New purchases thread

post what you got for yourself for the new year /lit

pic is my recent haul

Most recently picked up Under the Volcano and Lord Jim

I'm reading Herodotus right now, it's pretty good

>when the Persians ambassadors demand earth and water so the Spartans throw them into a well and tell them to get it from there

These two. I won’t buy anything else until I finish them.

>I won’t buy anything else until I finish them

good man

Grabbed these 3 from a thrift store today.

zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance has been peaking my interest the past couple months, let me know how it is user

Good man. In the same time that I read my last 4 books, I bought 101. Now I'm telling myself that I need to finish at least 5 more for every 1 I buy, but the seed has already been planted, I don't think I will manage.

No pic but
>Myths of Tet: Myths of the Tet Offensive
>War is a Racket--Smedley Butler
>Nihilism: Root of the Modern Age-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
>God's Revelation to the Human Heart-- Fr. Seraphim Rose

Just ordered in hardcover. There was only 1 left on Amazon for $8.

Do you ever read anything except classics?

>being a filthy mexican intellectual

I bet you didn't even read Don Quijote you pleb

why would he do that

The Greeks were cheeky as shit, it's great.

>One [Spartan], being asked to go hear a man who exactly counterfeited the voice of a nightingale, answered, "Sir, I have heard the nightingale itself."

I buy two for every one i read. I never saw it as a problem tho. When I retire ill catch up

>penguin black covers

father karamazov dies and the end is just children cheering have fun

Personally I'm fine with my buying outpacing my reading; it keeps me excited and energized to continue reading by letting me glimpse into loads of new books while shopping around, especially in used bookstores. It's time spent resting from reading that nevertheless leaves me better mentally prepared to return to reading.

Reading is fun

they are the patrician's choice

Damn that copy of BK is a thick bitch. Spread it open and let me see inside.

Porta - No World Concerto
Eusebius - Church History
The Essential Goethe (english)

Not going to start them for a while unfortunately as I've made the choice to read almost everything by the divine Marquis

I got Herodotus and the complete Wallace Stevens

Good strategy! My current rule is that I'm not buying any fiction until I've finished everything I own. It's very satisfying discovering the good shit one has lying around but never read.

>quijote

It's a "i'm a hackfraud who can't be bothered to understand Plato and Aristotle outside of my ridiculous Value dual system" type of work

>let me spoil this 200 year old book. that'd be so epic hahaha

>classics
>unironically using arbitrary mass marketing terms
wanna know how I know you're from reddit?

Pirsig is the biggest intellectual wanker of a writer I’ve ever read. Not that he isn’t insightful, but the way he writes just reeks of superiority and forced intellectualism.