he hath spread a net for my feet,
he hath turned me back:
he hath made me desolate,
wasted with sorrow
all the day long.

into my heart an air that kills
from yon far country blows

Philippians 2:12

work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Haven't read much of the Bible yet, but I've really enjoyed Matthew and Mark, am finding Psalms hit or miss, and am really dragging my feet through Leviticus.

So far I like these two:

Mark 13:33
>Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is. For the Son of Man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch. Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.

Matthew 16:24
>Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Are you enjoying it? Do you feel anything reading what you have so far?

I really like Jude, it's beautiful and grim and short and somehow sweet.
>[11] Woe unto them, for they have gone in the way of Cain: and after the error of Balaam they have for reward poured out themselves, and have perished in the contradiction of Core. [12] These are spots in their banquets, feasting together without fear, feeding themselves, clouds without water, which are carried about by winds, trees of the autumn, unfruitful, twice dead, plucked up by the roots, [13] Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own confusion; wandering stars, to whom the storm of darkness is reserved for ever.

I'd pick 12 if I had to pick one verse, but it's midsentence.

I love 1 Corinthians 13 too, and if I had to pick a sentence out of that
> [12] We see now through a glass in a dark manner; but then face to face. Now I know in part; but then I shall know even as I am known.
That's some Heidegger tier shit.

Revelation 9:6

>And in those days people will seek death and will not find it. They will long to die, but death will flee from them.

Total amateur here, please do not bully. But how do I read the Bible to retain a single much as possible? Just read a KJV copy straight and write down my favorite verses? Is there a good accompaniment for it that anyone would recommend or is that unnecessarily?

Judges 3:20-22

20 Ehud then approached him while he was sitting alone in the upper room of his palace and said, “I have a message from God for you.” As the king rose from his seat, 21 Ehud reached with his left hand, drew the sword from his right thigh and plunged it into the king’s belly. 22 Even the handle sank in after the blade, and his bowels discharged. Ehud did not pull the sword out, and the fat closed in over it.

‘Post Characters that are literally you’

KJV is the origin of a lot of phrases, that's why it's recommended for English literature.
>filthy lucre
>i am nothing but skin and bones
>eat, drink, and be merry
all appear there for the first time and become cliched because of the influence of KJV English on the language. You'll probably recognize most of the common ones, and some where the common use varies from the original, e.g.:
>Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall.
not
>Pride goes before a fall

Some of them you can see why they're no longer in full
>Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil.

You can skip a lot of the census books and lists in the early parts. Some of them are funny too though.

Yes, most consistently in the gospels, occasionally in Psalms, almost not at all in what little of the OT I've read (Genesis, Exodus, a bit of Leviticus).

I have a pretty strong/broad background in pagan antiquity (Rome as well as Greece) and it's been interesting, even challenging, reading the gospels to see a philosophy of life advocating humble forgiveness; I'm used to reading about humility, certainly, but of a blunt and martial sort, with its greatest moments being times of fiery activity, ignited by desire for retribution, underpinned by a nearly-total concern with worldly results. Obviously pagan antiquity had huge contributions to contemplative life, but the division of contemplation/action is done so differently in the gospels, and with such wildly different priorities, that I'm feeling unsettled. Not in a bad way, just in the sense that I'm being pulled in a new, ostensibly softer direction.

In a way it feels like my reaction to the gospels after years of experience with contemporary pagan writers is a tiny reflection of what the whole ancient world went through when confronted with Christianity. The religions of Greece and Rome seem increasingly hollow by comparison, increasingly like literarily valuable but religiously unfulfilling systems.

It will be interesting to see how further readings in the Bible affect me, especially as I've felt an increasing pull from the Church just as an institution after seriously getting into literature/history and realizing how influential Christianity has been and for how long. The more I learn in that regard, the more inclined I am to try to search for what's there that drew so many people to it for so long. At this point all I can say is that there's definitely something there that I haven't seen or felt anywhere else.

Hosea 1

When the Lord first spoke through Hosea, the Lord said to Hosea, “Go, take for yourself a wife of whoredom and have children of whoredom, for the land commits great whoredom by forsaking the Lord.” 3 So he went and took Gomer daughter of Diblaim, and she conceived and bore him a son.

4 And the Lord said to him, “Name him Jezreel;[a] for in a little while I will punish the house of Jehu for the blood of Jezreel, and I will put an end to the kingdom of the house of Israel. 5 On that day I will break the bow of Israel in the valley of Jezreel.”

6 She conceived again and bore a daughter. Then the Lord said to him, “Name her Lo-ruhamah,[b] for I will no longer have pity on the house of Israel or forgive them. 7 But I will have pity on the house of Judah, and I will save them by the Lord their God; I will not save them by bow, or by sword, or by war, or by horses, or by horsemen.”

8 When she had weaned Lo-ruhamah, she conceived and bore a son. 9 Then the Lord said, “Name him Lo-ammi,[c] for you are not my people and I am not your God.”[d]

>God: Hey you little whore why don't you marry a whore you son of a whore bastard!

Thanks for writing that out user, inspiring me to read it all again. I live in a 99% Christian community and have wondered what a first hand perspective would be like, basically exactly what you wrote out. Very “comfy” feelings from reading that.

