I apologize for furthering this meme but I'm 200 pages in and it's really fucking boring. What am I not understanding

I apologize for furthering this meme but I'm 200 pages in and it's really fucking boring. What am I not understanding

Other urls found in this thread:

aaronsw.com/weblog/ijend
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I was in the same position and I kept reading it to the end. Please do not make my mistake. In the time that it takes you to read this book you could read twenty superior novels. It never "picks up" and the writing is the same throughout. None of the storylines are resolved and you gain nothing from having read it but meme status.

>Let's talk about this book again
>Why?
>Because we always talk about it. So let's talk about this book again
>Why?
>Because we always talk about it. So let's talk about this book again
>again
>again
>again

DFW's works are a product of the decadent self absorbed bourgeoisie of the Late American Empire. Like Wes Anderson movies, It's only worth studying as an example of a sick mentality that is profoundly detached from reality.

>What am I not understanding
anything and everything about life

read a bit more

I don't think he should desu. If you're not connecting with it just put it down! Come back later to it if you get the itch again.. or try some of his other shit first.

It gets less boring, now keep reading

over and over
much like an infinite jest

wow is this now a get thread

If anyone takes Jesting seriously, they are demented. It's a book that's supposed to throw convention out the window, and he talks about alot of funny shit like tragedy in trends and all within the framework of a family personal family tragedy (no spoilers), it's good shit. It's resolution is what you can learn from it- what more can you ask for, some kind of resolution? the story never resolves, it just ends.

>What am I not understanding
dfw celebrating and showing off his genius: staring you deeply in the eyes while masturbating his massive chode, continously saying "yea, you like that, you like that huh," and you are supposed to reply "yes, yesum..yesiree, I do, I do"

>the story never resolves, it just ends.
its the journey,, not the destination mannnn, its the friends we made along the way

All the car chases and explosions are in the second half of the book

It doesn't merely 'just end' though, it's meant to leave you feeling as if you missed some hidden clues in the early, confusing sections at the beginning of the book. You're supposed to have the urge to re-read until you have your answers, and become the crazy M.A.S.H. guy, hence 'Infinite Jest' because DFW meme'd you hard into eternally searching for answers in what amounts to just a piece of entertainment.

I liked it.

nice

Exactly, and I haven't had the urge to read it since, because there are no hidden clues. It's easy to see what happened right from the get go. It's a statement on how people live for entertainment (thus sex) and they are never really fulfilled. Yeah, poignant statement, really seems to piss people off at times.

The Pale King is better

I more or less agree. I found that about 450 pages in it picked up but once I got around 700 pages in I wanted to finish it for the sake of the task.

If you work through it I would recommend focusing more on the themes over the plot. The lack of resolve disappointed me.

aaronsw.com/weblog/ijend

for all the babbys who didnt get it

>The lack of resolve disappointed me.

>The lack of resolve disappointed me.
dont you understand that the lack of resolve encourages the reader to consider the multiple possible resolves: he is saying, here, look at all this work I did for you, now I will leave you to use your imagination on your own and finish the story how you think it should and would be. Go watch a disney fairytale champ

>finally watch Rushmore
>it wasn't particularly funny
>the characters were all assholes
>didn't really have a plot I could describe
I guess I got a kick out of it since I could identify half of the filming locations

You're not forgiven for memeing, but I think give it another hundred or two pages OP. I know that's a lot to ask for but I think it does start to come together about page 300 or so. I didn't like it at first and grew to love it, I've read it three times.

>the characters were all assholes
>welp, guess the movie cant possibly be good

didn't say I didn't like it, just couldn't find a reason

It comes together on the second reading.

well rushmore is a great movie. Bill murray, Owen wilson, Jason schwartzman, the teacher is hot, there are some great scenes, that other person shitting on wes anderson is a moron, who could not create a film as good as a single frame of an anderson movie

This. I took a shit-ton of notes in my first reading, then followed with the notes as I read a 2nd time and everything made way more sense.

>the teacher is hot
>welp, guess the movie cant possibly be bad

Sounds like you be cry.

then you should have no problem answering this short quiz

1. Who sent the attache the cartridge?

2. Where do John Wayne's true allegiances lie?

3. Who is narrating the book?

it's very good and it appeals most to white upper-middle class males, so it pisses off retards like Manoj Kilman

not him but im gonna give it a try

1. orin

2.usa

3.joi

>if you're going to shitpost about IJ, at least fucking read the book you utter plebeains.
The book really starts picking up speed after 200 pages OP. During a first read the first 200 pages or so are weird and their connection and significance isn't really clear, but they are a foundation for the rest of the book.
The further you'll read, the clearer it will become and i know this sounds like a meme, but by the end, you'll why the first 200 pages are the way they are. (Or not, depending on how much of stupid fuck you are).

If I enjoy Wes Anderson's films will I enjoy DFW's works?

>guess pleasing aesthetics cant contribute even a smidgen to the overall quality and value of a work of art

It loops around itself both thematically and plot-wise dude

Yeah

who are Mario's parents?

lol

I'm about 400 pages in and I don't understand it at all but I'm too far in to stop. This sucks.

ok, i am only 400 pages in but that seems pretty smart. The theme of addiction and obsession is brought into reality. Pretty smart idea.