Watch people review music albums on YouTube

>watch people review music albums on YouTube
>insightful analysis of musical structure and lyrical content when applicable
>watch people review films on YouTube
>insightful analysis of cinematography, acting, and storytelling
>watch people review books on YouTube
>only surface level analysis, mostly of YA fiction
>the people who review classic books are just pseuds trying too hard to come off as intelligent without saying anything meaningful about the book they're reviewing

Why is this allowed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
youtube.com/channel/UCdG-9LLqf1Ch_fZozFJTiZg/videos
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sounds like an untapped market that if done well could prove to be more popular than the YA booktubers.

so why hasn't it been filled, hmm?

Agreed. I would watch people talk about books well, if they could

would require too much effort
seriously, compare listening to an album 3 times to reading and gathering coherent thoughts on gravitys rainbow

>>insightful analysis of musical structure and lyrical content when applicable
>posts melonman

>>watch people review films on YouTube
>>insightful analysis of cinematography, acting, and storytelling

post 1

I have just the right channel for you OP

>apologist for McCarthy witch hunts
>free market libertarian
>internet meme philosopher
Pfffffffffffffffff

NOT

You're wrong on both of the previous statements. Only music channel that ive seen with interesting insights on music is Adam Neely and hes just vsauce for music.
Also NAME ONE channel with anything insightful or throughout statement on film.
>inb4 RLM or YMS

Literature and reading for enjoyment are niche hobbies within nerd culture nowadays. Music, film, and even gaming youtubers review their chosen art form as a serious subject. Booktubers are sharing their “geeky” enthusiasm with other “geeky” (white, female or effeminate white, male) social misfits. Poetry has devolved into a therapeutic expression of base-level angst and ennui while long-form writing is a low-budget do-it-yourself imagination movie to suit the specific wants of a specific reader.

I mean RLM isn't insightful but it is funny

WRONG

Lowest brow of humor

Name one channel that discusses music in an insightful way. Fantano is honestly so bad

For music, you could check out deep_cuts and for film there's quite few but since you only want ONE channel to fullfil that need, check Like stories of old

Yeah what humor do you like, a sophisticated Monty Python man@

Adam Neely, but he doesnt review music. He's only just a human textbook. His videos do offer interesting information and tidbits about music that are deeper than just wikipedia articles, but he hasnt done anything systematic. And his taste in music is sperg tier (prog, metal, jazz fusion), but he knows his stuff.

it's probably because literally analysis is mostly done in writing, you fucking stupid sod.

it's obvious that youtube, an audiovisual medium, would be a better fit for film analysis, an audiovisual medium.

>metal
Lost me here

See , deep_cuts is a great, first of all he doesn't give scores, has some insightful and interesting points and doesn't focus too much in one genre or only new releases

>what are lectures

>tfw he hasn't heard of Venona
McCarthy was right.

Shouldnt be so narrow minded. He knows more about music than prob anybody in this site

It is fucking hard to get an audience. That's just it, no one reads classic books, but its a thousand times easier for any psued to sit down and listen to an arsty album or watch an artsy film

Why do you call them pseuds user? You can have an authentic interest in music or film without having one for literature.

I couldn't care less how much useless trivia he knows if his taste is bad

Woah, governments try to manipulate each other during large scale power struggles? Shocking. Well, that settles it. Let’s burn the constitution and open up a witch hunt for everyone in every walk of life who sneezed in the wrong direction or offended the congressman personally.

There was nothing unconstitutional in the McCarthy tribunals and all black lists were entirely voluntary

>useless trivia
He's studied music at Berkeley, is a professional music and teaches music to irl students and online. What he has isnt useless trivia, its knowledge, user. Weird that for person on Veeky Forums, you cant appreciate that because of something petty such as personal taste.

Berkley is full of Jews and communists

Okay, /pol/

If I were to take the time to do all the work that I would have to put into running a YouTube channel then I wouldn't have enough time to read books.

>Name one channel that discusses music in an insightful way.
youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU

There are hundreds of lectures on literature on YouTube. I don't know what you spergs are talking aboot.

I have often thought about this as an untapped market. I would love to be able to start a channel and do my best to be funny and insightful about books. While the idea is appealing to me, I just have very little drive to get into the whole YouTuber thing at this point in time. As far as I can tell, YouTube is moving in a direction that I don't like. Maybe in like 2011 I would have seriously considered it, back when I had nothing to do with my life, but now I have hopes and dreams. I don't have time for such a time consuming hobby as YouTube. I couldn't get any money on the side even if I did hit it big nowadays, which isn't what I would be doing it for but it might serve to sweeten the deal.

So?

this is a small channel that hasn't really done any reviews of specific books but seems to be heading that direction from the looks of it.
youtube.com/channel/UCdG-9LLqf1Ch_fZozFJTiZg/videos

Talking about why a song is good is the same thing as dancing to architecture.

>literature is far less accessible than film or music

it takes an hour or two to watch/listen to the subject in question, as opposed to the (at minimum) several day commitment of literature.

>the critic will have irregular & infrequent upload times

successful YT channels have regular, frequent schedules. books are widely variant in length; you can't crack open infinite jest, or the recognitions for the first time and have a review up in the same time you could for TCOL49, while the longest albums may only require an other hour of the critic's time as compared to the average album.