Yeah I was (and still somewhat am) wary of Christianity because of the apparently enervating effect it seems to have on peoples' worldly efforts; for example my own stepdad often waves away real, pressing problems by saying stuff like "I'll pray about it" or "God will provide," totally contrary to any belief in active, personal agency, which my readings (of not just pagan antiquity but basically all of history) have taught me is necessary if not sufficient for any kind of success or excellence. I recoiled from that evangelical timidity and only recently has the pendulum started swinging back towards Christianity, as I realize how many active, excellent things have been done under its aegis.

From what very little I know, it feels like modern Christianity suffers from not appreciating more of its history. It's just not very inspiring to an outsider. For example I don't understand the prevalence of mediocre christian rock bands, while almost nobody listens to stuff like Handel, who can consistently make me tear up.

Sounds like you might be more interested in European Catholics. American Protestants are really bad, but I think it's more of the American culture than Christianity.

In general, anyway. I think you’ll find in private schools and Christian universities here in America it isn’t as terrible as you may think. Then again, in my country of 300 million, 299 million are basically Protestant heathens.

Hosea 8:7

For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it has no stalk; the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up.

>John 1:5
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

>Matthew 6:24

You cannot serve one master, either you will love one and had the other, or love the other and hate the one
You cannot serve God and Mammon

The entirety of Psalm 50/51

>Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours; Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours; And ye are Christ’s; and Christ is God’s.
1 Corinthians 3:21-23

But Rabshakeh said, "Has my master sent me only to your master and to you to speak these words, and not to the men who sit on the wall, doomed to eat their own dung and drink their own urine with you?

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's
Matthew22:21

You didn't read the Bible in order, which is paramount for understanding it.

Kill yourself you stupid protestant doublenigger

Yeah I think you're right. I actually went to a protestant private school for a year and it was really banal; didn't enjoy it at all. I don't really agree with some parts of Catholicism, like confession to a priest, but overall it strikes me as a much more beautiful, impressive institution.

What an ironic lack of Christian humility and grace. Did you read the Bible out of order, too?

You don't know fucking shit you filthy prot cunt.

Humility is for your brothers not your enemies.

I also find myself admiring Catholicism for its tradition and history. I should probably just learn more about the Protestant history and what not to gain more interest. Totally spot on about it not being very appealing to an outsider. How to overcome this though?
You’re awesome dude we all like you

a truly powerful feminine rebuttal

>So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

I don't think there's really a need to gain interest in any one branch of Christianity or another. Some people seem to like the simple modernity of American style Protestantism, and if that suits them that's fine with me. The harsh subdivisions of faith seem increasingly misguided to me; they made sense at first I think, given that Catholics literally believed (a) it was their duty to save others, (b) Protestants would not be saved. But that seems more grounded in history than in the actual faith, and seems contrary to the promise of Christian grace and forgiveness.

I was finishing Augustine's Confessions last night and found this passage, referring to varying and seemingly contrary interpretations of Genesis, which I thought was surprisingly modern and sadly contrary to the subsequent 1000+ years of Christian history:
>May all of us who, as I allow, perceive and affirm that these texts contain various truths, show love to one another, and equally may we love you, our God, found of truth-0if truth is what we are thirsting after, and not vanity...If I myself were to be writing something at this supreme level of authority [like Moses] I would choose to write so that my words would sound out with whatever diverse truth in these matters each reader was able to grasp, rather than to give a quite explicit statement of a single true view of this question in such a way as to exclude other views.

Also this is just fiction, but this passage from Rolfe's "Hadrian the Seventh" has always stuck with me (the speaker is the Pope in the story):
>“'Other sheep I have, which are not of this fold'; and these deserve more care and love, but not cheap pity, nor insulting patronage, nor irritated persecution: for if, as has been said, a man shall follow Christ's Law, and shall believe His Words according to his conscientious sense of their meaning, he will be a member of Christ's Flock although he be not within the Fold. And, though We know that he understands Christ's Words amiss, yet that is no reason for Our claiming any kind of superiority over an honest man, the purpose of whose heart and mind is to obey and to be guided by Christ. Such an one is a Christian and Our good brother, a servant of God; and, if he will have Us, We, by virtue of Our Apostolature, are his servant also."

>while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

Yahweh's speech at the end of the book of Job is one of the few places in literature where one finds so great a language as in the works of Shakespeare.

den eisai adelfos mou

Think to yourself user, is it worth it, whatever it is that you’re doing?

I am here for the one or two that actually get it

Not you and your hordes of redditor cock suckers

True alpha male

>20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: 21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

I’m so brainlet I don’t even know which one of us was btfo

I like all of romans 13

So he thrust the whole handle in too?

You can't read the entire Bible (No commentaries) and come to the conclusion that Catholicism is correct. Nor can you read the entire Bible and come to the conclusion that Protestantism is correct. It's as an user posted in this thread; "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling."

Yeah the king was fat af

Why is the apocrypha never mentioned in these treads?

>Nor can you read the entire Bible and come to the conclusion that Protestantism is correct. It's as an user posted in this thread; "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling."
How is that against protestant though?

Because protestants merely follow principles handed down to them from their church elders and hardly have ever read the whole bible during their adult lives. It's so hard to find a single christ follower like myself that isn't "Christian" merely because they were born in a "Christian" family, and I'm from the U.S. where Protestantism and Catholicism is prevalent and this is almost always the case.

That could be true for protestants but that is by no means a part of protestant dogma

>protestant dogma

There is quite literally prevailing protestant dogma