Here's the top books of 2017 as voted by your peers

Here's the top books of 2017 as voted by your peers.
goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-books-2017

Any questions?

i dont care and never will

yeah, why tf do men not write books anymore

Have you read a single book from 2017

book?

I don’t know but it’s like really kewl that like women are so empowered and stuff :3

LOOK AT THE FUCKINGG TOP ONE NON FICTION BOOK I WANT TO OFF MYSELF

best fantasy is a screen play... wth?

Memoir & Autobiography is even more of a kek

> kek

>

Into the Water was fun, reading that Neil Degrasse Tyson book right now and it's a comfy read, and the Sarah Anderson is cute. Artemis was disappointing and the Fantastic Beasts screenplay was boring cause I watched the movie first.

WHY ARE YOU HERE

WHAT BROUGHT YOU HERE

WHERE ARE ALL THESE FERAL FAGGOTS COMING FROM?

WHERE'S THE LEAK? WHO'S THE MOLE?

who made you gatekeeper

Sorry user but sometimes I like to read light books for fun. It's like being a foodie but still grabbing McDonald's or a snickers bar on occasion.

They do but 99% of customers for a bookstore are old white women, and it is very "mindful" to support women. That and women authors do tend to produce the books these people want.

Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and the Neapolitan novels were strong for years and neither are YA. Thats pretty rare.

>It's like being a foodie

Mc'Kill yourself

That is legit what they call themselves

women attempting to be super totally badass and empowered while merely attempting to mimic great male authors

I run a decent sized used bookstore. I post about it here a lot, it's why I need to keep up with new releases. I need to be able to rec and discuss books with the customers. I'll still only read shit I enjoy, and work is the best place for light reads like these. Sometimes I end up really loving something.
Almost all of my regular customers are women, and they often bring me new releases when they're done with them to trade for a couple of old v.c. Andrews or some shit like that. That's a very good deal for me, they really do keep me in business. College aged guys steal a lot sadly.

I don't see much mimicry, it's just by women for women. More of them read for pure entertainment.

Whenever I try reading "light" books I'm always disgusted by the bad prose and dumb plots. I don't read "serious" books because I'm some sort of pretentious elitist, I literally don't enjoy bad books.

Wutta bawse

Because being an author isnt a real job nerd. Just a hobby. Like photography

>he thinks i writing 50k words per week is a hobby
fuck you

Not all light reading is bad.. I guess it does seem like it's been getting worse. There are a lot of non fiction comfy reads. In my bag atm is a neat little book about unique bookshops from around the world, some graphic bio of James Joyce that looks pretty adorable, and a small Norman history primer. Always gotta have those books you can sneak five or ten minutes in with!

Mom?

Yea baby?

lol touched a nerve?

>Goodreads
Dismissed.

no you autistic freak, it was a joke

a poorly worded one

Hey Op, your thread sucks
But GODDAMN Manchester by the sea was good. Casey best Affleck.

Serious answer, no memes.
The market is 90% white women between the ages of 15 and 60. There’s actually a culture to it. Certain tropes must be present to be successful, as well as certain elements. Successful authors from recent years have changed their fortunes by sticking a picture of a woman posing dramatically with a gun/sword in her hand in place of a creative cover. Pack enough tropes in, you get a movie deal. Goodreads reviews are like snarky evaluations of how lacking in tropes certain books are. The greatest sin of all is unlikable characters, since this audience needs to project on the protagonist and want to fuck the love interests. Flaws aren’t fun or sexy.

>NOOOOOOO STOP LIKING THINGS I DONT LIKE
>I PROJECT MY OWN IDENTITY ON Veeky Forums ITSELF AND AM ANGRY THAT SOMEONE DISAGREES WITH ME

have you even read anything 'popular' released in the past 8 years? stop reading YA

the more likely cause of guys falling out of creative writing novels is because there are many industries that suit them better

- film
- television
- video games

all of those industries are dominated by men in the creative writing field

Yes, I agree. I avoid the chart-toppers like the plague, I broke them down because the post called for it. You can’t argue the market doesn’t point a certain way as far as pure capital is concerned right now.

>YA garbage
>Stephen King
>"Muh Vagina"s
Cool

Sounds like you're zeroing in on fantasy YA? It's not quite that bad. Celebrity memoirs are huge, diversity memoirs, YA like Rainbow Rowell and John Green, a lot of different mommy fiction from 50 Shades to Liane Moriarty to Stephen King, Dan Brown, Gillian Flynn, and Paula Hawkins.. It feels more diverse than ever, I don't know why people think it's gotten worse. Harry Potter and Twilight got people reading again desu.

>implying anyone on goodreads is my peer
>implying anyone on this board is my peer
>implying anyone in the world is my peer
I am a golden God. I have no peers in this dimension.

How can you be peerless if you are only a figment of my own mind?

>WHERE'S THE LEAK? WHO'S THE MOLE?
Veeky Forums has been mainstream for well over a decade now user. are you a goddamned underage ban just discovering this place this year?

>list a bunch of terrible genres
>I don't know why people think it's gotten worse!

Better as in more than only a few tired tropes popular reading.. lots of tired tropes.