Why are so many prose fetishists afraid of poetry?

Why are so many prose fetishists afraid of poetry?

>poetry
>fragmented sentences with random line breaks and arbitrary grammar and indentation
Poetry is for fucking idiots

why are you afraid of poetry? is there some way I can help you?

Probably because they're afraid they can't say something deep in under 100 words.

I liek poetry when ids about war and fighting like iliad and beowulf!

bam! kapow!

Violent poetry can be fun! But so can ones about flowers or suicide!

hey, this is nice to hear!
I like epic poetry about faith, ethics, and the Odyssey

Don't worry, mate. There are people on here who like poetry. I'm reading a collection of John Clare at the moment.

This

The way the lines are broken up creates an air of some kind which does not align with my sense of natural appreciation for written word.

It is well enough that it is trying to express the inexpressible, but how much is expressing nothing at all? If god spoke, i feel she would speak frankly, and not cryptically.
If there is non-cryptic, straight-forward poetry, please point me in that direction. I get bored of poetry after only a few lines.

I should not have to make an inward shift in this manner: "Okay, forget that there is no directness to what you are about to read or readily sensible sense, because you are now in the presence of 'poetry'."

I don't like making this shift. I would rather the words were immediate in their experience, and not clouded with a pretense of profundity just because the sentences are short and new lines occur way too often. What is so wrong about a sentence filling a whole page? Poets hate trees it seems.

"But every line must be savoured.."
Well I don't need the waste of page to forcibly indicate this. The pretense of poetry annoys me to no end. Speak as clearly as you can. If you want to speak impressionistic-ally, speak impressionistic-ally in the best way you can.

I cannot think of writing a "poem" without speaking in ways that are not natural to me, and art that is not natural is artifice, and you would have a good time convincing me that poets actually think the way they write and do not contrive their thoughts to ascend beyond their origin.

Though, I suppose that is fine. As a striving. But I prefer the raw immediacy of prose over the artifice of poetry.

I appreciate the poetry of Rumi, however, for this very fact. There was no editing. Those flowery thoughts truly flowed through him.

You seem to not able to comprehend poetry. Poetry is about meter, it's about memory, it's about retaining information, it's not about story-telling, and not even about expressing. It's about making machinations through words, that are expressed by way of meter, as a means to typify something, whether it's "beauty" or some other emotion, or sight or sound. And the immediacy of it is not of true import either. The only important aspect is that the poet tries to achieve a sort of perfection. Some find that it is in the expression of emotion, some the "natural rhythm, and feel" of a poem...it can be anything. Part of the art of poetry is that it is about strictly artistic communication, and not about painting a scene with words, like prose is.

I'm not, I just prefer prose. There are plenty of fun poems out there, though:
>Casey at the Bat
>Pynchon's Rocket Limericks
>Dr. Seuss' complete works
>That one about the Hindoo men and the elephant
>Pic related

Good serious stuff, too:
>Milton
>Shakespeare
>Homer
>Dante
>Plath
>And so on

>t. doesn't know what meter is

You clearly don't understand the English language, or language in general, if you think poetry sucks.

No. Not this at all. Poetry is the distillation of a story into its base images, so that one can build a clearer picture of what happened without going too far into story details.

A cigarette is burning
on the ground, ashes
with blood and semen mixing
with rain soaked lashes

tells a story of a rape, the details, the harrowing, the brutality, the condition of the weather, etc, far better than a prose story could.

oxford world's classics suck

Tiddies
On my face,
Soft push,
And I cum all over the place.

Poetry is fun.

How's it feel to have been pleb filtered? It looks like you almost made it

>WTF IS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD
>YOU ARE BEING WORSE THAN MY FORMER CO

I don't even fucking know what poetry is desu. what makes the divine comedy an "epic poem" rather than just an "epic"?

>prose fetishists afraid of poetry
>posts prose poem
I think you meant
"verse", and not
poetry
O dear faggot OP

epic poems are just really short books made to look much longer by presenting the text in really thin columns with lots of empty page space

>how many critics would kill to be able to “ape” me here- to disprove another critic with not just rhetoric but great art itself?

