mordor, and dab the ring into mount doom. he just didn't. he wasn't god, the actual gods were more powerful than him, but his power level was still yuge and there's literally no reason why he didn't do it besides "lol the minds of such beings are fruity and eclectic, who can know man"

he was more like a force of nature than a man, so he had no real obligation to do so

To show that Middle Earth is a whimsical place full of wonder and things we don't really understand. Tolkien said himself that adding things that aren't fully explained makes the world seem more vast and hints at a deeper lore than what is provided by sources like The Silmarillion.

>he was indeed powerful enough to basically wear the ring in his ear, walk into mordor, and dab the ring into mount doom
Where do you idiots get this idea? For all you know his power is limited to his domain.

>and there's literally no reason why he didn't do it besides "lol the minds of such beings are fruity and eclectic, who can know man"
No, it says right in the text that he's some sort of manifestation of mother nature. He'd cease to exist in Sauron's industrial landscape.