Why does Doc rape Shasta?

Why does Doc rape Shasta?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bwXLDvAk5LA
youtube.com/watch?v=eueFItCd2ng
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He does not rape Shasta. He rapes her devil twin, the one who was turned on by capitalism. Eventually, she comes back as she was before all the events related in the book, and they will never have a relationship, because things are not the same anymore.

He doesn't. This isn't catcher in the rye.

thats only in the movie

Is Inherent Vice about moving on after a break-up?

no it's about the social and political transformation of so cal beach bum culture

He doesn't

youtube.com/watch?v=bwXLDvAk5LA

The real shasta is 19 minutes in

The only good movie book cover

Ay sure, but parallel to that is Doc accepting Shasta's leaving him.

ye, tho i think of it more as him coming to terms with their *future* than about 'the relationship' itself, which was already fraught and hazy

of course pynchon would groupie tail
and of course dfw would attempt, and fail, to do the exact same
in a horrendously public fashion

You've convinced me senpai

And what do you say about the drugs being accepted by that nuclear family?

straight up do not remember that part
was this the house in the hills?

Bigfoot sets Doc up near the end and leaves a huge bale of drugs in Docs car. But Doc uses a contact to set up trade to ensure his safety and the safety of [that guy played by Owen Wilson in the movie, the bass player]. The actual hand off occurs on some parking lot and the people accepting the drugs are a perfect looking family with a station wagon.

It's pretty nice but "NY times bestseller" and "now a major motion picture" still fucks with it

wow, weird. i remember the set up but i don't remember the hand-off, just doc ditching the drugs somehow and driving through santa monica trying to get out of the fog. never saw the movie. might be a directorial edit or my memory might just be garbage due to the passage of time and too many marijuana cigarettes.
the symbolism seems pretty straightforward, tho. the image of american domesticity and moral rectitude just a front for more illicit behavior, the same behavior people like doc, who just don't conform to that particular stereotype, are hounded and harassed for. everybody doin' it but only some people gettin' knocked over it. compare the relatively innocuous effects of recreational drug use to the cataclysmic forces of widespread real estate development and the advent of computer technology--which has changed society more, and possibly for the worse?

Thanks dude, the movie is great by the way

That Country Joe t-shirt with no panties.

youtube.com/watch?v=eueFItCd2ng

did pinecone really have a cameo in the movie or was it just another ruse?

damn, i fell into a w.a.s.t.e. rabbit hole the other day while i was looking for initial reactions to the announcement of m&d and stumbled upon siegel himself showing up on the mailing list with some cool first-hand pynchon info

pynchon appearing in IV seems unlikely either way you cut it. i don't think he'd bother going through the hassle of flying across the country and being smuggled on set completely incognito for a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo, and if other people who worked on the movie were aware of his appearance beforehand we'd probably have pictures or at least written accounts (twitter, r/ama etc) of that occurring by now

PTA's caginess when questioned about it was probably only a way to build a bit of hype for a movie that's otherwise quite difficult to sell

>i don't think he'd bother going through the hassle of flying across the country
The first writing of his made into a film, dont you think he would want to experience what it is like on set, supposedly he did. And did he have anything to do with the script?

im a lot like thomas pynchon so i know that even in his old age hed probably visit the set but hed stay in the shadows and study carefully all the things happening on stage

He did do an episode of the simpsons though for seemingly no real reason.

what did they mean by this?

>simpsons
>no real reason.
ok