The Waves is primo prose fetishism (i like it too, don't get me wrong), but I definitely meant poetry.

what?
no

Arguably
They're also way harder to pull off due to having more restrictions (meter, rhyme, etc.)

I can't understand a lot of poetry. I can comprehend the grammar and whatnot, but the meaning that's being communicated just seems incomprehensible to me. It feels like I'm reading nonsense. This problem doesn't seem to occur nearly as much with rhymed verse for some reason.

My problem is with non metric/free verse poetry actually
Also, if i dont like the theme i dont even bother reading the poem, with prose im much more tolerant

>far better than a prose story could.

A cigarette is burning on the ground, ashes with blood and semen mixing with rain soaked lashes.

Thread should have ended here. Poetry is an exercise in meaninglessness

I'm a simple man. I like simple poetry.

I've never remembered a difficult or experimental poem. I mean, it's fine if you people want to "play" with language or whatever the fuck you think you're doing. I just feel it's no coincidence the most famous poems are the simpler poems to remember.

And that's what I like. It's cool if you want to get all stupid and weird about it, though. I don't care.

this

I never got poetry

well, I did, but not quite

It's nice when I see it in "Dead Poets Society", but other than that...I don't know metre nor its principles. I don't know anything about prose either, but I enjoy it.

pffffhahahaha
#rekt

kek

I have no meter
I have some rhyme
I am having problems
keeping up with time

The world is cruel
and love is fiction
I am but a drone
heading to extinction

All sciences are fixed
and I'm trying to find my market
Woop! there it is
boom, shakalakalaka

its basically music + words or whatever, yeah?
rhyming is arbitrary, simple algebra. Same syllables. Ridiculous. To really make lines resonate with each other, I defer anyone to the Siren chapter of Ulysses.

Joyce was a lesser poet, who turned to prose to stand out.

that's fine, i get that
it's no different than hating experimental novels

read moar

> if i dont like the theme i dont even bother reading the poem
how do you know the theme ahead of time?

lol imagine thinking this

Nice

Because calling any writing poetry is like calling a dirty urinal art: you can do so, and people may not contest you on it, but there are certainly artistic standards and a pissy urinal goes somewhere pretty low on the artistic ranking.

Not to say all poetry is bad, but it is easier for someone to call "her eyes were as blue as Minecraft diamonds" poetry than it is for them to call it any other kind of literature, in the same vain as labeling the urinal as art rather than a sculpture

sculpture is art however

is this a neutral milk hotel song?

Poetry = words with meter, rhyme scheme, and nonstandard whitespace (line breaks, indentation, etc.).

The meter can be "free" (i.e. no actual rhythm), and the rhyme scheme can be "blank" (i.e. no actual rhyme), but even when a poet writes a free/blank verse poem, he/she still uses line breaks and whitespace to force the reader to "pause" while reading.

To drive the point home, contrast pic related with the last chapter Joyce's Ulysses. Both use block formatting and nonstandard capitalization/punctuation, but whereas Joyce's narration uses conventional whitespace (i.e. the distance between any two words is roughly the same, or determined by the typesetter), Noel uses whitespaces of varying lengths, to indicate longer gaps between words. This is the (main) feature that lets us distinguish Joyce as a prose author from Noel as a poet. It's also worth nothing that although Noel's rhyme scheme and meter are odd, her words can still be put to a kind of off-beat, staccato rhythm pretty easily.

Given all this, an "epic poem" would be an unusually long piece of text that uses meter, rhyme, and nonstandard whitespace.

Forgot to add pic. Sorry senpai.

>when the literature board shits on poetry and can't properly define the epic poem

Exquisite bait, sir.
Please, take my gratitude.

Prose fetishists don't like having to learn a language and follow rules to create good content.

This is really good bait

What a boring poem. I love poetry, but when it's about grammar like this it's not fun to read more than once imho

Absolute state of this thread. Holy hell, back to r/books, the lot of you.