What is the /lit equivalent of the term "kino" ?

Other urls found in this thread:

aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kinetic
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Prose
I want to shoot anyone who uses this word

Canon

literature

Kniga

>he can't appreciate good prose

best book ever written

It's fuckin LIT lmao

Prose.

infinite jest

I like this one

what does kino mean? i dont get the meme

>what does kino mean? i dont get the meme
There are different sources for where different words in a language like English come from, and those different sources are associated with varying degrees of formality.
Again using English as an example, there are many cases of linguistic triplets where the same concept can be referenced using an Old English derived word, a French derived word, and a Latin derived word e.g.
>One result was triplets allowing us to express ideas with varying degrees of formality. Help is English, aid is French, assist is Latin. Or, kingly is English, royal is French, regal is Latin – note how one imagines posture improving with each level: kingly sounds almost mocking, regal is straight-backed like a throne, royal is somewhere in the middle, a worthy but fallible monarch.
aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages
The "kino" meme is basically an extension of that concept where some user a while back posted a list of movies which he had broken up between the labels of kinography, film, and flicks, where it was implied kinography was the highest level of artistic achievement and flicks were the lowest level.
Because "kinography" has the Greek k- form to it, it sounds higher class, much like how that article I linked above points out the progressively more sophisticated sounding choices in a triplet as you move from Old English to French to Latin. Words that appear blatantly Latin / Greek in origin tend to be associated with higher academic topics like medicine or law, hence the sense people get when seeing words like that as being more sophisticated / intelligent sounding.
All that said, the answer to this thread's original question is clearly diegesis.

PS: I would use:
>Diegesis
>Literature
>Stories
As a three tier meme categorization scheme for implying how sophisticated or unsophisticated a given written work is, as the analogous hierarchy to:
>Kinography
>Film
>Flicks

Lito, or eL33to

Reado

kys

kino is just movie in russian

>"Hey user what did you think of this book?"
>"Oh it's um, uhh... I liked it... Good prose."
Every fucking time, it's the only thing they have to say about any book cause they just flit their eyes over the page rather than actually reading it.

>hey, user, what did you think of ts eliot's wasteland?
>good prose!
>uhh.. ok.

>kino is just movie in russian
That's the point, it seems more sophisticated because it's more foreign sounding / less mundane sounding. That's exactly the notion my explanation covered.

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kinetic

Kino means top tier, as /tv/ a meme it's synonymous with everything good about film.
While your post is obviously well thought out, you're missing the point.

What is the Veeky Forums equivalent? Certainly nothing you've listed.

My vote would be lit, as it's not simply an abbreviation of literature, but also a call to all that is good about written work. Not to mention all the other contemporary uses of the word: it's so multifaceted but also so clearly understood. Perfect meme material, even if there is no one-to-one mapping of a word like Kino to the sphere of literature

stop trying to memeify things. it’s embarassing.

>hey, user, what did you think of ts eliot's wasteland?
>actually when it comes to modernism I prefer joyce's the ulysses.
>oof, good prose!

>you're missing the point
How is that missing the point? Your only assertion was:
>Kino means top tier, as /tv/ a meme it's synonymous with everything good about film.
Which is something my post you responded to already agreed with here:
>The "kino" meme is basically an extension of that concept where some user a while back posted a list of movies which he had broken up between the labels of kinography, film, and flicks, where it was implied kinography was the highest level of artistic achievement and flicks were the lowest level.

His post flew over your head pal. Although he isn't really playing by the rules in the first place.

Oh I wasn't disagreeing with that, it was the tone with which you seem to be misunderstanding. Diegesis is a shit choice because it doesn't say anything.

Compare:
>TLJ thumbnail.jpg
>Is this kino?

to

>InfiniteJest.jpg
>Is this diegesis?

It says the same amount "kino" does.
In both cases it's a pompous sounding / esoteric alternative to the more vulgar sounding choices like "flick."
I think that's why your answer is wrong incidentally. You went with "lit" as an analogue for "kino" and even wrote:
>it's so... clearly understood
When what you should be doing is the opposite: Finding a word that isn't clearly understood or commonly used. "Lit" would be way closer to the lower tier "flick" designation because both are very common / vulgar.

What an autistic framework you're stuck in. Kino is a common word to many people. It isn't supposed to sound pompous and it's perfect because it's so intuitively understood. Maybe lit is also a bad choice, but obscurantism isn't the way to go either

>It isn't supposed to sound pompous
It clearly is, that's why the meme started with a list broken down between words like:
>Kinography
>Film
>Flicks
There's a very obvious progression from most esoteric / sophisticated sounding to most common / vulgar sounding. That's the entire point, and if you don't get that you're not getting anything with this topic.

That's the "direction" or "flow" of books. It has significance, but people will just use it as the positive in place of discussion.

We're disagreeing on none of that aside from where you make the leap from the context of film to the context of literature and attempt to shoehorn in your word which is something nobody will ever say because it lacks whatever mimetic quality that all memes intrinsically have

It's supposed to be a word people wouldn't normally say, again that's the entire point. You use the word people use most casually ("flick" for film, "lit" for written works) for the lowest tier, not the highest tier.

B I B L I O

so, is this thread kino?
d-d i use the meme right?

At least you're trying

Kino is the German word for movie you tards. And stop spreading this term, it turned /tv into an even bigger shithole where everyone only speaks in buzzwords. /lit is a board where ideally we should discuss the merits and faults of an idea rather than simplify an argument to a simplistic word.
All that said patrician is obviously the equivalent.

The words ‘kino’ and ‘dank’ belong in hell.

This.

Mods, please delete this fucking thread now the discussion is over.

you mean knjiga

whilst we are having this discussion, what are the lit equivalents of cinema and flick
thx

TV is a much better board desu