What's your favorite Borges story?

What's your favorite Borges story?

Don Quixote.

The Circular Ruins.

This and the one where he meets his future self and the one where theres a guy and a tiger somewhere deep down and all of them basically

The Garden of Fookin' Paths, probably, my dude.

Pierre Menard is my favorite story.
The Analytical Language of John Wilkins my favorite essay.

That one with the cool gimmick.

Good choice. It’s also Cliff’s favorite of Borges as well.

my diary desu

story of my eyes

The Immortal

Theologians.

The Orbis Tertius one mesmerized me

Al otro, a Borges, es a quien le ocurren las cosas. Yo camino por Buenos Aires y me demoro, acaso ya mecánicamente, para mirar el arco de un zaguán y la puerta cancel; de Borges tengo noticias por el correo y veo su nombre en una terna de profesores o en un diccionario biográfico. Me gustan los relojes de arena, los mapas, la tipografía del siglo xviii, las etimologías, el sabor del café y la prosa de Stevenson; el otro comparte esas preferencias, pero de un modo vanidoso que las convierte en atributos de un actor. Seria exagerado afirmar que nuestra relación es hostil; yo vivo, yo me dejo vivir, para que Borges pueda tramar su literatura y esa literatura me justifica. Nada me cuesta confesar que ha logrado ciertas páginas válidas, pero esas páginas no me pueden salvar, quizá porque lo bueno ya no es de nadie, ni siquiera del otro, sino del lenguaje o la tradición. Por lo demás, yo estoy destinado a perderme, definitivamente, y sólo algún instante de mi podrá sobrevivir en el otro. Poco a poco voy cediéndole todo, aunque me consta su perversa costumbre de falsear y magnificar.

Spinoza entendió que todas las cosas quieren perseverar en su ser; la piedra eternamente quiere ser piedra y el tigre un tigre. Yo he de quedar en Borges, no en mí (si es que alguien soy), pero me reconozco menos en sus libros que en muchos otros o que en el laborioso rasgueo de una guitarra. Hace años yo traté de librarme de él y pasé de las mitologías del arrabal a los juegos con el tiempo y con lo infinito, pero esos juegos son de Borges ahora y tendré que idear otras cosas. Así mi vida es una fuga y todo lo pierdo y todo es del olvido, o del otro.

No sé cuál de los dos escribe esta página.

Love that one. It's so clever.

Brodie’s report.

>the one where he meets his future self

"The Other," right? I love that one, it's great. My favorite is probably "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius."

El Sur

"Deutches Requiem" and "The House of Asterion" are pretty good. "The Library of Babel" is up there as well.

I'm being genuine when I ask this: What's the appeal of "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis, Tertius"?

I've re-read that story about five times now, just to give it a fair chance, and it's still painful to get through every time. I don't want to say that it's his worst story in the event that I'm just not understanding it.

The Garden of Forking Paths

At least in translation, I feel that all of Borges' short stories succeed or fail based on the strength of the idea behind them, and the Tlon story, I think, has a pretty strong idea. The notion of trying to will a country into existence simply by writing about it and making maps of it is extremely interesting to me.

It's difficult to choose, but probably...

Death and the Compass

then...

The Life of Tadeo Isidoro Cruz
The Circular Ruins
The Two Kings and Their Two Labyrinths

it's an inverted history of western philosophy, with idealism and materialism swapped

How do I get into Borges? I speak Spanish.

No it's not.

Very carefully.

Also:
>I speak Spanish
no you don't

The Aleph
The House of Asterion
The Immortal
The Library of Babel
The Lottery in Babylon