>the critic must consume significantly more of the medium than their audience

as said before, this is much harder to do with literature. Someone like Fantano would listen to almost everything that comes out (probably achievable if you listened to 7-8 albums a day), not close to achievable with literature. this limits the grasp of contemporary literature the critic is able to hold.

there are more reasons, but these 3 should be more than enough.

the most successful YT book reviewers review exclusively pleb-tier YA because it's easy, it's accessible and requires significantly less time to consume+review than 'meaningful' lit

My guess was he was being relative.

FANTANO, YOU VAIN MOTHERFUCKER. STOP MAKING NONSENSE THREADS.

Fun fact: a lot books already come with introductions that provide information about the author's life, influences and work.

Think about it. Films are audiovisual. Music is audio (sometimes visual). Both fit well within a medium that is audiovisual (youtube).
Books are words on a page. Words on a page don't fit well within videos. Unless the book is illustrated, there isn't much content for the viewing eye. So a video about a book would either have to be a: some guy reading a book or b: some guy talking about a book. If the books are short and easy to read (YA), the videos will be short and easy to make.

He actually went to Berklee, not Berkeley. Huge difference. I wouldn't say his videos are just interesting information; they are more than that. He's not at all just a 'human textbook'. For many of his videos he deeply researches topics he is interested in, analyses, and presents his findings. I wouldn't say his videos are exclusively about music either. They veer into mathematical and philosophical realms very often. Some of the stuff he presents is widely accepted musical knowledge, but he often goes into others and his own theoretical concepts. The man literally plays pop music as part of his career, so I don't think he's limited to 'sperg' music.
t. a high musician that watches Adam Neely often

>He watches youtube

Adam Neely is great, definitely knows how to make a video essay with a good balance of information, accessibility and information

Why don't you suck his dick

never seen an insightful analysis of anything on youtube

>spend years of your life studying music
>listen to metal
the absolute STATE of that guy

My brother watches this guy named Ralph that very obviously went to film school. He makes dumb jokes but there's a lot of filmmaking insight there.
I've spent years studying and practicing music and I listen mostly to hardcore. I don't play it, because it's boring, but it's my favorite thing to listen to.

*Okay, reality.

HI ANDROSSY SAMSQUANCHO HERE THE BUSISSISISISIEIEIEIESISISISISIISIEIEIEIESIIISISIEST MUSIC INNNERNERNN NERD

>listen to 35-minute album
>easy to talk about right away — most songs are constructed to be earworms, and are therefore easy to remember and interpret
>watch 120-minute film
>easy to talk about right away — plot isn't too dense and you can pretty much remember the whole thing for a while, plus a well-made movie will drive the same point home with the script, the acting, the lighting, and the cinematography
>read 300-minute YA novel
>slightly more difficult to talk about right away— most of the parts are rehashes of other YA novels so there isn't much new to remember/interpret, but it's easy to forget parts because novels don't repeat themselves or use multiple elements to drive home the same points the way music and film can, so there's more work for the reader
>read 600-minute classic
>very hard to interpret offhand — much of the work will be original, and come from a cultural context that isn't your own, so even understandnig the novel fully involves more thought and outside research. it's a longer read, so you won't be able to remember its contents fully, and, like most (good) novels, there won't be much repetition or multiple reinforcement to help you in this.
It's also much easier to say something new/interesting about a piece of media that came out a few days ago than a book that came out multiple centuries ago. Put it all together, and badda bing, classic literature is hard to discuss relative to other kinds of media.

we need a /yootoob/ board

>>insightful analysis of musical structure and lyrical content when applicable
>then you have these lush beats and really catchy melodies and shit

>>insightful analysis of cinematography, acting, and storytelling
>that space battle at the end was so cool and [actress] was so hot... uh... I mean, she acts so well, and I really like how they have non-white actors, that's so progressive
>man Villeneuve is so DEEP

The Black Ponderer

I want to /mu/ dies

u h8 women & r dumb

>>apologist for McCarthy witch hunts
yeah, how DARE he actually try and stop soviet agents who tried to infiltrate america!

>"I have here in my hand a list of 205 [State Department employees] that were known to the Secretary of State as being members of the Communist Party and who nevertheless are still working and shaping the policy of the State Department"
>Never produces list

>be communist who do whatever Stalin tells you to do in order to inflitrate America and subvert it
>get exposed
>whine and hide behind the constitution when you hate it and america as well
lol

>Exposed by a document that no one but McCarthy read.
American "Counterintelligence"

CinemaTyler

His pieces on the making of 2001 are thoroughly researched and insightful, whilst his reflections on directors’ oeuvres are pretty instructive.

doesn't mean there isn't one

Mr Plinkett
Now You See It
Lindsay Ellis (on a good day)
Lessons From the Screenplay
RalphtheMovieMaker
EveryFrameAPainting
YourMovieSucks

teen-core

These people only care about story telling and political implications thereof.

>Is Big Shaq's "Man's Not Hot" LITERATURE??
I'll pass looking at your shitty YouTube channel thanks

>Is Big Shaq's "Man's Not Hot" LITERATURE??
it clearly is

>gives a summary of the story
>calls it a review

Youtube should be deleted

sounds like you're a bit hot there, friendo

>>watch people review films on YouTube
>>insightful
tell that to ZOD’S SNAPPED NECK

the opposite, it started snowing today and my heating's fucked

that image made me kek.