Can nothing exist?

can nothing exist?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jt-4hV6Rf1k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nothing cannot not exist, user

y

Nothing isn't even a concept. Try to picture it and you'll think of a space of air or blackness.

I'm picturing nothing, not any of those items in your list. Nothing is the absence of thing.

oh my goodness gracious why is life so fucking bad

No you aren't. Btw, you can't imagine the absence of space.

what do you see?

Your wording is kind of ambiguous here. Are you asking if the thing we call nothing can exist or if the things we call things can exist? Either way idk.

If he's picturing anything, it's not nothing.

I'm not thinking of anything, that is nothing; it's really easy, really. There's no air molecules or any such thing in the universe, as it were before the first day, the Big Bang!, outside of time and space.

Yes
Nothing is the absence of something, such as how space has nothing. You can’t say space doesn’t exist

Not him, but I only see what my eyes are looking at since I'm picturing nothing.

Space is filled with energy and matter and dark matter.

You guys are adorably dumb

Also zero was not even invented until far after mathematics was conceived. Nothing is actually an idea in and of itself.

But space is something.
Even absolutely empty space is still something.

No it isn't. If it is then describe it in any terms but negatives.
If it is something then what is that thing it is?

Nothing? Nothing is where you're headed, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jt-4hV6Rf1k

>substance ontology and scholastic tautologies: the thread

This post was 8 seconds too late

These are the posters that consider themselves Nietzsche fans

empty set

Extenstion

>no artifical sweeteners
It's in the little things.

Nothing isn't anything, it is the absence of something
Like darkness isn't a thing in itself, it's simply the absence of light

So nothing is like cold? There's no such thing, only absence of heat?

Nothing can't extend you idiot. It could be conceptualized as infinitely big or tiny without making a single difference to it

fpbp

>No it isn't. If it is then describe it in any terms but negatives. If it is something then what is that thing it is?

I can do it in one word, multiple times
>space
>distance
>zone
>volume
>expanse
>gap
>room
>abyss
>depth

Nothing is a concept, like numbers or infinity. Of course it exists, but it's merely imaginary.

The real question is if we can imagine nothingness.

the concept of nothing can exist but it can't exist physically qed

Can't be found in nature. Does not exist.

Not really a QED since you didn’t prove that nothing can exist.

the concept of nothing already exists youre thinking about it retard

The structure of how everything was yesterday, is now nothing.

Dildos can't be found in nature

Youll have to define what you mean by exist, but simply put, yes

It exists in the same way negation and conjunction exist. You can have these people in thread above me dancing around the question, asking, well how can conjunction exist, it doesnt exist in the physical world, I cant picture it, I mean even when I try to I end up just picturing the two things next to one another but not the the thing-in-itself, etc

Read Wittgenstein's Tractatus

>Continental plebs don't realize that predicate logic allows you to avoid positing nothing as a substance

None of that is nothing, those are all human constructions

The past has become nothing.

Or put it like this. The future is nothing, literally absolute nothing; but it is certain to be real. We can know of this nothing.

>dude don't talk lol

No

But that doesn’t mean nothing exists, that means something exists

Dont bother

Not for long

This is probably the most intelligent answer. Nothing as a concept has theoretically existed at one point, but once it has then something instead of nothing exists.

Hegel pls

Concepts "existing" in the way you are talking about them is thinking of concepts incorrectly. Concepts are not objects, they arent in the world. If I have a piece of paper with a dot on it, with the dot being something and the rest of the paper being nothing, the rest of the paper does not change into the dot as soon as you start thinking about it. It has nothing to do with you. Thinking that nothing is something is confusion.

They can if you're creative

However, I am not doing the logical fallacy which you imply.

You yourself have admitted that nothing exists to some degree for you’ve been talking about it in your post. Philosophically speaking there is a reason you cannot divide by zero, because it is not a number but an idea. An idea that is loosely defined but never observed, because of the non discrete nature of nothing. Zero is not discrete. It is a state, an idea.

Go ahead prove to me that nothing does not exist by continuing to talk about it.

Nothing by its very nature cannot be observed, therefore perhaps it did exist but preceded immediately after by contemplation and reason. And I am talking physically and conceptually here now. In this case, at the earliest stage of life contemplation takes a physical form.

How can something come from nothing?

Yes

This was solved 2000+ years ago

if so, how

>Go ahead prove to me that nothing does not exist by continuing to talk about it.

Why dont I just repeat what I already told you

>Concepts "existing" in the way you are talking about them is thinking of concepts incorrectly.

What is the way you are incorrectly thinking of nothing?

>Nothing by its very nature cannot be observed, therefore perhaps it did exist but preceded immediately after-

By thinking of it like an object. You are just confused of what is being said by the word exist.

Think of it this way. What does the word "nothing" designate? what does it refer to? What do the words "conjunction" or "negation" designate? What do they refer to?

If you are thinking they are referring to objects that are affected by time and consequence, then you are incorrectly thinking about these concepts.

Me talking about them doesnt change that. I mean, think how silly of an argument that is. Can I not disprove unicorns because I must talk about them to do so?

No nothing is a concept or state. His state did exist.

Think of it this way, even if nothing were LITERALLY THE NEGATION OF ANY THING WHATSOEVER, it would still exist because it is a concept with that very definition.

If I walked up to a man and asked him if he had any apples and the man was appleless, then I could describe the mans state to you by showing you an apple and taking it away. Much like this, applelessness exists, it is a state, much like nothing

The cognition of nothing is not the same as nothing, just like the belief in x is not the same as x.

People thinking has nothing to do with this.

And again, I am fairly certain you are only saying what you are saying because of a confusion over the word "exist"

If you want to say concepts exist thats fine, but again, they do not exist like objects do. They are not objects, they do not "exist" in the normal way objects do. You are also saying essentially nothing by using exist in this sense. You can all it a state, or a concept, and that it exists in the way a state or a concept does, but this doesnt help whatsoever but the next question is how does a state or a concept exist.

Clearly, not like an object.