Simple Question

Have there been any worthwhile philosophy books in the near past? (10 year span or so)

kantbot

Nothing worthwhile in the past 100 years

Tractus was an interesting thought experiment but it led philosophy to a dead end

"Worthwhile"?

Philosophy is a relly specialized discipline nowadays. Science has been, for a while, the main tool we use to 'explain reality' (I'm guessing when you ay worthwhile you're talking about novel expanations about relity itself). Most of the major work in philosophy is done through journal articles rather than books.

Sider's "Writing the Book of the World" might be worthwhile since it argues that the role of metaphysics is to explain reality itself. Four Dimensionalism by Sider is another important work.

If you are interested in a recent trend in analytic metaphysics, look into postmodal theories (essence, ground). I don't think there is a definitive book on this yet though.

Meillassoux's "After Finitude" argues that the laws of nature are contingent. It's implications propose that Kant be reliquinshed as the shared point of departure between continental and analytic philosophy, with Hume being the new shared point of departure. If you find this book interesting then the recent philosophical trend of speculative realism will probably be a trove of worthwhile books.

sorry for all the spelling and grammar errors

yes

pseud

deleuze talked abt the contingency of nature way before after finitude, which is like st augustine tier cuckery compared to his analysis of a roll of the dice, for instance

the alchemist
but it's kind of unusual in that the more background you have the more you get out of it (compared to most real "hilosophy" pbooks

Charles Taylor’s A Secular Age has really rocked the social/political philosophy world, published 2007.

It takes a while for truely novel works of philosophy to attract recognition, at least outside of academia.

Zizek’s Less than Nothing is another maybe important work.

Jane Bennett’s Vibrant Matter is talked about a lot.

Even though they were written in the 70s Kripke’s Reference and Existence was just officially published in 2011.

Yes, The Foundation for Exploration by Sean Goonan. I think he's doing an AMA right now actually if you look in the catalogue his ideas really changed my life and will probably definitely change the world

Ignore this poster.

Kojin Karatani is worth a look

kill yourself

I don't really understand how that can be the case, can you point to where Deleuze argues for contingency in nature? He's know for being a Spinozist so I figured he would be of the view that everything that exists exists necessarily.

Philosophy died with the birth of Computer Science. Now philosophers are too embarrassed to get caught hiding in ambiguity.

Full-fledged formal logic was invented in 1879, CS kiddie

Zizek must also die

The Enigma of Reason
he Meaning of Human Existence
The Hall of Uselessness
Cruel Optimism
The Soul Hypothesis
The Rejection of Pascal's Wager
>Zizek
Supersizing the Mind
Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
Today I Wrote Nothing
After Finitude
Better Never to Have Been
Problems of Rationality
The Mystique of Enlightenment: The Radical Ideas of U.G. Krishnamurti
War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning
The Sociology of Philosophies
>last ten years as in the last 17

t. university brainlet

You mean W right? How did it kill philosophy?

Francois Laruelle - Principles of Non-Philosophy

Jordan Peterson is dropping a book in 2018 not necessarily philosophy, but it’s psychological and might scratch that itch.

i wish Jordan Peterson would drop in 2018

from a tall building?

What the fuck are you talking about. The only thing the Tractatus was meant to end were the metaphysical problems Frege and Russell were bringing to logic.