Where to start with him?

Where to start with him?

read the bible first

I read the first ~50 pages of The Idiot and really liked it, where should I go from here?

keep fucking reading it?

Crime and Punishment
or Notes from Underground

Ah, alright, thank you.

Before I read him i researched his bio and his life and stuff. I had the intention of reading Crime and Punishment at the time so I was also told to do some research on Russia back then, its good to have some background info before getting into any book

notes

Actually Dostoevsky made me read the Bible, but I don’t think the Bible is a prerequisite.

This. The Gambler is also a good start, but I think Notes from the Underground is the best starting point for someone who browses Veeky Forums, it will feel incredibly familiar and will be an easy read.

notes because you are a loser

I started with brother's Karamazov because of lit but notes and crime and punishment are the better options

it was hard to pull through wet snow considering how hard it made me cringe

I started with C&P and I got chills when Lizaveta appeared in the room and many times more(horse, Svidrigailof, etc). Didn’t feel the same with Notes but it’s a great book nonetheless. Now I’m going to start The Brothers Karamazov once I finish what I’m currently reading.

Crime and Punishment is very good but it made me feel like an old gossip waiting on drama and soap opera

The elder zossima is the greatest character in all of literature

god bless

I actually started with Poor Folk, now reading Humiliated and Insulted.

Samesies. Although I might recommend getting a Norton Edition. The footnotes are helpful for understanding not only biblical references, but references to Russian literature and society in the 19th century.

Fucking patrician bro
I am always glad when I go chronologically
+1

Oh, it is sheer coincidence that I started like that. You see, a few months ago I remembered that my late grandma (die like 14 years ago) had a bunch of books back in the day, and when I asked my parents where they are now they told me I should look in the attic. This is how I ended up with a bunch of books printed in the 60s, including basically everything Dosto and Tolstoi ever wrote, and I wanted to start with something small to ease me in. Poor Folk just happened to be the one I found first.

just don't do like me and start with The Devils. I read Notes next and I should absolutely have started there.

Thanks for the laugh.

I read Brothers Karamazov first and while it was the best novel I've ever read, I regret not being able to experience the evolution of Dostoevsky's writing, and it's culmination with Brothers Karamazov.

I read notes from the underground first and although I liked it, it made me feel uncomfortable for some reason. I thought it was a good book though, it made me feel glad to not be autistic.

You can read the manga version of crime and punishment!

I started with C+P in school but I think Notes is more digestible if you’re doing this on your own. Bros Karazov still goes over my head sometimes, I think someone mentioned the Bible so that would probably help too.
Also Myshkin is unironically a villain l and I’ve just realized this in the past 1-2 weeks.

Karamazov*
woof

Keep reading yourself.

page 9?

P&V are by far the best dostoevsky translators

is this for real or just a meme? i saw quite the opposite being said about PV here

>Also Myshkin is unironically a villain l and I’ve just realized this in the past 1-2 weeks
Fucking how?

I'd really like to know. Myshkin was quite obviously a Jesus figure.