One of my new years resolutions is to read more. At a minimum a book a week

One of my new years resolutions is to read more. At a minimum a book a week.

Just looking for recommendations. I got image related from the sticky but would love to hear any recommendations you may have.

read cortazar and borges

Any titles in particular?

Ficciones for Borges and Los Premios for Cortazar

Here's another one

Crime & Punishment, Anna Karenina

Dickens is pretty underrated as an entry-level author; David Copperfield got me out of my genre-trash phase. Start with that, or Great Expectations. DC is longer, but it's got a lot more charm.

Madame Bovary (Flaubert); Balzac and Zola have large, strong collections.

Contemporary authors aren't well-/received here, but George Saunders would be a good place to start.

Unironically David Foster Wallace - he's more entry level than you'd think. Start with Brief Interviews or Consider the Lobster

Don't do "a book a week" it's stupid. Do "x pages a day". You'll rush to finish a book in a week and not only will you not fully appreciate it (concentrating on reading fast instead of enjoying it) but when you eventually don't read a book in a week then you'll just give up or revert to what I've already outlined.
Just do pages a day not books a week/month.

Even then, pages of books are not created equal. Reading one page of Faulkner is not going to be the same as reading one page of John Williams.

End the metricsfaggotry and just read.

I agree with this, pages are totally arbitrary. Some books are very dense and take longer, and different editions have different numbers of words on the pages.

Just read.

yeah so when you first start reading a book you can gauge how many pages is a lot. When I was reading Sickness unto Death 10-20 pages was a lot but when I started Moby Dick I could do 40+ in the same time. Based on how fast you read it initially you can find a good target goal.

When I'm overly time-strapped, I try to just go one chapter at a time. And yes, sometimes that is a really painful way to go about things.

My idea was a book a week on average. So hopefully 52 a year, just really want to constantly be reading.

i recommend "the snows of kilimanjaro" by ernest hemingway

>just go one chapter at a time

Try this with At Swim Two Birds

>At a minimum a book a week.

Yeah, no. OP, tell me three reason why do you think you want to, or should start to, read more.

1. I enjoy reading
2. It is a better hobby than watching tv
3. I feel like it improves my concentration

This is dumb. I used to do this and just got anxious about meeting my page goal and didn't enjoy the book.

Go for "x hours a day" and try to make it at the same time/same place. I read for half an hour as soon as I wake up, half an hour as soon as I get home and whenever I'm on public transit. That's enough for about a 250 page book a week.

That starter kit is fucking HS lit trash someone post the other one I'm on mobile

This one
Although Ficciones definitely shouldn't be there

These will take much longer than a week, but will be very much worth your while:
The Recognitions- Gaddis
JR- Gaddis
Infinite Jest- DFW

Oryx and Crake - Atwood

This is a much better starter kit than the image OP has.

Better yet, measure your reading in hours instead. You shouldn't focus on how many pages or books you can get through to stroke your ego, but rather on how well you fully comprehend the book and enjoy it.

I lurk Veeky Forums but it realy is trash for recommendations. People here just want to sound intelligent and could give a fuck less whats a good read or not

This, a lot of meme books here.

i recommended cortazar and borges maybe instead of complaining about bad shit you should highlight good shit but who am i kidding were all miserable

I've also been trying to "get into reading" lately, and been browsing Veeky Forums and the wiki for some good beginner recs, but there doesnt seem to be a consensus on what's "good

not sure if this is any better, but it seems much more heavy for a beginner, just looking at it i see Ulysses and Dubliners

anyhow, maybe I should make my own thread, I'm looking for some general classic literature recs, but also some starter stuff for philosophy, politics, and history, if anyone would point in the right direction, list or otherwise